Flo gas bottles for sale (empty!)

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jaygee, Jun 26, 2014.

1. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Got 2 empty Flo gas bottles for sale £10 each if anyone interested . Can take them to wrenbury.

2. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Shouldn't you return them to Flogas, after all they do own them don't they?

D.

• Like Like x 3
  3. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Why? How much are they offering? ;-)

You are right of course but in practice the tanks have a value to anyone needing empties to fill and the refunds on your purchase from Calor/Flo Gas etc are either paltry or non-existent.

Tim

4. rangitira

rangitira Funster

South West Gas, (Calor Gas) opposite the Cornish Market World (Par Market) does not charge you for bottles :thumb:

5. dave newell lvs

So if I rented your motorhome off you and then sold it you'd not be upset? Differnet value but same issue surely?

D.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry

Terry Funster

Not 100% sure but Flo gas don't charge for bottles only gas :Smile: or at least I have never had to pay for them unlike Calor who charge about 30 quid- ish :BigGrin: plus the gas on your first bottle -never met anyone who got the 30 quid back yet :Wink::Smile:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  7. chaser

chaser Funster

Flo gas don't charge for bottles, and don't allow you anything back on them, don't know how it works but got loads here

8. chaser

chaser Funster

Can't get shut of them , scrap men won't have them

9. Terry

Terry Funster

Ring Flo gas up and they will arrange collection:thumb:
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

first time I have herd of someone trying to sell flow gas bottles:Eeek:
    when you can get them for nothing from them :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I am not suggesting anyone does this, but have seen a few chimnea type log burners made using empty gas cylinders. they remove the valve, cut a hole in the top for a chimney and one in the side for a door. a clever use of cylinders beyond their working life and gives them another use before they become scrap metal

now just waiting for some plonker to ask where to cut their empty calor cylinder with an angle grinder:Eeek:

12. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

I don't think that's a very fair analogy. I must admit that I didn't know that Flo Gas don't charge for their cylinders which does change the picture.

I dislike the way that Calor charge an inflated "deposit" that quickly becomes valueless. If they gave back a full deposit then I'd be only too happy to return a cylinder to them.

Tim

13. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

and when they get it wrong BOOOOOOOOM
    But best way I have fund is leve valve open turn up side down leve in nice sunny spot for two weeks
    after fill with water cut hole with hole maker

• Like Like x 3
  14. dave newell lvs

I think it is a perfectly fair analogy, where Calor is concerned you pay a "deposit" or rental fee when you first take out a cylinder contract with them. If you then sell the empty cylinder you are stealing it from Calor and selling their property. Theft is just that regardless of your reasons, saying you don't like Calor's terms doesn't alter the fact it is theft!

If you hire a tool from an equipment hire company for a day or two does that give you the right to sell that tool when you've finished with it? NO IT DOESN'T, you return it to the hire shop.

As has been pointed out Flogas don't charge a deposit or rental fee on their cylinders which makes it even plainer and simpler that when empty they should be returned to a Flogas agent.

It might also be worth considering that offering hire cylinders for sale on this forum puts the forum owner in a tricky position, by allowing the wdvert to remain in place he becomes implicated in the fraudulent sale of stolen property, how does that make you feel?

D.

15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

while technically correct Dave, trading gas bottles has been common practice for as long as I can remember..

in over 40 years of camping/caravanning/motorhoming , I have never hired one from Calor .. I've found them, bought them at boot sales, inherited them.. but never ever signed a contract..

I have a selection behind the shed.. not saying it's right or wrong.. just how it is and I'm sure Calor and every other gas supplier know that it happens.. but at the end of the day, unless it is cut up or scrapped, it is still making money for the rightful owner when it is refilled.. can't see the issue..

A large refundable deposit that could be claimed by anyone would only make them more desirable for the thief.. as it is, you can hardly give them away.. they rarely get stolen..

over 400 gas bottles 'for sale' on ebay .. they don't allow the sale of stolen goods.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xcalor+bottle&_nkw=calor+bottle&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  16. Terry

Terry Funster

True but a little harsh Dave :Wink:
    terry

17. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Sorry Dave, I still don't agree that your tool hire analogy is similar.

For tool hire you'll pay a time based charge and one way or another, there will be some sort of mechanism (either a large deposit or credit card details) to recover the cost in the event of non-return.

For Calor cylinders there is no time based fee but there is a deposit that rapidly diminishes in value. Your comments have prompted me to go back and check the Ts&Cs though and interestingly I see that the deposit no longer drops to zero so it looks like you do get something back on your cylinders at least now. :thumb: I'm sure it used to drop to zero after 5 years. I rather think that this probably happened when they unilaterally changed their agreement with me to prevent me swapping between all cylinder sizes.

As it happens I wouldn't sell an unwanted cylinder but would happily give one away to save someone else paying the full deposit. This too would of course be against the Ts&Cs. Would you object to this?

Tim

18. dave newell lvs

Hi Tim, that is all totally beside my point which is the cylinders do not BELONG to you so they are not yours to sell (I'm not meaning "You" personally here, rather using the word in its wider context).

It is not so much that I personally object to it, more that it is simply illegal to sell, or even give away, material or equipment that simply does not belong to "you". If I lend you a screwdriver and you give it away to someone else how would you expect me to feel?

Selling or giving away material or equipment that is the property of someone else, whether they be a private individual or a multi national company is theft, simple as that!

D.

19. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

You raise an interesting, valid and correct point David.. Not sure even the bottle suppliers would be too worried as they are after all, the ones gaining gas sales in the long term.

20. jaygee

jaygee Funster