Is it now time to go electric. (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
So those people who rely on their car for shopping, hospital and doctors appointments but probably only do less than one thousand miles a year and most of the time their vehicles sit doing nothing end up paying monthly( more than £200 I’m sure)
A number of years ago I met an old lady when I took my youngest to the play park. She said she no longer had a car - she’d worked out it was cheaper to get a taxi wherever she wanted to go. For some, that may be a sensible option.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
A number of years ago I met an old lady when I took my youngest to the play park. She said she no longer had a car - she’d worked out it was cheaper to get a taxi wherever she wanted to go. For some, that may be a sensible option.
Yes it can be but then it really restricts your life if you are still ok health wise, having to plan and phone a taxi to go somewhere.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Yes it can be but then it really restricts your life if you are still ok health wise, having to plan and phone a taxi to go somewhere.
Again only if you live in town or city. I guess. She was quite frail so probably made excellent sense.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I spent the day in London yesterday, it is a fantastic place to spend a day in an EV. Special Parking for EVs, charging for EVs no congestion for EVs. It is like the old days. So is it time to go electric? Not just cars, motorbikes too :cool: . Proper motorbikes big jobbies all electric, they don't make a sound as they fly through the traffic and some of the very expensive kit the riders whare is sooooo.. futuristic. Is it now time to go electric or should we wait a little longer. :unsure:
If we all go to electric at the same time it will be a nightmare. There will be too few charging stations. Charging stations with incompatible charging connections and not enough trained mechanics to deal with breakdown issues.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Taxis can work out cheaper than buses if there are a few of you even in smaller towns

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I do. We love London. Historic places, theatres, great transportation.
👍 Phil
You can take a horse to water Phil. (y) The place is just amazing in so many ways. Yesterday I took someone up to a hospital in Highgate. It was an all day jobbi so we had a look around the cemetery and Karl Marx's headstone as well as the area itself just amazing.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
We are lucky to have a ULEZ, LEZ, compliant vehicle so Abbey wood and Crystal Palace is now easy for us.
Phil
Abbey Wood is going to be an even more attractive site for London with the opening of the Elizabeth Line. Straight into the West End in 24mins.

Last edited:
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
have you got any numbers
Never counted but a lot of Tesla are evident. I also can't understand why motorcycles and cars are transported hundreds of miles to have a puncture repaired. I thought manufacturers were trying to reduce fuel usage. A BMW motorcycle was recently carried over 210 miles on a 7 5ton truck for a puncture repair. This isn't a one off case either.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Never counted but a lot of Tesla are evident. I also can't understand why motorcycles and cars are transported hundreds of miles to have a puncture repaired. I thought manufacturers were trying to reduce fuel usage. A BMW motorcycle was recently carried over 210 miles on a 7 5ton truck for a puncture repair. This isn't a one off case either.
National contracts and overall gains even with small losses in some areas

Feb 20, 2022
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 599 sport
Exp
Im a newbie
Visiting is not compulsory JnJ :giggler: but do it in an EV and you just might enjoy the experience.....:cooler:
No thank you I worked in and around London for 35 yrs .Thank you for the invite but I will decline .It used to be a great place ,but alas no more .

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Just what I was saying to an elderly relative recently, tax, insurance, fuel depreciation, you could get a taxi into town and back each day and it would be cheaper than running a car, but it’s the independence they cling to, plus they feel defeated when the day comes to stop driving.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No desire to go to london or indeed any big city. And no desire to ever own an electric car ...and an electric silent motorbike is just lunacy.

But if it floats your boat go electric now while its free tax etc . Because as soon as its more popular than ice the financial benefits will be gone

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Most people won’t do it until they are forced to, I’m talking about most working people who don’t live in big cities.

It’s a different mentality out in the countryside, in the power cut storm Arwen Nov/Dec last year we were without power for 8 days, the very few with electric cars couldn’t move them.
Except the petrol pumps run on electric so they wouldn't have been able to work either?

Oh? you say.. But the petrol car could have driven to a petrol station in an area with electric? Yup, But so could an electric car.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Except the petrol pumps run on electric so they wouldn't have been able to work either?

Oh? you say.. But the petrol car could have driven to a petrol station in an area with electric? Yup, But so could an electric car.
The NEDL engineers were also saying there are people with electric cars stuck around the Dale without any power. Same with heat pumps, a couple I know and talked to in the village moved into a hotel during the power cut as they had their open fires/stoves removed and heat pump put in. Putting all their eggs in one basket.

You are a great promoter of electric vehicles and have been asked many times on here when you are getting yours, the simple answer behind all the waffle is your not because they are far too expensive.

And that’s the reason I’m not either, just look at the subsidies someone mentioned in Germany for getting one and what they have done over here.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
All city centres should ban private vehicles, any deliveries transferred to electric vehicles on the outskirts and clean efficient and cheap public transport systems in place.

Sorry I was confusing dreams of the future from 20 or so years ago with reality 😂😂😂😂

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just what I was saying to an elderly relative recently, tax, insurance, fuel depreciation, you could get a taxi into town and back each day and it would be cheaper than running a car, but it’s the independence they cling to, plus they feel defeated when the day comes to stop driving.
I was chatting to my step-MIL yesterday and she said that she's going to give her car up next year once the insurance runs out (she's 91 now although she's been saying this for a few years!), they don't use it much but as she now has cataracts developing she no longer drives at night (as advised by her optician) and knows they will get worse so it's likely that this time she will let it go. They have quite a good choice of shops locally and it's only a 1 minute walk to a bus stop so with their bus passes can get to various supermarkets, towns etc FOC without any issues and of course for those non-standard trips they can get a taxi or one of the family will drive them. I don't know what her insurance is but it won't be cheap and of course looking after the car now it's getting on isn't cheap either. My FIL doesn't drive (not safe ... never has been IMV) so it something happened and she couldn't drive they'd have to use other means anyway which fortunately they have access to. I've been in the car with her and it wasn't great as she can drive well BUT she does speed although she denies it!

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
No thank you I worked in and around London for 35 yrs .Thank you for the invite but I will decline .It used to be a great place ,but alas no more .
It cant be denied JnJ that parts of London have changed, my family were Thames watermen, father to son for centuries ending with myself and my brother. The docks have gone being replaced with expensive dwellings. The Royal docks have now become London City airport. I spent my school holidays on my fathers working boats heading for the career that disappeared from under us so I do understand change. However, I still love to visit these areas set out like villages alongside that magnificent river. This is why it has become a mecca for those who can afford to live there. :coolest:

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
I was hoping when we moved to Hull we could do away with a car but Mrs wasn’t keen at all. One of the daughters is with us in a wheelchair now so option removed.

I was all set to get a full EV but currently there are problems with charging for lone women and disabled in quite a few places, mainly evening/night for women. It wasn’t on fitting home charging station unless I got dropped kerb and did away with part of the front garden which we didn’t want so ordered a petrol hybrid instead

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
emmisions reduction, safer roads,

"Congestion charging continues to make a valuable contribution to London’s transport network. It has reduced congestion and provided better transport services, far cleaner air and safer roads. The primary aim of the Congestion Charge has been to cut traffic levels and congestion in London. Traffic entering the original charging zone has remained stable at 27 per cent lower than pre-charging conditions in 2002. This means that nearly 80,000 fewer cars enter the original charging zone each day. Cycling levels in the Congestion Charging zone are also up by 66 per cent since the introduction of the scheme. "
It’s just a money making scheme and run by an unelected quango

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
It’s just a money making scheme and run by an unelected quango
seems a fair well educated and informed point we should all take note of, Ill be sure te get a message to the world leaders and greta thunberg....NOT !

I

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'll stick with my car and use the underground

I occasionally go into London for a family trip, museums etc. With electric car, I can expect to pay about £1 in electricity and about £10-20 for a day's parking if booked in advance. If we go on a Sunday we might be lucky enough to find free parking. There's a few years left before EVs pay congestion charge...

If we take the train, an off peak Travelcard for the 5 of us is £75.75.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
This makes the ev argument even worse in Canada
1656417366298.png

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Not interested until I absolutely have to , I live in the sticks and will be sticking with my Euro 6 diesel as long as possible
Besides there is nothing in the EV market suitable for towing 1.6 tons unless your happy to have enforced stops every 100-110 miles which I’m not prepared to suffer the inconvenience

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The NEDL engineers were also saying there are people with electric cars stuck around the Dale without any power. Same with heat pumps, a couple I know and talked to in the village moved into a hotel during the power cut as they had their open fires/stoves removed and heat pump put in. Putting all their eggs in one basket.
And I bet there were people stuck around the dale with their petrol cars for exactly the same reasons. They were fools who didn't plan ahead.

Heat pumps are a different issue.

You are a great promoter of electric vehicles and have been asked many times on here when you are getting yours, the simple answer behind all the waffle is your not because they are far too expensive.

And that’s the reason I’m not either, just look at the subsidies someone mentioned in Germany for getting one and what they have done over here.

There is NO waffle on my part. I buy second hand vehicles because that is what I can afford. My current van cost me £2,500 ish. When BEV vans are that price I will buy them in preference to Diesel like a shot. That won't happen for around 10 years, as it will take that long for the 2nd hand market in BEV vans to develop.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back