Tour de France (Yorkshire)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gooney, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I just received a news letter from Out and About stating pitches still available for the period of the TdF event, looking through the sites published, typically, £60 - 100 per night, grass pitches without hook up, I wish they would remain empty....for ever:Angry:, greedy barstewards:Eek!:

• Like Like x 1
  2. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

Many are also demanding a minimum of 3 nights payment too!!!:Eeek:

Pure greed.

Welcome to rip off Yorkshire.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I hope we all remember these robbing b's after the tour when they are desperate to fill empty sites. I feel ashamed to be British when they do this. It will be interesting to see how the French cope without roadside fields to freecamp and stay a few days.
    How about a name and shame register so we can always avoid staying there.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

:Angry:They do not deserve to hold the event, what with the charges for the Grand Depart also, go to France folks and enjoy it all for free I will be there somewhere. :Cool::Smile:

Rip off Britain:restmycase:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Night Owl

Night Owl Funster

Cheap camp site Tour de France in Yorkshire

Found this campsite for the Tour de France on the route in Yorkshire. It's a great pub with good food. Only £15 per night for a motor home. No caravans but tents Ok.
    www.thestaveleyarms.co.uk

• Like Like x 2
  7. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

I know how much of my money they will get:Rofl1:

8. Gooney

Gooney Funster

In the words of that old song, My baby whispers in my ear, nothing oh sweet nothing:Laughing:

9. Timetraveller

Timetraveller Funster

'WE WILL REMEMBER THEM':Angry:

10. jaytee74

jaytee74 Read Only Funster

just to say i have been going and following the tour de france in FRANCE for the last twenty years all over france and have never paid for a parking spot yet so NO i wont be in ROBBING YORKSHIRE TO WATCH i will be in the alpes or somewhere similar for free jt.

11. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Market forces. It's how capitalism works. If they can get £100 why would they take £50.

Similar with all campsites. €16 ACSI out of season, €50 in season and remember the campsite season is many weeks and every year. not so the Tour.

• Like Like x 1
  12. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

My only hope is that France etc where the tour is held normally dont see what overpriced yorkshire are doing and copy it in future years.

Was thinking of going to see it over here (usually go and see some stages of the tour of britain when thats on) but i will watch it on the box at those prices, yes some atmosphere might be missing but my purse will be healthy - rather spend the money going to France to catch some stages and feel as if ive had a holiday at the same time if my change of van is done in time

I also got the notice from out and about an noticed it said one campsite had lowered its price from the origional amount it wanted

13. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

I'm not defending these prices in any way but I don't remember much of an outcry when similar prices were being charged for camping in London during the 2012 Olympics. Its market forces I'm afraid, enough people will pay but its everyone's right to boycott it as well.
    Please don't tar the whole of Yorkshire with the same brush though, normally I suspect its one of the cheapest places in the Country to visit and one of the friendliest!

14. Viennese

Viennese Funster

15. yorkshirepudding

I was looking forward to watching the tour at a nice location in the Dales but I fear parking restrictions will be in place and vigorously policed. I think I will watch it on the box unless there are plans to go pay per view.
    Even the Teams Presentation which was previously free will cost between £45 and£85. Scandalous. How many other was are there left to fleece us?

16. yorkshirepudding

True but here we have an event which has, for the most part been free. It takes Brits to turn it into a hugely expensive operation.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

We're staying with family in Harrogate for that weekend and we asked them to see if they could find a bed for a friend of ours - all of their friends houses are full too - everyone seems to be heading there for the weekend.

We watched part of the Tour of Britain a year or two ago - there was activity for about 10 mins as the support vehicles, police etc. came through and then the cyclists arrived - I managed to fire off 6 photos in burst mode before they arrived and left - I saw the pack, bent down to get a good angle and they were gone a second later.

If you are looking for somewhere to watch the race, you should try and find the top of a hill - any flat or down hill section will be over in a blink.

18. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

And the major clubs have been struck dumb-not surprising there! Sitting on their respective hands and failing to look after the members interest,so no surprise there.

19. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

Anybody who has watched the Tour, either on the tele or in person, will not have failed to have recognised how the spectators are as much a part of the race as the cyclists themselves. This manifests itself in how they are permitted in close proximity. This seems to be in complete contrast to the way we are appearing to be doing it. We are having dedicated viewing areas with big screens on which to watch. These areas are designed to hold between 1000 & 5000 spectators. This is not what I would describe as watching it live. No doubt there will be an admission charge for this and just to deter you from making your own plans, look at the extract below from one of their press releases. Everything has the appearance of being couched in such a way as to put you off doing anything other than spend some of your money with them.

"TRAVELLING BY CAR
    Most roads along the route will be closed for a minimum of eight hours before and after the Tour and even longer at start and finish spots. Check here to find out which closures may affect your journey.

Restrictions will also limit where you can park your car, campervan or vehicle. Parking along the route here is more controlled than in France due to the narrowness of some of our roads and the need to keep the route clear for spectators, riders, the caravan and emergency services.

Check in advance what parking is available where you want to watch.

Be warned that the best sports will fill up early, so get your sharpened elbows ready, plan in advance and get there early! Also think about how far you’ll need to walk to be able to see the Tour - with the road closures and parking restrictions even the closest car parks may involve a 3-4 mile walk.."

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

No idea about the CC but several sections/DAs of the C&CC have arranged temporary sites at the cheapest prices they can achieve. However, at least one was cancelled by the landowner (Otley Town FC as posted on previous threads) when they realised they could charge a lot more for running their own, unlicensed, site.