Skegness or Bruges ? (2 Viewers)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Do you really believe that out of 7,000,000,000 bodies on this planet you would be unlucky enough to be killed by a terrorist ? You've a better change of winning the lottery.

There is a tunnel now.

You are more likely to drown in the rough northern seas in a piddling little island hopping ferry.

Yes.
Just like back in the 80's , I thought if I took the drugs I'd be the one dead on the dance floor !

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Fascinating Dave
I took a look online and could only find references to York being part of Danelaw, not Skegness being part of Yorkshire.
Can you help me with this?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There's this

Danelaw.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danelaw

It seems to show the area where Skeggy is as a swamp though.

What a shame it's declined so badly over the last 1000 years or so. The people living there can only dream of something as nice as a swamp :whistle:

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
I saw a very exciting film involving Bruges once, can't say I've seen one with Skeggy though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I vote for Skeggy ... you cannot get proper fish and chips in Brugge!

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I was born in Brugge, spent the first 23 years of my life there, so can be a local voice with authority ::bigsmile:. The place is fake, the whole set-up is intended to be a tourist honey trap, all too neat, too tidy, all put on a bit too thickly and far too restrictive for ordinary living, tourism comes first, full stop. When going into town (the town centre within the 'ditches' is very small and extremely expensive) we'd have the game of 'spot someone speaking Flemish', honestly, there's that many foreigners around all year round (I'd be one of them by now :smiley:, the Flemish is well rusty). Not that I ever have been to Skegness, so not capable of a comparative analysis.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Having just spent a couple of days in Bruges I can quite agree with the claim that it's main aim is as a tourist destination, and it does it very well indeed.
With a first class aire close to the centre of town it sets an example that towns and cities across the U.K. could aspire to.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I was born in Brugge, spent the first 23 years of my life there, so can be a local voice with authority ::bigsmile:. The place is fake, the whole set-up is intended to be a tourist honey trap, all too neat, too tidy, all put on a bit too thickly and far too restrictive for ordinary living, tourism comes first, full stop. When going into town (the town centre within the 'ditches' is very small and extremely expensive) we'd have the game of 'spot someone speaking Flemish', honestly, there's that many foreigners around all year round (I'd be one of them by now :smiley:, the Flemish is well rusty). Not that I ever have been to Skegness, so not capable of a comparative analysis.
I always preferred Ghent as a city; never really liked Bruges

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you are going to the trouble of firing up the m/h at least make sure you get your money's worth and go somewhere exotic.

Got to be Skeggy!

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
OK, SG, ta...I think. You have obviously been there as you can spell it correctly, unlike us lot. Sooo, how do we feel about Brighton folks?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having just spent a couple of days in Bruges I can quite agree with the claim that it's main aim is as a tourist destination, and it does it very well indeed.
With a first class aire close to the centre of town it sets an example that towns and cities across the U.K. could aspire to.
Have you seen the price of the aire!!!!!:eek: €19 to €25 and NO reduced fee for parking for just a few hours ... I really hope the UK does NOT go down that route but instead copies some of the more sensible priced ones!!! (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Have you seen the price of the aire!!!!!:eek: €19 to €25 and NO reduced fee for parking for just a few hours ... I really hope the UK does NOT go down that route but instead copies some of the more sensible priced ones!!! (y)

Location location location. It's in a fantastic position in a place that people want to visit.

It's a 5-10 minute gentle stroll from the middle of town.

The campsite is cheaper but it's several miles out.

We'd pick the aire every single time. It's a nice one, tarmac but well maintained with water and electric. If you get very lucky there are a couple of spaces where you can have some grass outdoor space.

Anyway they must be doing something right because at busy times both parts of the aire, the main one and the overspill across the road, fill up and they use the coach park as a second overspill.

In France aires in popular locations are also quite expensive - Honfleur, Chamonix and the seaside towns in the South for instance - and give you less. €12 - €13 is not unusual in popular tourist places.

The "sensible priced ones" as you put it tend to be in less popular places that fewer people want to visit.

Both types, the expensive ones and the cheap/free ones, are priced for their respective markets. The more people want to visit somewhere the more you can charge them for the privilege and vice versa.

It would be exactly the same in the UK should they start to appear. An aire right on Brighton seafront would be £20 per night and probably full up from May to October, an aire on an industrial estate on the outskirts of Luton would be free and more than likely empty most of the time.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It would be exactly the same in the UK should they start to appear. An aire right on Brighton seafront would be £20 per night and probably full up from May to October, an aire on an industrial estate on the outskirts of Luton would be free and more than likely empty most of the time.
But that, Nick, suggests that UK aires would only succeed in certain places :whistle:;):) Not what some would have us believe :D

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning

Which side did you manage to get onto ? Every time I have visited there is a big Concorde tucked into the left handside corner. I imagery be he lives on the air or he's following me around.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back