Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Its supposed to be near Chester :unsure:We are coming over to the UK on Thursday for a few days, and will be calling at Chester on Business , does any one know of a decent Brit-Stop near there; and thought we might have time for a quick visit to Wales. Also are there any Meets/Rally's over the coming weekend???

OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
That looks OK(y) Just to make things easy, do we just turn up when we've found it, or do we have to book? as we're not too sure if we will get back from Leeds until Sunday or Monday.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There's a park somewhere in Chester , think it's called something like rood end car park where you can park all night, someone else will know better

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Its supposed to be near Chester :unsure:We are coming over to the UK on Thursday for a few days, and will be calling at Chester on Business , does any one know of a decent Brit-Stop near there; and thought we might have time for a quick visit to Wales. Also are there any Meets/Rally's over the coming weekend???

Newbury is no where near Chester, Chester is about 4 miles from the Welsh Border, from Chester you are 40 minute drive from Llangollen, hour and ten minutes from Anglesey and Snowdonia, 40 minutes from Llandudno /and Conway or just 25 minutes from the Market Town of Mold and Model Ffamau lots of little sites and CLS around and about.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
What ever you do don't try Chester Southerly Caravan Park. We went for a nosey last night and was shocked to see hundreds of travellers. Seems they've taken it over.
The Netherwood Touring Site is on the A41 so it's quite noisy but very nice.
Chester Lakes looks good : http://www.chesterlakes.co.uk/camping/caravan-pitches.html
The Roodee is just a large car park by the bridge but it is right on the River Dee and in the centre of Chester, just don't think I'd feel quite safe.

Thanks Antony

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
The Roodee is just a large car park by the bridge but it is right on the River Dee and in the centre of Chester, just don't think I'd feel quite safe.

Thanks Antony

Yes it is a car park but the barriers are locked at 10.30pm until 06.00am in the morning (a notice displays an emergency number if you do need to exit during the night). I've never known a single night where there has not been at least one motorhome parked by the side of the river, very often 3 or 4.

http://www.chestertourist.com/littleroodee.htm

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes it is a car park but the barriers are locked at 10.30pm until 06.00am in the morning (a notice displays an emergency number if you do need to exit during the night). I've never known a single night where there has not been at least one motorhome parked by the side of the river, very often 3 or 4.

http://www.chestertourist.com/littleroodee.htm

Yes, there's always someone staying there but just a little too exposed for me :cautious:. I prefer the security of a proper site with loads more MH around me for security.

Thanks Antony

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Live only a few miles from the Roudee even so we still use it when we want a night out in Chester, security cameras there and as Paul says gates locked so we feel quite safe, like everywhere you pay your money and take your chance.

OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Live only a few miles from the Roudee even so we still use it when we want a night out in Chester, security cameras there and as Paul says gates locked so we feel quite safe, like everywhere you pay your money and take your chance.

That will do use nicely whilst we do our business, and enjoy Chester's night life. Could you give us an addresses for a campsite central to the places of interest you mentioned earlier, I think we will give Newbury a miss this time.

Newbury is no where near Chester, Chester is about 4 miles from the Welsh Border, from Chester you are 40 minute drive from Llangollen, hour and ten minutes from Anglesey and Snowdonia, 40 minutes from Llandudno /and Conway or just 25 minutes from the Market Town of Mold and Model Ffamau lots of little sites and CLS around and about.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000

I used Little Roodee car park quite a lot when we lived in Northwich, plus a few times since we crossed la Manche. You can find it at GPS 53.184449 N, 2.892703 W (not E), with its entrance on Castle Drive. Have a look at Google Earth for a better idea of its location relative to the river and surrounding roads.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi @Frentchy we are away in the New a Forest at the moment so don't have local sites with me, but it depends if it's Snowdonia there is quite a few sites scattered around there, if you don't mind travelling a hour and a bit from Chester Anglesey is so worth a visit you have a the scenery of Snowdonia in the background and the coast and small Welsh Villages, and lots of campsites around as well as it been quite easy to wild camp there. If you don't want to travel to far from Chester I am sure @paulmold would be able to point you in the way of some around Mold/Ruthin /Denbigh .

Edit, as I have just seen on another post @keith pub stopovers on his signature is worth a look at.

OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Thanks all for your input, it looks like we have a sort of plan(y). We are only away for 10 days, and are OK for stopping with family/friends for the weekend at Leeds; Friday and Monday will sort the Business stuff. Then off to Derby too see more Family, so OK there(y). Tuesday should see us in Chester, where we'll stay at Roodee car park (looks very convenient) and sort our business stuff out that is in the Town center,should be done an dusted by mid-day. Then its CHILL-OUT TIME!! We are looking for somewhere with facilities to relax, and give the dogs a run, (we are not ging-gang-gooly campers:)) (I'll check-out your links Carol thanks for them) We have to be at Dover for about 9 ish Friday morning, any one know how long it takes from Wales??

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Its 300 Miles from Chester to Dover takes us 7/8 hours. We never travel it on a Friday as it always takes longer.

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Roodee car park great for motor homes. £5.80 for the day and £1.50 for 5pm till 9am. Easy stroll into main shops and bars/pubs and views of the river. Hope you enjoy.
Veronica

OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Slight hic-up:eek: My camper won't fit on my Nieces drive nr Leeds, does any one know of an Aire near by. (y)

OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Does any one know of any Brit stops between Leeds and Bradford please (y)

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Any of these pubs any good? Not exactly Leeds but West Yorkshire.

Broken Link Removed

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
We have to be at Dover for about 9 ish Friday morning, any one know how long it takes from Wales??

Allow as much time as you need to travel to Canterbury P & R, New Dover Road (if you want them, I can find the GPS co-ords), but you must arrive before 20:00 or the barriers won't issue a ticket. Stay the night there (£3.00) then it is 30 minutes to ferry or tunnel.

J

p.s. If you are at too late at Canterbury for any reason, a very quiet location for the night is at St Margaret's Bay, by the memorial for the Dover Patrol (GPS 51.156869 N and 1.392663 E)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Cheshire Lakes is £30 p.n. and full of noisy kids and fishers who stay up nearly all night talking-don't go there. Head out to Wales and Bala follow the signs to the Lake Railway and just before the entrance there is a superb campsite http://www.bwch-yn-uchaf.co.uk/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back