Tour de France (Yorkshire) (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I just received a news letter from Out and About stating pitches still available for the period of the TdF event, looking through the sites published, typically, £60 - 100 per night, grass pitches without hook up, I wish they would remain empty....for ever:Angry:, greedy barstewards:whatthe:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Many are also demanding a minimum of 3 nights payment too!!!:Eeek:

Pure greed.

Welcome to rip off Yorkshire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I hope we all remember these robbing b's after the tour when they are desperate to fill empty sites. I feel ashamed to be British when they do this. It will be interesting to see how the French cope without roadside fields to freecamp and stay a few days.
How about a name and shame register so we can always avoid staying there.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
:Angry:They do not deserve to hold the event, what with the charges for the Grand Depart also, go to France folks and enjoy it all for free I will be there somewhere. :Cool::Smile:

Rip off Britain:restmycase:

Night Owl

Free Member
Oct 24, 2011
Nr York
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
20 years
Cheap camp site Tour de France in Yorkshire

Found this campsite for the Tour de France on the route in Yorkshire. It's a great pub with good food. Only £15 per night for a motor home. No caravans but tents Ok.
www.thestaveleyarms.co.uk

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
I hope we all remember these robbing b's after the tour when they are desperate to fill empty sites. I feel ashamed to be British when they do this. It will be interesting to see how the French cope without roadside fields to freecamp and stay a few days.
How about a name and shame register so we can always avoid staying there.

'WE WILL REMEMBER THEM':Angry:

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
I just received a news letter from Out and About stating pitches still available for the period of the TdF event, looking through the sites published, typically, £60 - 100 per night, grass pitches without hook up, I wish they would remain empty....for ever:Angry:, greedy barstewards:whatthe:

just to say i have been going and following the tour de france in FRANCE for the last twenty years all over france and have never paid for a parking spot yet so NO i wont be in ROBBING YORKSHIRE TO WATCH i will be in the alpes or somewhere similar for free jt.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Market forces. It's how capitalism works. If they can get £100 why would they take £50.

Similar with all campsites. €16 ACSI out of season, €50 in season and remember the campsite season is many weeks and every year. not so the Tour.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
My only hope is that France etc where the tour is held normally dont see what overpriced yorkshire are doing and copy it in future years.

Was thinking of going to see it over here (usually go and see some stages of the tour of britain when thats on) but i will watch it on the box at those prices, yes some atmosphere might be missing but my purse will be healthy - rather spend the money going to France to catch some stages and feel as if ive had a holiday at the same time if my change of van is done in time

I also got the notice from out and about an noticed it said one campsite had lowered its price from the origional amount it wanted

Last edited:
D

DM14742

Deleted User
I'm not defending these prices in any way but I don't remember much of an outcry when similar prices were being charged for camping in London during the 2012 Olympics. Its market forces I'm afraid, enough people will pay but its everyone's right to boycott it as well.
Please don't tar the whole of Yorkshire with the same brush though, normally I suspect its one of the cheapest places in the Country to visit and one of the friendliest!

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Exp
September '09
I was looking forward to watching the tour at a nice location in the Dales but I fear parking restrictions will be in place and vigorously policed. I think I will watch it on the box unless there are plans to go pay per view.
Even the Teams Presentation which was previously free will cost between £45 and£85. Scandalous. How many other was are there left to fleece us?

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Exp
September '09
Market forces. It's how capitalism works. If they can get £100 why would they take £50.

Similar with all campsites. €16 ACSI out of season, €50 in season and remember the campsite season is many weeks and every year. not so the Tour.

True but here we have an event which has, for the most part been free. It takes Brits to turn it into a hugely expensive operation.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We're staying with family in Harrogate for that weekend and we asked them to see if they could find a bed for a friend of ours - all of their friends houses are full too - everyone seems to be heading there for the weekend.

We watched part of the Tour of Britain a year or two ago - there was activity for about 10 mins as the support vehicles, police etc. came through and then the cyclists arrived - I managed to fire off 6 photos in burst mode before they arrived and left - I saw the pack, bent down to get a good angle and they were gone a second later.

If you are looking for somewhere to watch the race, you should try and find the top of a hill - any flat or down hill section will be over in a blink.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
And the major clubs have been struck dumb-not surprising there! Sitting on their respective hands and failing to look after the members interest,so no surprise there.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Anybody who has watched the Tour, either on the tele or in person, will not have failed to have recognised how the spectators are as much a part of the race as the cyclists themselves. This manifests itself in how they are permitted in close proximity. This seems to be in complete contrast to the way we are appearing to be doing it. We are having dedicated viewing areas with big screens on which to watch. These areas are designed to hold between 1000 & 5000 spectators. This is not what I would describe as watching it live. No doubt there will be an admission charge for this and just to deter you from making your own plans, look at the extract below from one of their press releases. Everything has the appearance of being couched in such a way as to put you off doing anything other than spend some of your money with them.

"TRAVELLING BY CAR
Most roads along the route will be closed for a minimum of eight hours before and after the Tour and even longer at start and finish spots. Check here to find out which closures may affect your journey.

Restrictions will also limit where you can park your car, campervan or vehicle. Parking along the route here is more controlled than in France due to the narrowness of some of our roads and the need to keep the route clear for spectators, riders, the caravan and emergency services.

Check in advance what parking is available where you want to watch.

Be warned that the best sports will fill up early, so get your sharpened elbows ready, plan in advance and get there early! Also think about how far you’ll need to walk to be able to see the Tour - with the road closures and parking restrictions even the closest car parks may involve a 3-4 mile walk.."

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
And the major clubs have been struck dumb-not surprising there! Sitting on their respective hands and failing to look after the members interest,so no surprise there.

No idea about the CC but several sections/DAs of the C&CC have arranged temporary sites at the cheapest prices they can achieve. However, at least one was cancelled by the landowner (Otley Town FC as posted on previous threads) when they realised they could charge a lot more for running their own, unlicensed, site.

rwhites1

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Cl Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
since 2001
I will be going into Lancashire when the Tour takes place.We paid for a MCC rally at OTLEY F.C. organised last year.They came back at the rally organises wanting £50 a night from £10 so they told them where to go.Remember this site and boycott it next year.

OTLEY FOOTBALL CLUB

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I will be going into Lancashire when the Tour takes place.We paid for a MCC rally at OTLEY F.C. organised last year.They came back at the rally organises wanting £50 a night from £10 so they told them where to go.Remember this site and boycott it next year.

Interesting. Brecon Rugby Club charge top ££££ for the Brecon Jazz Festival. They charge per person. Their huge field is always full. Why should they charge less then.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Interesting. Brecon Rugby Club charge top ££££ for the Brecon Jazz Festival. They charge per person. Their huge field is always full. Why should they charge less then.

They're charging even more this year....so much so that I have tickets for the concerts but I'm seriously thinking of driving in both days. They may have pushed it too far for me this time.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They're charging even more this year....so much so that I have tickets for the concerts but I'm seriously thinking of driving in both days. They may have pushed it too far for me this time.

Not to mention the concert prices. I like Burt Bacharach but I don't want to actually own him.

But for once, per person booking is in your favour.

Anyway, after being so disgusted with the drunks on street last year we said we'd not bother again.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i disagree with the notion its just market forces. plenty of places still left on many rally fields. so much so that prices are falling to try and fill them

to my mind it would of been better to charge less for the rally/pitch but put on extras like entertainment in evenings to make up the difference. better for them to fill all the places with happy campers than half with people thinking they were conned

I for one am voting with my wallet and wont be visiting yorkshire again any time soon. short term greed ends with long term need

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
our whole valley is on the route, and camp sites have appeared all around, with as said, some want £80 per night, but others are dropping them to a more realistic price, so hunt round. We are also concerned about the road closures, as it seems there will be no road parking or movement on the main highways and link roads for up to three days. This means its going to be a walking job to get anywhere, and it is causing great concerns for nearby local businesses who regularly open for the tourist trade, especially in Holmfirth, where the town centre is on the route. They are even considering closing off the exits from the M62 now, we are told. In the Holme valley, you have to often cross the proposed route to go anywhere, and we are told it may now involve up to a 30 mile detour to go two miles away. great.:Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

OTLEY FOOTBALL CLUB

The point is that they agreed everything with the C&CC MCS Northern in July 2013 and then tried to whack the price up once the MCS had already taken bookings.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i disagree with the notion its just market forces. plenty of places still left on many rally fields. so much so that prices are falling to try and fill them

That is as good a description as you'll ever get for market forces.

On any fly away holiday some mugs will have paid full wack and some much less booking at the last minute.

You are quite right in not wanting to be exploited, you are a market force, they won't over estimate the value of their land next time.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The point is that they agreed everything with the C&CC MCS Northern in July 2013 and then tried to whack the price up once the MCS had already taken bookings.

I hadn't spotted that. Anyway, the way you phrase it it is illegal and I know a legal eagle who, when sober, will destroy them.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
The site prices do increase in France on the route although it depends where you are. As many people sleep/stay on the route most avoid it and hence the rates stay reasonable unless we're talking Alpe d'huez.

I may have missed it but why can't you stay on the route ?

Got 2 stages planned this year, likely around Besançon as it's only an hour away:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back