South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
From my earlier post :-

"TRAVELLING BY CAR
Most roads along the route will be closed for a minimum of eight hours before and after the Tour and even longer at start and finish spots. Check here to find out which closures may affect your journey.

Restrictions will also limit where you can park your car, campervan or vehicle. Parking along the route here is more controlled than in France due to the narrowness of some of our roads and the need to keep the route clear for spectators, riders, the caravan and emergency services.

Check in advance what parking is available where you want to watch.

Be warned that the best sports will fill up early, so get your sharpened elbows ready, plan in advance and get there early! Also think about how far you’ll need to walk to be able to see the Tour - with the road closures and parking restrictions even the closest car parks may involve a 3-4 mile walk.."

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
From my earlier post :-

"TRAVELLING BY CAR
Most roads along the route will be closed for a minimum of eight hours before and after the Tour and even longer at start and finish spots. Check here to find out which closures may affect your journey.

Restrictions will also limit where you can park your car, campervan or vehicle. Parking along the route here is more controlled than in France due to the narrowness of some of our roads and the need to keep the route clear for spectators, riders, the caravan and emergency services.

Check in advance what parking is available where you want to watch.

Be warned that the best sports will fill up early, so get your sharpened elbows ready, plan in advance and get there early! Also think about how far you’ll need to walk to be able to see the Tour - with the road closures and parking restrictions even the closest car parks may involve a 3-4 mile walk.."

OK so pretty similar to the rest of the tour then although the closure is usually 4hrs before, depends on the stage. We usually get there the night before and sleep on the spot (road side) and hence are closed in, same afterwards to avoid the traffic, we stay in place and have dinner, we treat it as a 24hr slot per stage viewing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
The site prices do increase in France on the route although it depends where you are. As many people sleep/stay on the route most avoid it and hence the rates stay reasonable unless we're talking [HI]Alpe d'huez[/HI].

I may have missed it but why can't you stay on the route ?

Got 2 stages planned this year, likely around Besançon as it's only an hour away:Smile:

:whatthe:We were very lucky last year, we arrived on the mountain 8 days ahead of the stage and were able to get parked about 3/4 of the way up the climb, I was amazed how many vans were already there, we were the last van to park on the stretch shown below, but had a great time and were there for 10 nights for free.
Units were arriving continually for a week and the top of the mountain was rammed by the day of the stage, apart from the race my abiding memory is the smell of burning clutches from the stop start convoy coming up the mountain :Eeek:
We will back in the alps this year to pick up a stage or two.:thumb::Cool:

Attachments

• SAM_3633.jpg
    SAM_3633.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 13
  • SAM_3668.jpg
    SAM_3668.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 12
  • SAM_3618.jpg
    SAM_3618.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 16
  • SAM_3676.jpg
    SAM_3676.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 14
  • SAM_3617.jpg
    SAM_3617.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 12

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Wow those are mega ramps !!!!! part of your Alpe's kit I'm sure, I think you've been before:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back