LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
It is that time of year when we go on holiday and I do a journal. I call it a thrournal as I start with a journal and copy it into a thread. Hopefully others will do journals in the upcoming period as well. And the journal map is very helpful for holiday planning.

This holiday will be 28 days long and if things go anywhere near to plan we catch the Newhaven Dieppe ferry tomorrow (we are parked up already) IMG20240228152943.jpg and arrive 1600 hrs french time then make our way to Spain on the Atlantic side. From there we will be cycling on disused railways as we make our way to Valencia for the fallas. No idea which ones we will do or which way we will come back.
As usual I have created a map of interesting to us stuff which might be natural spring baths, wine fountains, balcony roads, beaux villages, waterfalls and lakes etc. (and all the via Verdes)
I will add the via Verdes we do to the voie verte thread as well.

For those that don't know I had emergency open back surgery on L4 and L5 for cauda equina on 19/1/24. It was a laminectomy and disceptomy. In short you don't get an operation on this until your paralysis caused by a crushed spinal cord has caused lack of bowel and bladder control. My left leg was pretty much useless as well, never mind the pain from the disc and the sciatica.
Recovery because of all the nerve damage is 6-24 months.
I have been incredibly lucky in that all bodily functions returned immediately, I have very good leg strength, I m relatively fit, I m 58 and they caught it very early.
I am under the care of the spinal team for the rest of my life (I think kidney as well but hopefully not the liver !)
Just prior to leaving on day 39 of recovery, my current issues are (all on my left) a really annoying ankle pain across the front of the ankle, the outside of my shin has nerve pain but more full pain than shooting, my hip hurts in a morning when I get up so probably sleep induced, right inside my buttock I get shooting pains down my leg and they really really hurt. The outside of my leg is numb but I have recently got feeling back right at the top. Both my physios and doc know what I am up to.
I only take amitrytriptelyne from the prescribed medication and treat everything with some form of hemp or CBD product. I also have cold gels for hip shin and ankle, an ankle support, cushions for sleeping between knees, back straightener for normal sitting and a one that you plonk your bum on. Hot water bottle is also with us. I try to keep using my walking poles for posture but I don't need them.

We have travelled down today and stopped off at trundles hill at Goodwood
IMG20240228123158.jpg for a cup of coffee and also see if driving would have too much an effect on me. It doesn't appear so. It is an automatic and the wife (Paula) drives it as well.
Once we got here we parked in the free to us as passengers car park and went to the office to see if we could get on the night crossing but 60 quid extra wasn't worth it. Walked with poles to the town and to the range so probably walked more than I have done in the past 4 months.
KFC will be our choice of meal this evening whilst watching some football on free to air.
Other things to note if following are
We are both very frugal with money. Expect a lot of free Aires.
We ride E bikes with Bosch batteries
We have about 300 watts of solar and 200 ah of lithium and LPG.
Updates likely to be daily

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Forgot the map.

Screenshot_2024-02-28-18-39-37-93_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
Dorchester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2010
We are now West of Segovia on the Valle Del Eresmes between Olmedo and Segovia.
Out of Olmedo it is dire, overgrown and dull. The Aire at Olmedo is a bit noisy.
We are now at Nava de la Asuncion 25km sw of Olmeda, having had a day off. The vv for 10 km before is through more interesting territory. 2 more days will get us to Segovia as the line climbs 200m from here. No Aire but stopped at the sports hall.

This trip highlight so far is vv Senda del Oso sw of Oviedo. Took us 2 days hard work but it did include one otter munching a fish and later another otter mincing around on the path. Used the Aire in Proaza. None of the Aires have had electricity, so we have to be careful charging our bike batteries.
Our max day is 25 to 30km each way of slowish..well glacial progress.`

App for cheap fuel (android) Gasolina Y Diesel Espana
Clunky and in spanish but saves between 15 and 20 cents per litre over Repsol.
Have a good trip
Jon

Oct 31, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Carthago T149
Exp
Since 2016
It is that time of year when we go on holiday and I do a journal. I call it a thrournal as I start with a journal and copy it into a thread. Hopefully others will do journals in the upcoming period as well. And the journal map is very helpful for holiday planning.

This holiday will be 28 days long and if things go anywhere near to plan we catch the Newhaven Dieppe ferry tomorrow (we are parked up already) IMG20240228152943.jpg and arrive 1600 hrs french time then make our way to Spain on the Atlantic side. From there we will be cycling on disused railways as we make our way to Valencia for the fallas. No idea which ones we will do or which way we will come back.
As usual I have created a map of interesting to us stuff which might be natural spring baths, wine fountains, balcony roads, beaux villages, waterfalls and lakes etc. (and all the via Verdes)
I will add the via Verdes we do to the voie verte thread as well.

For those that don't know I had emergency open back surgery on L4 and L5 for cauda equina on 19/1/24. It was a laminectomy and disceptomy. In short you don't get an operation on this until your paralysis caused by a crushed spinal cord has caused lack of bowel and bladder control. My left leg was pretty much useless as well, never mind the pain from the disc and the sciatica.
Recovery because of all the nerve damage is 6-24 months.
I have been incredibly lucky in that all bodily functions returned immediately, I have very good leg strength, I m relatively fit, I m 58 and they caught it very early.
I am under the care of the spinal team for the rest of my life (I think kidney as well but hopefully not the liver !)
Just prior to leaving on day 39 of recovery, my current issues are (all on my left) a really annoying ankle pain across the front of the ankle, the outside of my shin has nerve pain but more full pain than shooting, my hip hurts in a morning when I get up so probably sleep induced, right inside my buttock I get shooting pains down my leg and they really really hurt. The outside of my leg is numb but I have recently got feeling back right at the top. Both my physios and doc know what I am up to.
I only take amitrytriptelyne from the prescribed medication and treat everything with some form of hemp or CBD product. I also have cold gels for hip shin and ankle, an ankle support, cushions for sleeping between knees, back straightener for normal sitting and a one that you plonk your bum on. Hot water bottle is also with us. I try to keep using my walking poles for posture but I don't need them.

We have travelled down today and stopped off at trundles hill at Goodwood
IMG20240228123158.jpg for a cup of coffee and also see if driving would have too much an effect on me. It doesn't appear so. It is an automatic and the wife (Paula) drives it as well.
Once we got here we parked in the free to us as passengers car park and went to the office to see if we could get on the night crossing but 60 quid extra wasn't worth it. Walked with poles to the town and to the range so probably walked more than I have done in the past 4 months.
KFC will be our choice of meal this evening whilst watching some football on free to air.
Other things to note if following are
We are both very frugal with money. Expect a lot of free Aires.
We ride E bikes with Bosch batteries
We have about 300 watts of solar and 200 ah of lithium and LPG.
Updates likely to be daily
I hope you have a very good and very frugal trip ;)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thinking of you and wishing you a safe trip tomorrow. You don’t need me to tell you to take it easy, I am sure Paula is giving you plenty of earache in that department.
We are 3 -4 weeks behind you but travelling direct to Santander.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Looking forward to following your trip, take care of the back though and enjoy

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
A pretty unimpressive day that saw us get on the ferry and purchase golden Virginia for 121 pounds and 2 litres of Ricard at 13 pounds each.
The ferry was well kitted out and pretty empty and we were first to get off. IMG20240229104010.jpg
No injuries to report yet today and even more impressively no meds and no creams and a full night's sleep.
Pont de l'arche beckoned us having filled up diesel at 1.76 at a hyper U
Started raining now and the views of the very high Seine from the site which is free til April 1st then 8 euros. IMG20240229180836.jpgIMG20240229180845.jpg

Edit. Don't know why but it's not copying and pasting the photos over to the thread.
IMG20240229180845.jpg
IMG20240229180836.jpg

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Have a good trip. Swapping places as we're leaving Dieppe for Newhaven tomorrow morning early.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
A pretty unimpressive day that saw us get on the ferry and purchase golden Virginia for 121 pounds and 2 litres of Ricard at 13 pounds each.
The ferry was well kitted out and pretty empty and we were first to get off. IMG20240229104010.jpg
No injuries to report yet today and even more impressively no meds and no creams and a full night's sleep.
Started raining now and the views of the very high Seine from the site which is free til April 1st then 8 euros. IMG20240229180836.jpgIMG20240229180845.jpg

Edit. Don't know why but it's not copying and pasting the photos over to the thread. View attachment 869955View attachment 869956
Is the Golden Virginia for your personal consumption ?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
A good luck wish from a fellow bike enthusiast....take it easy and enjoy...

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just a quick update on my condition, in my view I have made great progress in the last 3 days.
My ankle pain has all but disappeared, the shin pain came from the ankle so that is good, the hip pain has gone down that I don't use the gel pad to sleep on and have had 2 nights of full sleep, my buttock pain appears to be sleeping at present, I can tell it is not over with that one.
My back causes me no pain at all but I am obviously quite careful with it but flexibility is returning quite well.
I LL keep up the amitrytriptelyne for a little longer and only used cream on my foot last night where I think it has been below me in a shoe for a whole day which was too tight.
Travel day today so not over strenuous and maybe bikes out on Saturday but forecast isn't great.
I LL still use walking poles and ankle support ATM.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016

Edit. Don't know why but it's not copying and pasting the photos over to the thread. View attachment 869955View attachment 869956
Have a great time, we are unfortunately going the other way. Diesel is €1.34 in the cheapo outlets in Spain, lpg about .99

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
It has been incessant rain all the way down from pont de l'arche. Haven't gone over 60 mph. It was a good day for travelling only because it was a bad day for everything else. More of the same tomorrow so we took the Chartres Tours Poitier national route.
To stop us getting bored, the guess the price of diesel at the next service station was employed.
We also took loads of roundabout photos, mainly because they do like to landscape them and we would rather embrace them than get sick of how many there are. We missed some decent ones while I was on the phone.
We split driving duties today but did a lidls and filled up at 1.75 but we have seen 1.72. reckon the par is 1.78. LPG was gained at 97 at an auchan
IMG20240301102035.jpgIMG20240301121056.jpg
We made Verteuil Sur charente which is a free Aire but dump and water unavailable. There are 4 electric points with no obvious way of paying so possibly free. Found it on search for sites. The surface of the Aire is compact chalky sand which will ensure you take shoes off when getting back in the van. The river is quite high and the path from Aire to river is underwater so walking on very sodden grass to go round the pretty town with church, chateau, eateries and lovely fast flowing river that had flooded the lavoirs. Well worthy of a walk round.
Paella from lidls for tea tonight. NB prawns are 7.99 a kilo next week in lidls.

The internet around Verteuil is pretty poor so will upload more photos to here tomorrow when I can.

Tomorrow will also be a travel day as we intend to cross the border and work out where to cycle on Sunday when it shouldn't be hammering it down all day

Only a couple of photos that I could upload that are on the journal. There are 24 to come tomorrow morning sometime!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
It has been incessant rain all the way down from pont de l'arche. Haven't gone over 60 mph. It was a good day for travelling only because it was a bad day for everything else. More of the same tomorrow so we took the Chartres Tours Poitier national route.
To stop us getting bored, the guess the price of diesel at the next service station was employed.
We also took loads of roundabout photos, mainly because they do like to landscape them and we would rather embrace them than get sick of how many there are. We missed some decent ones while I was on the phone.
We split driving duties today but did a lidls and filled up at 1.75 but we have seen 1.72. reckon the par is 1.78. LPG was gained at 97 at an auchan
We made Verteuil Sur charente which is a free Aire but dump and water unavailable. There are 4 electric points with no obvious way of paying so possibly free. Found it on search for sites. The surface of the Aire is compact chalky sand which will ensure you take shoes off when getting back in the van. The river is quite high and the path from Aire to river is underwater so walking on very sodden grass to go round the pretty town with church, chateau, eateries and lovely fast flowing river that had flooded the lavoirs. Well worthy of a walk round.
Paella from lidls for tea tonight. NB prawns are 7.99 a kilo next week in lidls.

The internet around Verteuil is pretty poor so will upload more photos to here tomorrow when I can.

Tomorrow will also be a travel day as we intend to cross the border and work out where to cycle on Sunday when it shouldn't be hammering it down all day

Only a couple of photos that I could upload that are on the journal. There are 24 to come tomorrow morning sometime!
We got to Cahors yesterday and have had rain all night, first for 6 weeks so not bad.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Today was just unbelievably wet. Really heavy showers all day and a couple of snowstorms. Getting 100 yards behind a lorry in the same track were our tactics.

Going round the rocade of Bordeaux cost us 45 minutes because of the jam so we made what we thought was an informed judgement on paying 6.50 to use the Bordeaux Biarritz road. It saved us 2 hours so arriving at our destination in good time. But then you have to pay another 6.50 then 6.60 then 4 euros. I d had enough of this unlenny like behaviour and got off as soon as we could and that even cost 1.11 euros ! This was hurting more than my back. But we saw an auchan in Spain as soon as we got off the toll road and Paula had the app but couldn't work out if 1.55 was cheap or not. Going by the queues for petrol and then filling up cans in the back of their cars we thought it would be cheap. I paid beforehand and selected diesel, picked up the black gasolena pump and halfway through filling up Paula tells me I ve got the wrong one because it's only 1.45. There was a medium to mild panic at this stage and I was bordering on nearly confident we had put diesel in. The next 20 miles in snowstorms wondering where the info was for breakdown recovery were mildly concerning.
But we made it and found new questions which may be answered in time for tomorrow's exciting episode of Spanish via Verde. If there are 2 lanes in your direction on a road and one in the opposite direction and your sign shows 70 for the middle of the three lanes. Do you drive on the right lane or the middle lane ?
Anyway we got to Calahorra with free Aire free water and potentially free electric. 8 official spots but shed loads of extra space in the car park. A walk over the bridge to what appears from the outside to be an old hilltop town so a walk with my poles and we saw 2 kids about 8 running away having set off firecrackers in a coke can. 30 seconds later 2 plod were walking about. Nobody else around ...... Until we turned left and presume they had just had some kind of kids bull run. We think there is a bull run tomorrow at 5 so our plan is to do half of the 33km cycle tomorrow then drive up to the finish on Monday where we can do the other half and finish with a free hot bath as there are some 52 degree natural baths at the end.

Photos are all of calahorra

IMG20240302180348.jpg
IMG20240302184108.jpg
IMG20240302184604.jpg
IMG20240302184904.jpg
IMG20240302185201.jpg
IMG20240302190437.jpg
IMG20240302190447.jpg
IMG20240302191026.jpg
IMG20240302191250.jpg
IMG20240302191319.jpg
IMG20240302192006.jpg
IMG20240302192633.jpg
IMG20240302194430.jpg

Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017

Too late now but I think the cheapest bar in the whole of France is just round the corner from the Aire in verteuil. Ran by an old lady at least 70(is that old to people on here?) We saw the price list on the door and thought it was an old one from years ago but it is current.

OP
OP
suavecarve

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Too late now but I think the cheapest bar in the whole of France is just round the corner from the Aire in verteuil. Ran by an old lady at least 70(is that old to people on here?) We saw the price list on the door and thought it was an old one from years ago but it is current.
Damit. I like cheap !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back