Merc 2.9 diesel 1994 simple maintenance (1 Viewer)

Jan 5, 2015
Les Cabannes / France
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Hiyall

I am the (very) proud owner of a new to me Hymer S500 1994

Trouble is - although I have been savvy enough to do my own regular car maintenance I don't know where anything is on the Hymer eg dipstick, auto box oil level, air and fuel filters etc etc etc

Anyone any suggestions as to where I might access workshop manual type info, I could crawl all over the blessed thing but I'm looking for a shortcut

Tony

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I don't do, but have learnt this week something I can at least pass on

Presuming your Mercedes is similar to mine, apart from ours being 2008 it must be pretty much the same, you cant check the level on an auto gearbox

Our gearbox developed a small leak, I only knew this thanks to @jonandshell he went under ours at the fix it meet last year and told me

So when serviced last August I asked them to look at it, they did and declared 'it is only a weep', we will sort it next year

So last week had a MOT, happened to mention that despite being an auto it almost felt like we have a slipping clutch, some may recall Bev moving our MH at the Essex meet, with lots of revs etc, not Bevs driving, it really needs it particularly when cold. MOT man says not exactly then drifted off into torque convertors and I was lost, anyway, MOT man looks underneath as part of the MOT test, says you have a bit of a leak from your gearbox, that might not be helping, pull your bonnet leys check the oil level

I have rambled so my apologies to those who have stuck with me, the gearbox dipstick has a sealed 'knob' on top that you have to break a tab to remove, he wasn't happy to do that, so I popped over to our commercial garage we use for service

He put it over his pit and confirmed we now have a dripping leak not a weep, in his defence we have done 5K miles since he saw it, he also confirmed that the dipstick is sealed and the whole system is sealed only needing an oil change at I think he said 80K miles, we have only done 16K

So booked in and oil change now done, oil removal involves sump removal, the leak was on the sump gasket so hopefully all now sorted, really hoping that next time when driving cold the gearbox is also fixed, could be the best £150 ever spent

If not I will be back with my own thread telling woes of gearbox repair estimates

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
The box sump is held on with only 4 bolts, the sump itself is light metal and rely solely on the rubber gasket for a good seal.... so likely the mechanic is right. Saw them leaking on the cars from time to time. The box itself is pretty bulletproof and reliable. Have two mercs, both autos, an s class with 50k on it and a 1998 c250 turbodiesel with almost 500k and, other than oil changes, has never give a moments trouble.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My 1987 Hymer 660S has a dipstick for the automatic gear box but you have to remove the interior engine cover to get to it.

Thanks a million Mr Big One for the workshop manual. (y)

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A brilliant download and so very useful!

On opening the files I suddenly realised I actually had the hard copy, bought at a show some time ago, in my cupboard!

JJ :cool:

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
A lot of Mercedes auto boxes have the filler sealed with a plastic cover but you can purchase the dipstick that the main dealer use from
Broken Link Removed

These are a complete set but you can buy the correct one for your model

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid