Leave on or turn off (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
I have a 100w solar panel fitted on the MH roof wired to the leisure battery, question is should I leave the 12v power switch on the MH on or off when not in use. Presumably the panel will not be charging the battery when the 12v power switch is off.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Im sure others will be along with more knowledge than me, but certainly on my van the solar panel charges the battery whether the 12v switch is on or off. Can you tell by the LEDs on the regulator.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Depends how it is wired. Mine charges both leisure & van batteries regardless of whether the system is on or off. The only way to stop mine charging is to take out the link before the controller or remove the individual fuses before the battery connections.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I have fitted a switch to the solar panel leads and can then isolate the solar panel from the batteries but I usually leave the batteries trickle charging from the solar panel and only turn off when driving and the engine is producing the charge.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have fitted a switch to the solar panel leads and can then isolate the solar panel from the batteries but I usually leave the batteries trickle charging from the solar panel and only turn off when driving and the engine is producing the charge.

This is what I have done. The switch fitted in the solar feed is rated at 30A as the standard 10A one would not be adequate in sunlight (400w panels). All batteries charge whether the main 12v switch is on or off. I don't turn off the solar feed when driving as the solar regulator will stop charging once the battery voltage exceeds 13.6v. The switch is just for doing any work on the 12v side as it is less fiddly than removing a hidden fuse.

OP
OP
motorhomewave
Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
Good thinking Golly, just been out to check, read out stays the same whether the main 12v switch is on or off, guess it means it charges the battery whatever. Still wonder whether to turn it off or leave on !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Why ???

The panel is there and paid for and the batteries will only accept whatever charge is needed to maintain full charge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back