Is it now time to go electric. (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I spent the day in London yesterday, it is a fantastic place to spend a day in an EV. Special Parking for EVs, charging for EVs no congestion for EVs. It is like the old days. So is it time to go electric? Not just cars, motorbikes too :cool: . Proper motorbikes big jobbies all electric, they don't make a sound as they fly through the traffic and some of the very expensive kit the riders whare is sooooo.. futuristic. Is it now time to go electric or should we wait a little longer. :unsure:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Depends on many things, depending on who you are. Cost being just one.
ease of use for me is a factor,better for the planet (yes yes I know) less maintenance, vehicle repay value, comfort of drive, and of course the elephant in the room ......charging ability.

Motorbikes, thats another story, I like the look intially of the foward thinking, but Ill stick with my VTX for now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Got customers who have hybrid 4x4s never charge them, and the have silly low range. But means they can go to their London place of work/houses/theatres/shops, all free of extra charges. Not bothered about the electrical bit, apart from financial benefits.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Who wants to go to London then…..?!?o_Oo_O ;)
All these fossil fuel deterrents will be coming to a town/city near you AP there is no fighting it.:frowny: I see fuel at £2 a liter yesterday at what price will you think enough is enough.:hi:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Most people won’t do it until they are forced to, I’m talking about most working people who don’t live in big cities.

It’s a different mentality out in the countryside, in the power cut storm Arwen Nov/Dec last year we were without power for 8 days, the very few with electric cars couldn’t move them.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Depends on many things, depending in who you are. Cost being just one.
ease of use for me is a factor,better for the planet (yes yes I know) less maintenance, vehicle repay value, comfort of drive, and of course the elephant in the room ......charging ability.

Motorbikes, thats another story, I like the look intially of the foward thinking, but Ill stick with my VTX for now.
You sound like a convert in the making Tom.:think: Some of those motorbikes are looking irresistible.:cooler:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Whilst there are EV exemptions/discounts for LEZ and ULEZ I don’t think they apply to the Congestion charge.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
May be OK if you are in London. But for me,it’s too early. The technology is still very untried,very few charging points out in the sticks, poor range, and most of all…………why should I fork out a small fortune for a new electric car when the diesel rocket ship I’ve got suits me fine.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
If now you live outside London and have a house with a roof, maybe a outbuilding as well, you stick 8kwp of solar on, and a EV on the drive. That’s a sweat combo.

Reactions: BDM

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
If now you live outside London and have a house with a roof, maybe a outbuilding as well, you stick 8kwp of solar on, and a EV on the drive. That’s a sweat combo.
….and quite expensive too!

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
So full electric vehicles still pay the congestion charge?
No they dont CazPaul Quote: A question is often asked is whether or not there’s an electric vehicle congestion charge, and thankfully there’s not. All fully electric cars are completely exempt from the London Congestion Charge, as well as the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) charge.

This applies to everything from the affordable and popular Nissan Leaf to the luxury Porsche Taycan. This continues in October when low-emission petrol and diesel must start to pay. Given petrol and diesel company cars won’t be exempt from paying the charge, if you want to avoid the Congestion Charge, electric cars are the way to go.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Why not - they’re still causing congrstion
But they are clean without pollution. It is the quality of the air we breath that is the point in question. This is the reason for the ulez etc that now extends out to the ring road, it is there to extend the lives of those who live and work in big cities.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I spent the day in London yesterday, it is a fantastic place to spend a day in an EV. Special Parking for EVs, charging for EVs no congestion for EVs. It is like the old days. So is it time to go electric? Not just cars, motorbikes too :cool: . Proper motorbikes big jobbies all electric, they don't make a sound as they fly through the traffic and some of the very expensive kit the riders whare is sooooo.. futuristic. Is it now time to go electric or should we wait a little longer. :unsure:

Have you never heard of a 'loss-leader' do you really believe that once more people are committed to electric all these freebees will remain?🤔

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All the time EV's are 50%dearer than ICE car they don't make financial sense before you even mention the charging problem.
Government grant towards them has dropped to 2½k, no help with a charging point if you live in a detached house.
And doing less than 2000 miles a year in the car (our Motorhome is the high mileage vehicle) it makes no sense at all.

Makes more sense in Germany they get 30% grant towards an EV, brings them down to the same price as normal. car.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
But they are clean without pollution. It is the quality of the air we breath that is the point in question. This is the reason for the ulez etc that now extends out to the ring road, it is there to extend the lives of those who live and work in big cities.

Sorry, but how can the manufacture of new vehicles, the scrapping of old, AND the making electricity be COMPLETELY without pollution???

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Can someone please tell me what the TRUE cost of installing all this money saving equipment is ??
Thanks
Joe
If you have an EV along with a few solar panels or a cheap charging source then not very much j&s. A set of batteries equivalent to a large tank of fuel will supply a great deal of domestic electricity as an alternative to paying the grid supplier for it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back