Is there an Interactive map to plot where we have been - any suggestions (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
ooh. Not seen this before . quite like that. The last 5 years.....

travel.jpg

Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
There is an app ( and a website, I believe) called Polarsteps which allows you to log and annotate journeys with words and photos. I haven’t used it myself, but a friend of mine sent me a link to their caravan trip round Spain and Portugal last year. It looked great. polarsteps.comView attachment 576575
We use it and it's free and so easy ..Plot where you are add photos, add comments, the job is done... see it all on a map!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
We used polarsteps. It got itself in a bit of a muddle on our last journey though.

You can add photos and write a blog on it too.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It makes me wonder what else they know about us.
If you have nothing to hide it's absolutely brilliant, my son works in a job where he goes round a lot of quarys and has to claim his traveling money and he just puts his timeline stuff down on his claim, job done.
We have our tours on there from 2007 on and can look back anytime we want.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can't lose Google, get a new phone or gadget and it's all there.
Unless you are 'naughty' and they ban you! :giggle:

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
My problem with Google location is that it tracks everything, including non moho trips or a shop to the supermarket. So it tends to get overloaded. Why not just use a simple Google Map with pins, and as others say, you cant lose it, its in the cloud. . You can add comments and images, save it in Google's MyMaps and export for use in Google Earth.
My visited sites are here.

OP
OP
E

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
i log all our trips, including coordinates, on an Excel sheet and then import into google maps.

Everywhere We've Stayed Ever - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1v2YFDDMIh2dQJoF7Yi7GfC1S2fqz33cu&hl=en&usp=sharing
Wow. That looks clever and like something I could like. Only problem is, not sure how to do it🤔

Would you mind (be able) to private message me how you set up you excel sheet and how you import to google maps with tags?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Would you mind (be able) to private message me how you set up you excel sheet and how you import to google maps with tags?
Sure, You will of course need Excel. Create your spreadsheet with the columns you want to record (costs, comments etc) and include the coordinates. I use longitude and latitude, column for each. I'll pvt message you the rest unless anyone else has any interest.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you have nothing to hide it's absolutely brilliant, my son works in a job where he goes round a lot of quarys and has to claim his traveling money and he just puts his timeline stuff down on his claim, job done.
We have our tours on there from 2007 on and can look back anytime we want.
I don't have much to hide
apart from a few valuables I've left at home.

OP
OP
E

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
Sure, You will of course need Excel. Create your spreadsheet with the columns you want to record (costs, comments etc) and include the coordinates. I use longitude and latitude, column for each. I'll pvt message you the rest unless anyone else has any interest.
Yes, thanks. I’m not bad with excel columns, formulates etc. I don’t know though how to import stuff. A view of your sheet in a pm would be great to start off, then, maybe, how to import into a map.

One question, can you save this as a one off dedicated trip map and load it independently, so that it doesn’t load each time I open up google maps as I use it quite a bit for referencing etc.

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740
Hi

I’ve done a search but can’t find the answer other than somebody suggesting an app.

We have racked up so many sites and places, that I’m forgetting where we have been to some degree.

I wondered if it is it possible to load a map (Google maps?), and mark all the places we have visited and perhaps a note/tag of the site we stayed at, what we thought of it, price etc, so we can just load the map easily and make reference to it?

Thanks
There is an app called Polarsteps, this is the site: https://www.polarsteps.com/ it is a fantastic app, good luck

Feb 18, 2022
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
RT Pergaso 740

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I use a highlighter on the paper map book. The Michelin A3 book of France has 271 page (not all map pages, some are the index etc) and my aim is to have a highlighted bit on every page one day ! Trouble is the highlighter ink can fade in sunlight. I like to be able to see the green edges michelin routes, which are described as scenic , when planning which way to go.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If you are talking about plotting going forward then PolarSteps is excellent. Going back historically you could set up a google Mao and put pins on it

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
I use polarsteps as you add photos and use it as a journal of your travels too. You can share it with family members if you wish. The app is free, they make their money be offering to print your journal at the end of the trip. That's not obligatory and and i've not had one done, but it might be nice after an amazing trip.

May 23, 2021
Beds.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
Also check this link, there's one being developed as we speak!

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
I did a map of Greece stopovers using my maps....

Pete

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
If you are using Google Maps it would be worth checking you location if you are static for a few days. Mine had me in Cheltenham yesterday when I am in Spain. It added quite a trip to my timeline. In the past it had located me in Brazil and somewhere in Bosnia.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back