Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Are you referring to use in the UK? If so, I’d agree with you but, as evidenced by this thread, use on the continent is a different matter particularly with such lowly data limits.
Referring to wherever we are really. I am a self confessed TV and film addict and either watch stuff I’ve downloaded via hard drive or stream via a firestick but definitely it’s tipping more towards the latter. Of course if the Tiekom goes and we can’t find a suitable alternative it will go back the other way again.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
You are using a frequency that is not meant to be used that is why you get a dish that small to work .you can't receive anything down here using the correct signal without a 1,9m +dish.
Yep and there must be half a dozen or more doing the same on this site
And others are watching via the internet using a vpn to hide their location

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Used Intelsat 907 myself before going wireless. However, the big question still is how long will the BBC SATBACK transmission keep going. The satellite was supposed to close down in 2019 but it's still there. For how much longer? your guess is as good as mine.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Used Intelsat 907 myself before going wireless. However, the big question still is how long will the BBC SATBACK transmission keep going. The satellite was supposed to close down in 2019 but it's still there. For how much longer? your guess is as good as mine.
907 which was coming to the end of its lifespan was replaced in 2020 by 901 at the same orbital location
so good for a few years yet

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
no roaming outside spain with it.it would not work?
Vodaphone told me that any of there phone sims could not be used in a router as did Digi?
Currently using Movistar via Huawei router. SpainSur site still quotes 300gb roaming allowed in Europe, whilst only 30gb for a Vodaphone150gb card.

Robert

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
currently watching ITV 1 down on the Med (La Manga) using an automatic 85cm dish with no reception problems , same setup works in Portugal
For some maybe a useable solution, but I think for most they will be wanting to use a "standard" set up and probably want access to all of their usual channels.
Plus some will want to be able to use when further North i.e. Norway etc. the internet streaming solution covers those options as well.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
For some maybe a useable solution, but I think for most they will be wanting to use a "standard" set up and probably want access to all of their usual channels.
Plus some will want to be able to use when further North i.e. Norway etc. the internet streaming solution covers those options as well.
Usual channels
I have all the mainstream channels including bbc radio via 901 which covers virtually all of Europe
As for the legality of watching U.K. channels via 901 its no worse than masking your location with a VPN to watch BBC/ITV when abroad

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Usual channels
I have all the mainstream channels including bbc radio via 901 which covers virtually all of Europe
As for the legality of watching U.K. channels via 901 its no worse than masking your location with a VPN to watch BBC/ITV when abroad
And as a BBC licence fee payer, I think that I and other fee payers, should have access to those channels wherever we are, be it Astra 2, Intel sat 901, or online.

If Sky can do it for their subscribers, why can't the BBC? 😞

Cheers

Jock. ;)

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Sky don't allow it. Have to use a vpn to watch sky go when abroad. Also Skygo doesn't work on chrome so have to use a different browser. Bit of a faff really tbh.
You can if your using watching via Satellite
Ok no BBC or ITV but the majority of subscription channels are available via the Pan European beam
A 85cm does for all over Spain or Portugal

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just received this from Camino
53C2DB4B-349B-4A7B-BD58-DEADC71564EF.jpeg

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Thanks Stewart for posting mine is still working at the moment but we leave for home next week so will need to look at alternatives when arriving home for next trip
We leave home Monday coming to head South for ferry to Santander so I am kinda stuck in that no time to find alternatives. Once in Spain it’s two nights at Aires on route to Extramadura and not visiting any large towns or cities so will stick with Tiekom for the time being. I must say there service and coverage was brilliant last year. Now the dilemma do I go for the unlimited and stream to my hearts content.🤔🤣🤣🤣

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Currently using Movistar via Huawei router. SpainSur site still quotes 300gb roaming allowed in Europe, whilst only 30gb for a Vodaphone150gb card.

Robert
Thanks for that.Trouble is I would now have no confidence in it working if I signed up for it & additionally when I asked it was for 24 months with no cancellation period. Not a lot of use to me when I struggle with a signal at the house. That is why i went with Yoigo in the end as it is unlimited & without permanence so if I want to stop or change there is no problem .Still struggle with signal at home though.
People have also told me they use a digi sim in a router which I was also told could not be done.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We leave home Monday coming to head South for ferry to Santander so I am kinda stuck in that no time to find alternatives. Once in Spain it’s two nights at Aires on route to Extramadura and not visiting any large towns or cities so will stick with Tiekom for the time being. I must say there service and coverage was brilliant last year. Now the dilemma do I go for the unlimited and stream to my hearts content.🤔🤣🤣🤣
I have to say the last few weeks the Tiekom SIM has not been working particularly well it keeps dropping the connection when streaming TV which is a pain.
it worked perfectly when in Portugal last year this time?
I have reported it to Camino however I reckon Vodafone are throttling the service because they have frozen any new sims I’m not happy about it but am looking around Popit seems to have a good sim but only 100 gb🤔

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Lobster currently looks the way forward unless Tiekom secure a deal with Vodafone🤔🤔🤔

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
I used mine for 10 mins of surfing in the uk after activation
And it’s worked faultlessly in Europe
Full 100gb can be used

How long were you away for Neil?

You have to use 14% in Uk then all the rest can be used in EU

We spend 3 to 6 months overseas at a time, so wondering if you need to use some of the data allowance in the UK each month

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you can afford it the it seems to me Starlink is the way forward - once and for all. £460 for the kit and £95 a month for mobile use

Anyone tried it? I am tempted

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Fulham Dave Here’s the reply I got from Popit today🤔
Hi Alan,

Thank you for your message, your sims work excellent in most devices so this won’t be a problem as for our data plans 100GB is our biggest plan yet, all plans do come with unlimited calls and text and we do require at least 14 days of uk usage, however you will be able to roam like at home for up to 6 months through out the year :)

If you wish to keep an eye out on our website over the coming weeks we are looking at releasing some bigger data only roaming sims. Keep peeled.

Hopefully this information helps

Kind Regards
Matt
Logo
Matthew Gitsham
Head of Marketing
email: matthew.gitsham@popitmobile.co.uk
PO BOX 1621, Doncaster, DN1 9WR
DN5 8AF
Facebook icon LinkedIn icon Twitter icon Instagram icon

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Here’s the reply I got from Popit today🤔
Hi Alan,

Thank you for your message, your sims work excellent in most devices so this won’t be a problem as for our data plans 100GB is our biggest plan yet, all plans do come with unlimited calls and text and we do require at least 14 days of uk usage, however you will be able to roam like at home for up to 6 months through out the year :)

If you wish to keep an eye out on our website over the coming weeks we are looking at releasing some bigger data only roaming sims. Keep peeled.

Hopefully this information helps

Kind Regards
Matt
Logo
Matthew Gitsham
Head of Marketing
email: matthew.gitsham@popitmobile.co.uk
PO BOX 1621, Doncaster, DN1 9WR
DN5 8AF
Facebook icon LinkedIn icon Twitter icon Instagram icon
Does that mean they require to use it for 14 days before using it for roaming?
Our next trip is only 5½ weeks so I might be better off with a local sim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back