My E + P jacks will not deploy (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think the problem might now be something more fundamental. I had checked battery volts yesterday when we had the problem and all looked good at 12.6V but this morning we only have 11.9 . Even more pleased they didn't go down or they would surely be stuck down. What is extra confusing is when the engine is still running there is no charge going to the hab batteries where normally there is

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think the problem might now be something more fundamental. I had checked battery volts yesterday when we had the problem and all looked good at 12.6V but this morning we only have 11.9 . Even more pleased they didn't go down or they would surely be stuck down. What is extra confusing is when the engine is still running there is no charge going to the hab batteries where normally there is
I thought the jacks were always wired to the engine battery as they only operate with the engine running can't see any logic in wiring to Leisure battery.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
David, sorry to hear about your issues but things had been going far too smoothly by all accounts, as you say at least not stuck down. Bear in there is a warning light for when there is insufficient or no vehicle battery voltage, the indicator LED ‘’LOW VOLTAGE’’ (no.2) lights up on both remote and control panel. Those voltages do seem a bit odd.

Anyway, is the place you are staying nice?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ours are wired to vehicle battery and I always deploy and retract with engine running although the will work without.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I reckon ours will be standard wiring by SAP just a coincidence that we now have a hab battery issue as well.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ours were wired to the engine battery also.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I might need a new thread for this part of the query, which I actually think are a total coincidence

What makes or allows the had battery to charge when the engine is running? ours always did, but doesn't now o_O

driven all day with no input, although when parked in the sun the battery quickly recovered to 12.5+ but dropped quickly when used

new hab battery is almost certainly needed, if you recall we had 2 bought new when we bought this new to us MH in 2013, so now 4 years old, one had failed and was disconnected and removed while we were at VanBitz in Feb on our way to France, we have coped well with one battery all year, but will be getting new batteries fitted as part of this investigation / repair

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Is there a fuse between the habitation battery and the alternator (via split charge relays) that has blown?

Or disconnection of d+ signal wire not operating relays. (does jack system monitor d+ to tell if engine is running?)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
A split charge relay internal in the Elektroblock takes care of charging when the engine is running. Don't know what model your EBL is but some of the older ones had a system what acted like a BtoB.
There are normally fuses at the back of the EBL and by the starter battery check these before getting too panicy.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'm sorry you are having a problem David, but just out interest, is there no way of manually retracting the jacks should you get a failure when extended?
Yes you can do it manually but it's a bit of a pain however apparently there is a way changing over a couple of wires but never tried it.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Is there a fuse between the habitation battery and the alternator (via split charge relays) that has blown?

Or disconnection of d+ signal wire not operating relays. (does jack system monitor d+ to tell if engine is running?)

If I translated this to Mandarin I would have as much chance of understanding what it means as I do just reading it, I really am technically inept, luckily in business I have been quite successful so can afford to pay for solutions, my next issue though is finding a competent firm to give my money to o_O

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A split charge relay internal in the Elektroblock takes care of charging when the engine is running. Don't know what model your EBL is but some of the older ones had a system what acted like a BtoB.
There are normally fuses at the back of the EBL and by the starter battery check these before getting too panicy.

thanks Lenny, I seem to recall from an earlier issue we had that our EBL is something never ever fitted to any Hymer before :( it was a demo for a few years and I wonder if either things failed or just got borrowed over the years

not panicking yet, just concerned about who to trust to sort it, part of is pretty much convinced it will be a simple fuse or reset needed, just I have no idea where to start, I will post a photo of the EBL tomorrow to get things started (y)

I am now fairly sure the E + P is an unrelated but one of those frustrating coincidences

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
If I translated this to Mandarin I would have as much chance of understanding what it means as I do just reading it, I really am technically inept, luckily in business I have been quite successful so can afford to pay for solutions, my next issue though is finding a competent firm to give my money to o_O

住宅電池和交流發電機之間是否有熔斷器(通過分流充電繼電器)已經熔斷?

或斷開d +信號線不工作的繼電器。 (有沒有jack系統監視器d +來判斷引擎是否正在運行?)

Hope this helps (y) :rofl::rofl:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
no idea Martin, never even think to look, but will check that out tomorrow

I am presuming that by work you simply mean the symbol is lit? the fridge will already be cold from hook up

Yes 12v symbol lit up when switched to "auto" will at least tell you that the signal from the alternator to say that its working is OK (thats your D+)

EDIT
Should add that its quite possible that the jacks need to see the D+ signal to know that the engine is running.

Martin

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
L
Yes 12v symbol lit up when switched to "auto" will at least tell you that the signal from the alternator to say that its working is OK (thats your D+)

EDIT
Should add that its quite possible that the jacks need to see the D+ signal to know that the engine is running.

Martin
Our E&P jacks will deploy with just the 'ignition' switch on but no engine running.

Richard.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
L

Our E&P jacks will deploy with just the 'ignition' switch on but no engine running.

Richard.

Ours and Davids may well be the same but not able to check ours at the moment, but thought it was a worthwhile check considering the hab battery doesn't seem to be charging either.

Martin

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I'm the EP will be a simple solution hope you get it sorted soon I would be lost without ours now.
Good luck(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
good morning technical support team and other casual followers / interested parties :)

just been out to MH to try what even I can cope with easily, first off checked the voltages immediately after disconnecting hook up, 13.4V hab 13.0 cab (y)

started engine, then checked for a light beside the battery selector on the fridge, as brilliantly suggested by Martin (y), I can still easily cope with this degree of technical, so far at least (y), the fridge is as always set to auto, and the battery icon is lit :( bugger this is going to get complex

just then thought I heard the noise all E + P owners will know, the legs or at least the pump doing a very brief burst of whatever it is they do, the same one we get about 15 seconds after retracting, a rather reassuring event to confirm all is up and ready to move (y), so that noise meant the legs were not dead at least

then I rechecked the controller for voltages with engine running still, now got 13.8V and 6A's going into hab battery o_O(y)

the good bit is the power of funster support seems to have healed my too clever for its own good MH (y), the bad bit is I have no idea why yesterday it didn't and cant help reminding my self that had the legs been down, apart from a long exercise with an alun key, we might still be parked in Manchester :(

I had started and stopped the engine quite a few times yesterday trying to check different things, another difference we noted was that yesterday our step out warning buzzer wasn't buzzing, it is manual retract, but with the new 360 camera it is now quite obvious if left out. That buzzer was working as soon as I started the engine today, masked by also having the door open which generates the same alarm, but when I closed door confirmed the step alert was working again

I am pleased and confused in equal measures, better off than I feared I might be and Mick at SAP has been saved from another of the daft calls he probably gets far too regularly :):)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I'm thinking have you got an intermittent problem with your alternator. The step buzzer is controlled from the alternator D terminal via a Schaudt relay box, and if the jacks only work with the engine running I suspect there control is triggered from the alternator D terminal.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Lenny HB thanks for above, I guess it might be the relay, the wire or the alternator?

engine side seems to be fine, but no doubt the whole alternator has to go if this D terminal fails o_O

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Glad to hear you are sorted and as you say that last blip of the EPs is very reassuring.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
thanks Lenny, I seem to recall from an earlier issue we had that our EBL is something never ever fitted to any Hymer before :( it was a demo for a few years and I wonder if either things failed or just got borrowed over the years

not panicking yet, just concerned about who to trust to sort it, part of is pretty much convinced it will be a simple fuse or reset needed, just I have no idea where to start, I will post a photo of the EBL tomorrow to get things started (y)

I am now fairly sure the E + P is an unrelated but one of those frustrating coincidences
Thinking back to the other thread don't you have the only Hymer in the world with a Reich system rather than an Elektroblock.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just for information, my factory fitted E&P system, is wired to the hab battery which surprised Mick but does mean that you do not need the ignition on to operate. There is quite a big draw from the system.
I have had several issues of the system locking up and a quick disconnect of the grey connector has cleared it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back