Is there an Interactive map to plot where we have been - any suggestions (1 Viewer)

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
Hi

I’ve done a search but can’t find the answer other than somebody suggesting an app.

We have racked up so many sites and places, that I’m forgetting where we have been to some degree.

I wondered if it is it possible to load a map (Google maps?), and mark all the places we have visited and perhaps a note/tag of the site we stayed at, what we thought of it, price etc, so we can just load the map easily and make reference to it?

Thanks

OP
OP
E

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
If you have location tracking turned on in Google Maps then you can use Google Maps Timeline to see where you were anywhere in the world any date or time and see what route you took.
I can only see location sharing - not tracking?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is part of mine, you can zoom in to whatever place you were actually parked
Screenshot_20220118-132116-136.png

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Yes and you can also get your routes taken , timings the lot

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Hi

I’ve done a search but can’t find the answer other than somebody suggesting an app.

We have racked up so many sites and places, that I’m forgetting where we have been to some degree.

I wondered if it is it possible to load a map (Google maps?), and mark all the places we have visited and perhaps a note/tag of the site we stayed at, what we thought of it, price etc, so we can just load the map easily and make reference to it?

Thanks

I take a picture at all the locations and when I upload it it automatically show on my computer where they were taken and the picture reminds me?
Don't ask me how it's done, it just happened??? :LOL:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Here's one of ours, where we were parked in Scarborough, last year
Screenshot_20220118-132654-621.png

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
I take a picture at all the locations and when I upload it it automatically show on my computer where they were taken and the picture reminds me?
Don't ask me how it's done, it just happened??? :LOL:
Every photo contains EXIF data which along with information about the camera settings will also contain your GPS location, though you can turn that off if you wanted to. Whatever app you’re uploading your pictures too will read it and show on a map if it’s available.

Jan 27, 2014
Herts
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2014, changed our MH 4 years ago
There is an app ( and a website, I believe) called Polarsteps which allows you to log and annotate journeys with words and photos. I haven’t used it myself, but a friend of mine sent me a link to their caravan trip round Spain and Portugal last year. It looked great. polarsteps.com
F8BA2B23-4456-4CA1-AB75-4A8FD5CC2825.png

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
It is great looking back on timeline routes and think I actually got there ! Especially if it was a goal and you think will I ever go back there ? Remote areas ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There is an app ( and a website, I believe) called Polarsteps which allows you to log and annotate journeys with words and photos. I haven’t used it myself, but a friend of mine sent me a link to their caravan trip round Spain and Portugal last year. It looked great. polarsteps.comView attachment 576575
Thing is with these other things, yes you can put more detail in but that's the thing, you have to put it in, with Google maps timeline it's all automatic, you don't have to do a thing.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My tracker records journeys with times speeds etc not sure how far back info stored but a screen shot of every trip would give a record, attached screen shot of recent warm up.
0213F429-2AA6-4E9D-B845-D2F1D738F48A.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I use a good old fashioned paper road map for the various countries. I mark on them the route with highlighter pens (different colours for each year), where & when we stopped then we give a star rating. It has come in very useful over the years and we can see at a glance all of them and our thoughts for each.

You can use the apps, google etc to keep track of where you've been but IMV you can't beat having something you can look at on a large scale and use to plan your next move, hubby loves the map and wouldn't be without it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
There is an app ( and a website, I believe) called Polarsteps which allows you to log and annotate journeys with words and photos. I haven’t used it myself, but a friend of mine sent me a link to their caravan trip round Spain and Portugal last year. It looked great. polarsteps.comView attachment 576575
Did Tam Northernraider not use that a year or two back and we could all track his movements?

Or maybe that should be travels!:whistle2::rofl:

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
You can put pins on google earth to show points of interest .
I intentionaly forget my phone when we go out.
So when we get back if theres anywhere we have been or if i read on here of anywhere at home or in europe i pin it.
Ive also go a book ( one of those paper things) and have started making notes in that .
Im sure that will be around many many years after all my tech gadgets break, expire or get lost.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You can put pins on google earth to show points of interest .
I intentionaly forget my phone when we go out.
So when we get back if theres anywhere we have been or if i read on here of anywhere at home or in europe i pin it.
Ive also go a book ( one of those paper things) and have started making notes in that .
Im sure that will be around many many years after all my tech gadgets break, expire or get lost.
You can't lose Google, get a new phone or gadget and it's all there.

OP
OP
E

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
Thanks to all.

My google maps timeline is just about empty, so, a big old fashioned map might be the only way to go for me, (and simplest).

It was just an idea instead of keeping a diary, but not as straightforward as I thought.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you get a hand-held GPS device (eg Garmin) it will track where you've been and not tell anyone else.
You can do much more than record routes, of course, but nothing has to go onto the internet unless you choose to put it there.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you get a hand-held GPS device (eg Garmin) it will track where you've been and not tell anyone else.
You can do much more than record routes, of course, but nothing has to go onto the internet unless you choose to put it there.
and their sat navs if you turn on trip history.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
use a good old fashioned paper road map for the various countries. I mark on them the route with highlighter pens (different colours for each year), where & when we stopped then we give a star rating.
Good system , got to have a steady hand , and colour pens that don’t clash with colours on the map

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back