Is it now time to go electric. (3 Viewers)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Why not - they’re still causing congrstion
emmisions reduction, safer roads,

"Congestion charging continues to make a valuable contribution to London’s transport network. It has reduced congestion and provided better transport services, far cleaner air and safer roads. The primary aim of the Congestion Charge has been to cut traffic levels and congestion in London. Traffic entering the original charging zone has remained stable at 27 per cent lower than pre-charging conditions in 2002. This means that nearly 80,000 fewer cars enter the original charging zone each day. Cycling levels in the Congestion Charging zone are also up by 66 per cent since the introduction of the scheme. "

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Have you never heard of a 'loss-leader' do you really believe that once more people are committed to electric all these freebees will remain?🤔
well none of us are fortunes tellers but in the meantime Im making savings, and hopefully helping a cleaner planet for your grandkids.

Remember passenger aircraft being for the elite few when they first started ..look at it now ?
same with the internal combustion engine, mobile phones, computers, video recorders, tvs, anything.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I’ll stick with my gas guzzling V8 Merc and avoid London like the plague. (y)
I have no desire whatsoever to go to that place. Ever.
London is a beautiful world class city ASR and I have visited many. Your close neighbor Norwich is a great place to visit also as I'm sure you are aware :winky:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
If that’s all the politicians see all day long is EV’s everywhere, no wonder they think the rest of us want one.

I’ll need to be pushed, as I wont jump.

Can you imagine if we did end up in another war, what the impact would be on power and the ability to charge them. Winter of 1978 also springs to mind with the country in a recession and constant power cuts …….

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
you can still get these :rofl:

1656404931825.png

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
If that’s all the politicians see all day long is EV’s everywhere, no wonder they think the rest of us want one.

I’ll need to be pushed, as I wont jump.

Can you imagine if we did end up in another war, what the impact would be on power and the ability to charge them. Winter of 1978 also springs to mind with the country in a recession and constant power cuts …….
My question is why do all politicians get driven around in big ICE powered 4 x 4's and not EV's

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Got customers who have hybrid 4x4s never charge them, and the have silly low range. But means they can go to their London place of work/houses/theatres/shops, all free of extra charges. Not bothered about the electrical bit, apart from financial benefits.
Not since 2021:-

Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) will no longer be exempt from the London congestion charge after 2021, as part of a new package of measures aimed at tackling congestion and improving air quality.

Anyone who is thinking that buying an EV will get them congestion charge free in London long term - think again.

The wife's SMART For Two Diesel bought in 2012 was Congestion Charge free up until 2016 when that was suddenly changed and now is not even ULEZ compliant despite being £0 road tax and having the lowest C02 output of ANY car on the planet. The current EV exemption will quickly go the way of my wife's car once there is more of an uptake. The grant for buying an EV under £30 odd thousand has already gone and once/if there is ever enought of a take up road pricing will follow.

I looked into buying an EV recently. I test drove the Testla Model 3 Performance and Twin Motor and the Mustang Mach E. Both where very nice and impressive to drive but the best part of £50-60k and a year waiting for delivery. With the relatively low mileage I do now (highest mileage is done in the Motorhome) and the increase in domestic electricity costs they were simply not viable. In the end I have ordered a Toyota CH-R Hybrid which cost about £20k less and should return 50+ mpg.
I live in SE London and would not dream of traveling into Central London in any way other than by the Train or Tube. I have a Freedom Pass so it's free anyway 😊.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I spent the day in London yesterday, it is a fantastic place to spend a day in an EV. Special Parking for EVs, charging for EVs no congestion for EVs. It is like the old days. So is it time to go electric? Not just cars, motorbikes too :cool: . Proper motorbikes big jobbies all electric, they don't make a sound as they fly through the traffic and some of the very expensive kit the riders whare is sooooo.. futuristic. Is it now time to go electric or should we wait a little longer. :unsure:

As soon as the majority buy and use EV's all these 'special' privileges will disappear. They will be taxed, pay for parking, congestion zones etc like now.

emmisions reduction, safer roads,

"Congestion charging continues to make a valuable contribution to London’s transport network. It has reduced congestion and provided better transport services, far cleaner air and safer roads. The primary aim of the Congestion Charge has been to cut traffic levels and congestion in London. Traffic entering the original charging zone has remained stable at 27 per cent lower than pre-charging conditions in 2002. This means that nearly 80,000 fewer cars enter the original charging zone each day. Cycling levels in the Congestion Charging zone are also up by 66 per cent since the introduction of the scheme. "

Should be called emissions charging then - not congestion. I disagree with charging for these privileges anyway. Why should you be entitled to pollute the city in your big petrol engine just because you are rich! Much fairer to have a pass system based on need or allow people in based on something random like the first letter if your number plate. Other cities in Europe have used this system in the past. i.e. Letters A - G can come in on Monday and Wednesday. H -N on Tuesday and Thursday. etc.

Why does protecting the environment always have to restrict the poor?

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
One of my customers has a large fleet of recovery vehicles. The amount of electric vehicles I see recovered by him is scary. Everything from exploding batteries to burnt-out wiring. Electric vehicles? No thanks.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
But they are clean without pollution. It is the quality of the air we breath that is the point in question. This is the reason for the ulez etc that now extends out to the ring road, it is there to extend the lives of those who live and work in big cities.
Not really about raising money for TFL? :rolleyes:

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
There will come a day soon when electric cars will be charged the same rate for going into London or any other city as petrol cars are today.

Edit :- Just noticed VXman said the same

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
well none of us are fortunes tellers but in the meantime Im making savings, and hopefully helping a cleaner planet for your grandkids.

Remember passenger aircraft being for the elite few when they first started ..look at it now ?
same with the internal combustion engine, mobile phones, computers, video recorders, tvs, anything.

The latest EU proposals include total exemptions for private jets and megayachts. Odd, isn't it.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
There will come a day soon when electric cars will be charged the same rate for going into London or any other city as petrol cars are today.
no there maybe will become a day where NO vehicles apart form public transport will be allowed in

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
No way, not until EV's become affordable to the masses !!
I’ll wait until they give me an EV plus £10,000, then I’ll be converted, until then no way.
In 10/15 years they will be saying that EV’s are wrong and bad for the environment and need scrapping. Bit like their doing now for diesel, not long ago we were encouraged to but them.

Oct 27, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Since 2015
But they are clean without pollution. It is the quality of the air we breath that is the point in question. This is the reason for the ulez etc that now extends out to the ring road, it is there to extend the lives of those who live and work in big cities.
I'm not disagreeing about the pollution, I'm asking why EVs are exempt from congestion charging. They're still causing congestion. Otherwise it's an just additional tax for ICE drivers

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
The problem is the cost of new cars...be they ice or electric.....most people cant afford them, I seem to recall the used car market in the uk has 4 times the sales of new cars, buying a second hand ice is scary enough but a used electric would have most running away.
It needs a whole shift from owning to leasing/renting/PCP or whatever label they give it these days.
When Joe public sees 'paying £200* a month on a package to include the car, servicing, insurance for 3 years and then give the car back' as a good thing then it will change but I dont see it anytime soon.

I do think people may be forced off the road in ice cars but not replace them with anything, wonder what will happen then...lost revenue, lost jobs 🤷‍♂️

*£200 is a guess just for a figure, no idea if it's possible for that price

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
No they dont CazPaul Quote: A question is often asked is whether or not there’s an electric vehicle congestion charge, and thankfully there’s not. All fully electric cars are completely exempt from the London Congestion Charge, as well as the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) charge.

This applies to everything from the affordable and popular Nissan Leaf to the luxury Porsche Taycan. This continues in October when low-emission petrol and diesel must start to pay. Given petrol and diesel company cars won’t be exempt from paying the charge, if you want to avoid the Congestion Charge, electric cars are the way to go.
No, the way to go is avoid going to London !

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
No, it’s to make money, nothing to do with pollution, we are being had big time.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not really about raising money for TFL? :rolleyes:
Wash your mouth out SD :winky:;) Now where is our petite mayor and his cash cow during the rail strikes. Not seen hide nor hair of him and his personal film crew since Mick Lynch first appeared on the media. Now is our mayor backing Mick Lynch in favor of railway men's industrial action or is he in favor rail companies planed changes in terms and conditions.
Anyone know where he is......?:lipssealed::giggler:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
If you have an EV along with a few solar panels or a cheap charging source then not very much j&s. A set of batteries equivalent to a large tank of fuel will supply a great deal of domestic electricity as an alternative to paying the grid supplier for it.
The cost of charging an electric vehicle will rocket once they have made people change, it will be charged at a much higher rate than domestic electricity, fuel prices are now £2 per litre, they are not going to sell electric vehicles if fuel is cheap !!!

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Sorry, but how can the manufacture of new vehicles, the scrapping of old, AND the making electricity be COMPLETELY without pollution???
It is all to do with population density where this pollution settles. Acid rain was never a problem for us, it is something that happens in the hills and forests of Scandinavia. Just build taller chimneys.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
To be honest if in city public transport/electric scooter is probably way yo go.
But for those of us living in rural places ICE still makes sense for a variety of reasons from lack of charging availability to range. Scrapping cars is not eco friendly either and I am not convinced that electric is the end game.
I’m doing nothing until my current car (2015) dies or becomes uneconomical to repair then I’ll see if there is any more clarity over what makes sense for the next one.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
The problem is the cost of new cars...be they ice or electric.....most people cant afford them, I seem to recall the used car market in the uk has 4 times the sales of new cars, buying a second hand ice is scary enough but a used electric would have most running away.
It needs a whole shift from owning to leasing/renting/PCP or whatever label they give it these days.
When Joe public sees 'paying £200* a month on a package to include the car, servicing, insurance for 3 years and then give the car back' as a good thing then it will change but I dont see it anytime soon.

I do think people may be forced off the road in ice cars but not replace them with anything, wonder what will happen then...lost revenue, lost jobs 🤷‍♂️

*£200 is a guess just for a figure, no idea if it's possible for that price
So those people who rely on their car for shopping, hospital and doctors appointments but probably only do less than one thousand miles a year and most of the time their vehicles sit doing nothing end up paying monthly( more than £200 I’m sure)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back