Is it now time to go electric. (2 Viewers)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I remember a similar thread on here previously, I added a post suggesting the politicians will need to find a way to supplement give spending due to the huge reduction in tax from fuel ...looks like it's going to be pay per mile ..... Which doesn't really help with the suggested lower running costs of EV's.
Though of course if that cost was also levied on all vehicles AND fuel tax for ICE vehicles it makes for expensive future motoring for everyone.

My greatest concern with pay per mile is the things that may form part of the package, very Orwellian..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
As I previously postulated (Oooooh, Matron!) in another thread, private car ownership will become a thing of the past - autonomous vehicle will be ‘summoned’ as required by most people………… :unsure:

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
And the authorities will know what and where our every movement is,
George Orwell was so right !!
its like that now pretty much anyway. CCTV everywhere, each time you shop, use your bank card, call a taxi, get on a bus ,fill your car with fuel, anpr cameras, the list goes on. But I dont worry as I have nothing to hide. (as long as they dont tell SWMBO Im in the pub)

1656573045983.png

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
And the authorities will know what and where our every movement is,
George Orwell was so right !!
They already do if they care to look. ANPR, use of bank cards and mobile phones. Autonomous vehicles and road charging might make little difference.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
One of my customers has a large fleet of recovery vehicles. The amount of electric vehicles I see recovered by him is scary. Everything from exploding batteries to burnt-out wiring. Electric vehicles? No thanks.
if that was the case they would be banned off the ferries and the channel tunnel and multistorey car parks.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Likely be no more expensive than an engine replacement now.
Batteries come with 8 year warranties or 100,000 miles. Batteries are getting better and are likely to outlast the car. In the grand scheme of things this is right at the bottom of my list of concerns.
If you are in the habit of buying cars with duff engines and fitting replacements you have a valid point for you. I would suggest battery replacement cost will be a barrier for a lot of folks

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
They certainly would if the true facts were revealed.
it would be all over the media if EVs were exploding all over the place I have seen not one report of an EV battery exploding but have seen firsthand a few ICE cars on fire. and the AA/RAC would highlight it if there was a problem and also the fire service.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
it would be all over the media if EVs were exploding all over the place I have seen not one report of an EV battery exploding but have seen firsthand a few ICE cars on fire. and the AA/RAC would highlight it if there was a problem and also the fire service.
Not sure about other manufacturers but Tesla's have a reenforced containment area around the battery compartment which will keep any potential heat/fire from spreading to the passenger area of the car.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
So this recovery company is carrying electric cars for fun?

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
So this recovery company is carrying electric cars for fun?
Where does he store all these EVs with exploding batteries? i am not saying EVs don't break down just questioning your statement that EV batteries explode and there is somehow a coverup.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Government would suppress it if it were to harm their EV agenda (propaganda)😄😄😄😄

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Government would suppress it if it were to harm their EV agenda (propaganda)😄😄😄😄
How can they suppress it if you have 100 witnesses all holding camera phones? The media love a good anti-EV story and would be all over it.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Where does he store all these EVs with exploding batteries? i am not saying EVs don't break down just questioning your statement that EV batteries explode and there is somehow a coverup.
I'm not qualified enough to say its a cover-up. He recovers them to the customers chosen destination. I've seen these vehicles for myself and I'm not saying there are thousands.
We've always had cover-ups.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Some figures are available and the rate of fires in EVs has been higher than ICEs. There have been recalls of some brands to correct a problem so the figures will probably even up with time. Most car fires are still in ICE vehicles because there are many more of them on the road. No cover up as far as I can see, the figures for London were released when requested.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you are in the habit of buying cars with duff engines and fitting replacements you have a valid point for you. I would suggest battery replacement cost will be a barrier for a lot of folks
No I am not. and in the future I will not be in the habit of buying cars with duff batteries.

I don't get your point?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The figures are available and the rate of fires in EVs has been higher than ICEs.
The stats I have seen show exactly the opposite.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Some figures are available and the rate of fires in EVs has been higher than ICEs. There have been recalls of some brands to correct a problem so the figures will probably even up with time. Most car fires are still in ICE vehicles because there are many more of them on the road. No cover up as far as I can see, the figures for London were released when requested.
Please quote your source.🙂

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Not according to JB Straubel and his new Redwood set up. Of course he is still growing but says the actual system is profitable, and says there are a whole host of reasosn batteries from evs get passed on. Not least of all sometimes the "connectors" between the cells suffer damage,(just one sometimes) which is an easy turn round and fix. Its not all about reclaiming and selling all the raw materials.

As we stand, there is more lithium around the world in appliances at the moment than anywhere else, phones, laptops, etc etc stuck away in peoples drawers and lofts. The big business/challenge is getting the required out of all these items, like we have been doing with lead acid batteries for years.

This will also lessen the need to harvest the earth for precious metals in future, with 5 year old kids as we keep hearing. (debateable but jesus what will they do for work then ???)
Cars are easy.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Please quote your source.🙂
It was London Fire Brigade figures for 2019 given in this fleet news report.
Newer figures may well have improved. I don’t find them alarming and they are not putting me off EVs.

Feb 24, 2018
Humberside
Funster No
MH
Geist Phantom
Exp
MoHo since March 2018.
Not according to JB Straubel and his new Redwood set up. Of course he is still growing but says the actual system is profitable, and says there are a whole host of reasosn batteries from evs get passed on. Not least of all sometimes the "connectors" between the cells suffer damage,(just one sometimes) which is an easy turn round and fix. Its not all about reclaiming and selling all the raw materials.

As we stand, there is more lithium around the world in appliances at the moment than anywhere else, phones, laptops, etc etc stuck away in peoples drawers and lofts. The big business/challenge is getting the required out of all these items, like we have been doing with lead acid batteries for years.

This will also lessen the need to harvest the earth for precious metals in future, with 5 year old kids as we keep hearing. (debateable but jesus what will they do for work then ???)
Cars are easy.

Yes you can buy second hand battery’s, watched the guy who converted his old VW to electric drive, wasn’t cheap though. If you had bought a Nissan Leaf early on how much would new battery’s cost now?

Edit to add link: https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/nissan-leaf-battery-replacement

New car users shouldn’t have to worry but I am not convinced they are good buys a few years on. While it may make someone a lot of money reclaiming materials by the time they get to the new user/customer things seem to be a bit cheaper than new but expensive. Nothing seems to come down except the relative worth of the pound in your pocket 👍

I just don’t think the current ev’s are the long term future, fuel cells that are relatively cheap and quickly replaceable may be better, something like aluminium/air was it that Brit developed? My personal favourite as I said earlier is Hydrogen but there may be something completely different around the corner.

I have nothing against ev’s, I was going to get one but just wasn’t right for my circumstances at present so certainly not anti ev. Just my opinions 😁👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back