Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
All very conflicting info

some say 2 feet you say 1 kilometre it’s not good enough to keep your engine running but it’s good enough to get your engine running if your imobiliser fails 🤯
All to confusing for a Sunday morning 🤣
Its good enough to go into the app, generate a pre paired Bluetooth code to allow you to start the engine

It may be fine on a moped, they roll to a stop what ever happens lol

Actually the range is over a kilometre

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Class 1 is the longest-range Bluetooth classification. It supports approximately 300 feet (100 meters) of communicable distance. However, the most potent Bluetooth radios can transmit more than 10 times that distance outdoors.

Class 1 Bluetooth radios are for industrial applications and not used for consumer products.

From

Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
if your engine stops when your driving you will loose power steering, and the servo for the brakes

Potentially a nightmare senario

The vehicle will run normally for about 10 seconds, and the engine will then begin to cut out at regular intervals, over an 18 second period culminating in total ignition shutdown

So it's a "soft" shutdown, maintaining control as the vehicle slows.

From

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Why not just make it so the engine cannot start without some immobilising device being in the car?

Seems quite simple :)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Regarding that I am talking about failure

All insurance approved devices that inhibit the engine stop it from starting, they do not ‘cause it to stop’ once running and out of the owners control

Im retired now but have fitted tens of thousands of security devices but would flatly refuse to install something that could cause the engine to stop whilst being driven

I assume this is why it’s not Thatcham (Insurance) approved as I don’t believe they would allow it

Forget product failure, bombing down the motorway 70 mph and my wife’s looking at my phone and see a soft update and restart due and, being bored on a long journey selects yes, 30 seconds later we’re kangerooing to a stop on a busy motorway with bewilderment being the last thing going though my mind before the HGV that was safely behind me!

Different senario on a moped
Or the phone goes flat?

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
I was very nearly going to buy this BUT. After looking at all the points raised, I have come to the conclusion that if the vehicle comes to a halt once blue tooth connection is lost, which is what it is designed to do after all, in the event of a theft, That’s just not going to be a good position to be in while driving your van and your phone has a pink fit, which they do quite often. You are left with limited brakes, limited steering, no anti lock Brakes etc. NOT GOOD.
Other Immobiliser/alarms only do their thing when starting your vehicle. Once running, they don’t suddenly cut the engine out a mile up the road, and for good reason, it could be dangerous.
As already mentioned in another post, this unit would work fine on a scooter which you cold safely come to a halt, with no adverse affects on the handling.
Also, in the event of a theft. Is the scum bag going to as carefully as possible bring the van to a halt, put the handbrake on, and then leave the vehicle. I don’t think so. His probably jumped ship before it’s even fully stopped.
There seem to be too many pitfalls in my eyes, so thanks all for making me think before leaping with this one.

Stay Safe PaulandChrissy

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I have been sent a StopMyEngine Anti-Theft Device to review. Essentially this £150 bit of kit promises to disable the engine if it ever moves out of bluetooth range of your phone. I believe it has built in systems to give you control if you forget, lose or break your phone.

If anyone would like to install this product and then give us all a review I will send it to you. It was discussed on the forum here a little while ago. https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/motorhome-security.283128/

If you are interested in fitting this to your van, I can get it to you. It's yours to keep. Remember though, its not a complete freebie/giveaway, you need to properly review it. Good or bad the objective and comprehensive review needs to be posted here.

Send me a PM, if more than one of you want it we'll devise a suitable way to choose one of you.

Cheers (y)
Will fit a caravan lol 😝

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sorry, as I have read it, the engine will NOT START if the phone is not present or the over ride code not entered. The phased immobilisation comes in if the engine is started near the phone and then drives out of the limited range of a phone's bluetooth signal. Yes the theoretical bluetooth range is over a kilometre unobstructed, like inside a metal box, but that is using way more power than a phone can transmit. You can not pair any other sort of bluetooth device, as it needs a coded handshake. You can't add another phone without a set code being entered

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't know how it operates or if it would be safe or not but I recently had a relevant experience I think.

I had just pulled out of the drive and was doing 20mph and just as I hit the bend my engine cut out. The steering went very heavy and the brakes didn't work quite so well by a massive margin.
At 20mph I barely pulled the steering round and barely stopped before going into the hedge. It wasn't unbelievable hard, but it was harder than was comfortable. The worst part was the fact it happened so quickly without warning.
It scared the whatsit out of me and I was only doing 20.

On this basis I would not want anything that cuts my engine. Imagine it happening on a round about etc. No thanks. For a motorbike perfectly safe I think. But for a car or van I will pass.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Sorry, as I have read it, the engine will NOT START if the phone is not present or the over ride code not entered. The phased immobilisation comes in if the engine is started near the phone and then drives out of the limited range of a phone's bluetooth signal. Yes the theoretical bluetooth range is over a kilometre unobstructed, like inside a metal box, but that is using way more power than a phone can transmit. You can not pair any other sort of bluetooth device, as it needs a coded handshake. You can't add another phone without a set code being entered
Still an issue for me. If my phone looses connection then the van becomes a nightmare to control. 🥴

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Jim received it back on Fri afternoon so I’m guessing he will let you know who is to do the review once he has decided 👍
The above from 6 months ago seems to be the most recent update of the story.
Has there been any progress on fitting/testing this unit?

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
What happens if you have a rubbish internet. I can't use my firestick here or my CCTV because the internet is so poor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back