Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Fulham Dave Here’s the reply I got from Popit today🤔
Hi Alan,

Thank you for your message, your sims work excellent in most devices so this won’t be a problem as for our data plans 100GB is our biggest plan yet, all plans do come with unlimited calls and text and we do require at least 14 days of uk usage, however you will be able to roam like at home for up to 6 months through out the year :)

If you wish to keep an eye out on our website over the coming weeks we are looking at releasing some bigger data only roaming sims. Keep peeled.

Hopefully this information helps

Kind Regards
Matt
Logo
Matthew Gitsham
Head of Marketing
email: matthew.gitsham@popitmobile.co.uk
PO BOX 1621, Doncaster, DN1 9WR
DN5 8AF
Facebook icon LinkedIn icon Twitter icon Instagram icon
that might be the official T&C but I only used mine very briefly after activation with 10 minutes online and a couple of quick calls then I put it in the router and didn’t switch it back on until I was in Spain

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
that might be the official T&C but I only used mine very briefly after activation with 10 minutes online and a couple of quick calls then I put it in the router and didn’t switch it back on until I was in Spain
I might give it a shot then.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Does that mean they require to use it for 14 days before using it for roaming?
Our next trip is only 5½ weeks so I might be better off with a local sim
I can only assume as long as you it 14 during the plan it’s good for roaming🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
Fulham Dave Here’s the reply I got from Popit today🤔
Hi Alan,

Thank you for your message, your sims work excellent in most devices so this won’t be a problem as for our data plans 100GB is our biggest plan yet, all plans do come with unlimited calls and text and we do require at least 14 days of uk usage, however you will be able to roam like at home for up to 6 months through out the year :)

If you wish to keep an eye out on our website over the coming weeks we are looking at releasing some bigger data only roaming sims. Keep peeled.

Hopefully this information helps

Kind Regards
Matt
Logo
Matthew Gitsham
Head of Marketing
email: matthew.gitsham@popitmobile.co.uk
PO BOX 1621, Doncaster, DN1 9WR
DN5 8AF
Facebook icon LinkedIn icon Twitter icon Instagram icon
Wow, that's brilliant Alan, thanks for some positive news! Will keep an eye out, however, if you see it, can you give me a shout?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I activated my Popit sim card on 29th Dec, used a few Mb whilst in my phone, then transferred it to my ZTE MiFi ready for crossing into Europe on 31st Dec, and been using it daily ever since.

HTH,

Jock. :)

Dec 3, 2021
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
6m Campervan
Does that mean they require to use it for 14 days before using it for roaming?
Our next trip is only 5½ weeks so I might be better off with a local sim
No. I checked this with them. As long as you use it for 14 days in the Uk over the course of a year I think. They told me you can even activate the sim from abroad, but we are travelling on Friday morning and I activated mine today to be sure it worked ok...which it did

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
Just received this from Camino
View attachment 724349
Do we know if this ‘freeze’ relates to new sim deals or to existing ones as well?

I’ve had my sim for a year and it’s currently paused with a small monthly charge until I need to use it again. Fingers crossed they will honour existing deals but it sounds like I’m going to have to start looking for a new one!

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Do we know if this ‘freeze’ relates to new sim deals or to existing ones as well?

I’ve had my sim for a year and it’s currently paused with a small monthly charge until I need to use it again. Fingers crossed they will honour existing deals but it sounds like I’m going to have to start looking for a new one!
As I stated earlier in this thread Camino came back to me and confirmed the 300gb would last until the end of March and then reduce from April. He d anything changes she said she would let me know but I’m not hopeful.

I have been using it successfully for well over a year and it is still working now in Portugal as expected.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
We leave home Monday coming to head South for ferry to Santander so I am kinda stuck in that no time to find alternatives. Once in Spain it’s two nights at Aires on route to Extramadura and not visiting any large towns or cities so will stick with Tiekom for the time being. I must say there service and coverage was brilliant last year. Now the dilemma do I go for the unlimited and stream to my hearts content.🤔🤣🤣🤣
Worth phoning Popit to ask for their 100gb uncapped in EU sim or two by next day delivery. Very helpful company. https://www.popitmobile.co.uk/contact

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Evening all

So my observations are as follows:

Popit… the wife and I have both transferred our numbers onto Popit and are using it as our day to day service in our phones. At home we can use 10Gb service (£13). When away as we are at the moment from Boxing Day, we have upped the service to 100Gb for £25.

Popit works okay is my summary. It’s a phone and not a data service. This manifests in use with some of the networks shaping traffic, meaning 3G service and or slow 4G, either all the time on certain Spanish networks or based on X Gb being used in Y period then a reduction in throughput is invoked by the service algorithm. This means frequently manually selectingnetworks to get the best service. Less than ideal TBH.

Tiekom - it’s been a bit more unreliable all this year whilst in Spain. It’s a data service so not throttled but it seems that VF and Tiekom do not have an ongoing agreement. Quite frustrating on one hand, but I guess it is what it is!

The future for me is going to be a flat mounted Starlink Dishy McDish Face and pay for the service whilst roaming for as many months as I want. We are booked to be away in Europe for three months later this year and five months straight in 2024 (Jan - June) so I just need something that works ubiquitously and where Tiekom and Popit seemed to be the answer, they are both now just faff I can do without!

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
On the StarLink Roam (previously StarLink for RV) be aware that in the T&C’s it states:

“If you use Starlink in a foreign country for more than two months, you may be required to update your account to your new location”

Not sure what that means in reality but just to be aware 👍

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
On the StarLink Roam (previously StarLink for RV) be aware that in the T&C’s it states:

“If you use Starlink in a foreign country for more than two months, you may be required to update your account to your new location”

Not sure what that means in reality but just to be aware 👍

Would love to update my account after two month as in Spain (for example) it’s €75 per month as opposed to £95 with a UK based subscription… I think they are just covering their bases so they can say, it’s in the terms and conditions, should the need arise. 🤷‍♂️

Jul 13, 2017
Buncrana, County Donegal, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Carado
Exp
Since 2015
I have just had an email from Camino as follows

"Unfortunately, I must advise that from April we’re not able to provide 300GB on roaming due to the last Vodafone’s (our supplier) rule. We can do only 18GB for roaming use with these SIMS and 300GB / unlimited data in Spain.
We can cancel your contract (without cost, of course) if the service isn’t what you are looking for.
In the future, if Vodafone changes their roaming rules, I will let you know.
Sorry for the inconveniences and kind regards"

My UK Vodafone contract gives me 25 GB roaming so I will have to look for something else to take up the slack

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I have just had an email from Camino as follows

"Unfortunately, I must advise that from April we’re not able to provide 300GB on roaming due to the last Vodafone’s (our supplier) rule. We can do only 18GB for roaming use with these SIMS and 300GB / unlimited data in Spain.
We can cancel your contract (without cost, of course) if the service isn’t what you are looking for.
In the future, if Vodafone changes their roaming rules, I will let you know.
Sorry for the inconveniences and kind regards"

My UK Vodafone contract gives me 25 GB roaming so I will have to look for something else to take up the slack
Thanks for that info. What a drag. It worked like a dream for us last year throughout Europe and Turkey.

Looks like Popit is the next best alternative so I'll give it a try for our next trips. Hey Ho!

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Out of interest those who just require Spanish coverage how does Tiekom charges for unlimited data compare with Vodafone Spain and is it costed “pro rata”

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I will be cancelling mine from April as well.

In Portugal we have found a vodaphone data sim unlimited for €30. It only last the month and you can’t roam but it will save our bacon this trip. We won’t know until we start using it, if it’s throttled or not.

Dave’s had a look on their site and their seems to be the same available in Spain slightly cheaper so that’s the route we will probably go.

As we are big data users it’s makes sense for us.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Out of interest those who just require Spanish coverage how does Tiekom charges for unlimited data compare with Vodafone Spain and is it costed “pro rata”
they are dearer.the 300gb was dearer than my Yoigo unlimited which was 33€/month but is now 34,70€. for new users price is discounted at the moment for 12 months at 28€ i believe. Digi unlimited is 25€/month +unlimited calls national & international . I don't use them as they told me it cannot be used in a router . same from vodaphone
Offhand movistar was 40€/month I think?

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
they are dearer.the 300gb was dearer than my Yoigo unlimited which was 33€/month but is now 34,70€. for new users price is discounted at the moment for 12 months at 28€ i believe. Digi unlimited is 25€/month +unlimited calls national & international . I don't use them as they told me it cannot be used in a router . same from vodaphone
Offhand movistar was 40€/month I think?
Hi Gus, thanks for the information - a few questions if I may -

Do you know if you need to be a resident in Spain to obtain the Yoigo sim?
Is this a 12 month contract rather than monthly like Tiekom?
Also, is your's unlimited usage in EU and able to be put in our motorhome router?

The T&C's are, as you'd expect, in Spanish, but it states "Shipping is free and will take 2-3 working days to the peninsula, 5 to the Balearic Islands and 7 to the Canary Islands, Ceuta or Melilla." We are at campsites for the next month in Portugal, so could ask them if they would accept the package on our behalf if I could purchase one.

Thanks for any assistance or guidance you can give

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I got the email from sales this morning so I am now having to cancel my tiekom sim card. I have purchased a popit card and added an esim in case I need any additional data. It all works out more expensive than using the tiekom sim but at least I have data and with the esim I have flexibility. I am using this Irish company. I am currently in Spain where everything is working well. https://www.gomoworld.com/

Cantaloupe

Free Member
Mar 30, 2023
Funster No
MH
Self build Relay
Hello all,

We're currently in this pickle as well, but we are in Bulgaria and not coming back for another 6 months! Esims seem to be our best bet.

Does anyone have experience with Holafly or Maya? Holafly don't allow hotspotting (important to us) but it seems...workaroundable. Maya state some pretty slow speeds, but advertise that they're speedy! Both have some horrible reviews online.

Ta

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
So just for info

i’ve had my Tiekom sim approx 6 weeks from mid Feb

I was asked to pay my first invoice for €58 which i did immediately mid Feb

Then March 1st I was asked to pay another invoice for €68 🤔, so asked Camino why?

This started a barrage of emails between her and Jose in admin and took close to 25 emails back n forth to agree i’d already paid

Then the contract was broken by Tiekom when they announced no roaming of 300gb but they would honour me receiving 300gb for the month of march, phew!! at least i’d get that so I asked them to cancel from March 31st which they agreed to do

My sim card has been cancelled since monday 27th so 5 days early so i’ve given up and will never deal with Tiekom again 😡

Jan 2, 2022
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2019
I have to say the last few weeks the Tiekom SIM has not been working particularly well it keeps dropping the connection when streaming TV which is a pain.
it worked perfectly when in Portugal last year this time?
I have reported it to Camino however I reckon Vodafone are throttling the service because they have frozen any new sims I’m not happy about it but am looking around Popit seems to have a good sim but only 100 gb🤔
Last year it worked like a dream, no dramas what so ever. This year we've had a number of problems over the last six weeks in Spain. It works fine for a couple of hours, then drops out or freezes. Rebooting the system has minimal effect tbh.
SWMBO was definitely unhappy when it spoiled her hours of watching Love Island :whatthe:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
My sim card has been cancelled since monday 27th so 5 days early so i’ve given up and will never deal with Tiekom again 😡
I have done the same however Camino did say she would update me on any future sims that were marketed with anywhere roaming.😊

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Yep. Cancelled ours today under similar circumstances. Worked great for the three months we had it in 🇬🇧 🇫🇷 and 🇪🇸

Such a shame but an enterprising outfit scuppered by one of the big boys crafty manoeuvrings.

There will be other options emerging as the fun folk tour on regardless. 🪦 rip Tiekom, you were a good friend for an all too short period…….

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back