Tiekom roaming sim (1 Viewer)

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Just tried to order a sim for our trip in April recvd this response.

Hi John

Many thanks for contacting us regarding to our services.

Unfortunately, I must advise you that we have this service "freeze" since 1st March due to same changes about international roaming policy of our current supplier (Vodafone).
This sim card will give you 300Gb but only in Spain.

As soon as the service is available we will send you all the information.

Kind regards / Beste Grüße / Un saludo

[Broken Link Removed] Sales Department

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
I’ve had this sim for a while now and have it on ‘hold’ til we next go abroad. Fingers crossed it keeps working. We need large amounts of data to keep in touch with elderly parents via a ‘live chat’ type device so we can make sure all ok.
I’ll leave it a week or so and see if we get notification of any changes!

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I’ve been using Tiekom for over a year now but last night suddenly lost connection in my router and would not reconnect, I hope they have not just disconnected service as I’m currently in Portugal 🤦‍♂️🤬😡

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Carpmart. Have you too been affected at all Harvey?

We are low data users, and have found the Popit 100Gb sim card, to have suited our needs per month abroad.

Good luck to those with Tiekom, in getting the service reinstated. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
I’ve been using Tiekom for over a year now but last night suddenly lost connection in my router and would not reconnect, I hope they have not just disconnected service as I’m currently in Portugal 🤦‍♂️🤬😡
We are also currently in Portugal (Nazare) using the 300Gb SIM, currently still working OK for us both for normal internet use and for streaming TV.
The SIM had been on hold since last November and only recharged for 1st March.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
We've used the 300gb Teikom sim throughout 2022 with Express VPN, worked very well. However I'm switching to Popit 100gb no data capping uk based sim which will probably be sufficient, we never used all the 300 gb. Popit told me recently that they will be offering a 150gb sim soon which will suit us. No VPN to pay for either.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have had a reply from Tiekom. The 300gb roaming is remaining for the whole of March but as it stands will end from April and reduce to 18gb.

They are negotiating with Vodaphone to improve on that and will let existing customers know by the end of the month what’s what.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I too have had a reply from Camino advising the same but without the reduced GB information. I sincerely hope the monthly charge reduces significantly if they reduce it down from 300GB to 18GB.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have had a reply from Tiekom. The 300gb roaming is remaining for the whole of March but as it stands will end from April and reduce to 18gb.

They are negotiating with Vodaphone to improve on that and will let existing customers know by the end of the month what’s what.
You need to question that as there is an EU roaming directive that gives the formula for what has to be supplied when out of host country.
Basically each GB supplied has a value of 3€ .
In my case here at home using data sims I have unlimited & pay 33€/month .
When I travel out of spain it goes to the following
formula is amount paid ÷3€ = 11(Gb) x 2= 22Gb +1Gb = 23Gb which is what I have when roaming.
The Tiekom sim means that paying 40€ it should be
40÷3€=13 x 2=26 +1Gb=27Gb

This was the rules when I took ours out in January 2022.

It appears that the eu changed the rules in July 2022 to "roam like at home " here..
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/QANDA_21_654

Which you would all fall foul of as 'home' isn't in an EU state. worth enquiring though?

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
You need to question that as there is an EU roaming directive that gives the formula for what has to be supplied when out of host country.
formula is amount paid ÷3€ = 11(Gb) x 2= 22Gb +1Gb = 23Gb which is what I have when roaming.

It appears that the eu changed the rules in July 2022 to "roam like at home " here..

Which you would all fall foul of as 'home' isn't in an EU state. worth enquiring though?
I haven’t read link yet but is ‘home’ the country of origin of the sim/service ie Spain or who is using it. If it’s a Spanish sim then does it relate to eu legislation and have roaming rights within the eurozone regardless of who is using it?

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009

To be honest we won’t be using it except in Spain of that happens even if the data allowed is a bit more. We stream and use all of the 300gb when abroad so it won’t be any use to us then and too expensive.

It will be back to the drawing board for us.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I haven’t read link yet but is ‘home’ the country of origin of the sim/service ie Spain or who is using it. If it’s a Spanish sim then does it relate to eu legislation and have roaming rights within the eurozone regardless of who is using it?
I have no idea?
I only checked when we took ours out as the wife was concerned about how the roaming amount rolled off the lads tongue so quickly. I was surprised to find that A, there was a directive & B, it worked to the actual amount quoted. It would now appear that they have changed it to the same as home & which is what I had& have when using the Digi sims in our phones.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
I have a 'Movistar' 300gb Data sim from 'SpainSur, just fired it up to check and it is still showing 200gb available for use here in France on Free. According to the Website now only valid for one month at 65euro.

Robert

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We are currently using our Tiekom 300gb sim in Spain for the second month although we have had a few issues with it not performing very well and dropping out. However it is still working at present and I have not been informed of any changes from Tiekom to date.🤔

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Dec 3, 2021
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
6m Campervan
Wow, I almost bought this sm two weeks ago for upcoming trip to Europe but opted for Popit 100gb instead. Glad I did now

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
For us they definitely have. I can’t remember the last time we tuned ours in. For entertainment TV we can’t get most of what we want to watch via the satellite.

Are you referring to use in the UK? If so, I’d agree with you but, as evidenced by this thread, use on the continent is a different matter particularly with such lowly data limits.

They have… moving onto satellite internet now…

Perhaps I should have said TV via satellite systems. 😎

Yup, it may well be back to Oyster 5 for long term UK tv watching in the EU. No cap, just don't park under a tree.

You can’t beat diversity of provision.👍

Ian

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Maybe OK for UK and a small part of EU but still no good bottom of Spain or Portugal etc.
currently watching ITV 1 down on the Med (La Manga) using an automatic 85cm dish with no reception problems , same setup works in Portugal

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
currently watching ITV 1 down on the Med using an automatic 85cm dish with no reception problems , same setup works in Portugal

We have been using ours for the last 3 months in Pain and Portugal and currently using in France. 🤞
Are you two Sky customers by any chance? I'm not, but with an 85cm auto dish, the furthest south I can get UK FTA signals from Astra 2D/E/F is Teruel. I'll try again as I make my way north through Portugal, to see where they become available again.

Cheers,

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Are you two Sky customers by any chance? I'm not, but with an 85cm auto dish, the furthest south I can get UK FTA signals from Astra 2D/E/F is Teruel. I'll try again as I make my way north through Portugal, to see where they become available again.

Cheers,

hi Jock I’m using a Comag receiver to watch the mainstream channels via Intelsat 901@27.5 west

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I have a 'Movistar' 300gb Data sim from 'SpainSur, just fired it up to check and it is still showing 200gb available for use here in France on Free. According to the Website now only valid for one month at 65euro.

Robert
interesting. When I was searching for unlimited data sim for use at home & to take with me when travelling asked the question in the movistar shop to be emphatically told no. no roaming outside spain with it.it would not work?
Vodaphone told me that any of there phone sims could not be used in a router as did Digi?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back