Flo gas bottles for sale (empty!) (1 Viewer)

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Flo gas don't charge for bottles, and don't allow you anything back on them, don't know how it works but got loads here

I agree, Flo gas do not charge for the bottles...YET, however, if everyone just stashes the empty bottles and fail to return the empties when purchasing the refil then it won't take long before this changes. Then everyone can moan at the extortionate bottle deposit required by all the suppliers.
I'm not having a go at chaser here, I too have been guilty in the past of holding on to a bottle that was not quite empty, but unsure if it would last the weekend went along and purchased another refill from Flo gas. At one point I ended up with 4x bottles. If everyone using flo gas did that and then went on to get shut of the empties via the scrap man then there would come a time when there would be a bottle shortage and difficulty obtaining a refill.
Simple solution is for everyone to return their empties when going for a refill, instead of leaving them behind sheds/garages because there's no recompense for their return.
Just one more point, the scrap men will not take bottles because they belong to the supplier stamped / painted on the side, if caught with them in their scrap metal haul its Theft/ Handling. If the scrap metal yard is found to have taken them in as scrap, they too are guilty of handling /receiving stolen goods unless they can prove the bottles were scrapped by an authorised agency on behalf of the owner, 'Calor', 'Flo gas' etc. This is the same principle for beer kegs.:thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I agree, Flo gas do not charge for the bottles...YET, however, if everyone just stashes the empty bottles and fail to return the empties when purchasing the refil then it won't take long before this changes. Then everyone can moan at the extortionate bottle deposit required by all the suppliers.
I'm not having a go at chaser here, I too have been guilty in the past of holding on to a bottle that was not quite empty, but unsure if it would last the weekend went along and purchased another refill from Flo gas. At one point I ended up with 4x bottles. If everyone using flo gas did that and then went on to get shut of the empties via the scrap man then there would come a time when there would be a bottle shortage and difficulty obtaining a refill.
Simple solution is for everyone to return their empties when going for a refill, instead of leaving them behind sheds/garages because there's no recompense for their return.
Just one more point, the scrap men will not take bottles because they belong to the supplier stamped / painted on the side, if caught with them in their scrap metal haul its Theft/ Handling. If the scrap metal yard is found to have taken them in as scrap, they too are guilty of handling /receiving stolen goods unless they can prove the bottles were scrapped by an authorised agency on behalf of the owner, 'Calor', 'Flo gas' etc. This is the same principle for beer kegs.:thumb:

Why don't they put a returnable tenner or something on them, no incentive now, just think while your out, oh ,could do with a bottle of gas and you just get one, can't be bothered to fetch the old or half empty one and end up with them lieing about

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Why don't they put a returnable tenner or something on them, no incentive now, just think while your out, oh ,could do with a bottle of gas and you just get one, can't be bothered to fetch the old or half empty one and end up with them lieing about

I agree with you, as I've said, I have done it myself. I had to return them in the end though as I was sick of falling over them, they were always in the way. I also agree, just a minimal amount, say £5 would encourage their return and even the pick up and return of abandoned empties in hedge rows, thereby cleaning up the countryside, after all, you don't see many Valor bottles abandoned, unlike other non deposit bottles.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm going to stick my neck out and disagree with you on this as well Tim:winky:.

I'll forgive you. :roflmto:

Being steel the cylinder will oxidise quite quickly when subjected to the direct heat of fire inside it, cast iron doesn't oxidise anywhere near as quickly which is why fire bars for steam engines are made from cast iron. I used to be part of a small group who ran pre victorian steam engines, our first engine was the Trevithick "Coalbrookdale" engine which had gas cut steel firebars to start with, they didn't survive a full season of running so were replaced with cast iron bars which lasted for several seasons.

D.

I bow to your experience but I would have thought that the thickness of steel used in these tanks would fare better than the rather nasty looking cast iron ones that I see in many garden centres. Also, I doubt a chimera/log burner will run as hot as the fire bars in a steam engine. I can well believe that burning coals sitting on bars with air passing though would burn through steel in short order. Burning logs on a flat base is surely rather different?

Tim

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'll forgive you. :roflmto:

I bow to your experience but I would have thought that the thickness of steel used in these tanks would fare better than the rather nasty looking cast iron ones that I see in many garden centres. Also, I doubt a chimera/log burner will run as hot as the fire bars in a steam engine. I can well believe that burning coals sitting on bars with air passing though would burn through steel in short order. Burning logs on a flat base is surely rather different?

Tim

You may well have a point there Tim, the firebox of a steam engine can easily reach 1300 deg C when going full chat while a chiminea with limited airflow may reach 800-900 deg C, just below the temperature at which steel starts to burn in oxygen rich environment. I must confess an oil drum BBQ I made for the local pub early last year is still going strong with little sign of burning through.

D.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We've got one!

It was made by a friend of Barrie's from an empty gas bottle.

Attachments

• chestnuts roasting.jpg
    chestnuts roasting.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 19
  • barrie roasting his nuts.jpg
    barrie roasting his nuts.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
OK- After all the banter i still have 2 cylinders which i thought may be of some use to someone, we don't seem to have a flo gas supplier in our area that is why i changed them on the van, so that is why i have the 2 cylinders
I don't know if there is a surcharge or rental cost or any other cost on these or who is the legal owner!, all i know is that i have no use for them, my local gas dealers will not take them so i thought they would be of use for someone on here.
If interested please pm me
Thanks
Tony

Avalonadam

Free Member
Aug 5, 2021
Frome, UK
Funster No
MH
Thinking seriously b
Exp
Looking
So if I rented your motorhome off you and then sold it you'd not be upset? Differnet value but same issue surely?

D.
It's nothing like it, for a start when you pay the deposit on a gas bottle it's yours for the rest of your life you may well give it away to somebody and the value is only realised when it comes back. If you keep the gas bottle for eternity then they will not get their money back so it doesn't work like a rental vehicle

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I think it is a perfectly fair analogy, where Calor is concerned you pay a "deposit" or rental fee when you first take out a cylinder contract with them. If you then sell the empty cylinder you are stealing it from Calor and selling their property. Theft is just that regardless of your reasons, saying you don't like Calor's terms doesn't alter the fact it is theft!

If you hire a tool from an equipment hire company for a day or two does that give you the right to sell that tool when you've finished with it? NO IT DOESN'T, you return it to the hire shop.

As has been pointed out Flogas don't charge a deposit or rental fee on their cylinders which makes it even plainer and simpler that when empty they should be returned to a Flogas agent.

It might also be worth considering that offering hire cylinders for sale on this forum puts the forum owner in a tricky position, by allowing the wdvert to remain in place he becomes implicated in the fraudulent sale of stolen property, how does that make you feel?

D.
Thus ends the sermon for today 🤣🤣 BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I bought Flo Gas at least 15 years ago so there must be thousands of unreturned bottles and they still have not changed their policy.BUSBY.

Avalonadam

Free Member
Aug 5, 2021
Frome, UK
Funster No
MH
Thinking seriously b
Exp
Looking
According to this page Flogas to charge £38.50 deposit for a bottle. So whether you keep the bottle or tell it on to somebody else when you have no use for it and somebody else takes it on on the situation is still the same for Flogas, they have a bottle out in the public with somebody who will be buying gas off them for which they will be making a profit.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I bought Flo Gas at least 15 years ago so there must be thousands of unreturned bottles and they still have not changed their policy.BUSBY.
We have 3 full flo gas bottles from before the first covid outbreak as not been anywhere.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back