Flo gas bottles for sale (empty!) (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Shouldn't you return them to Flogas, after all they do own them don't they?

D.

Why? How much are they offering? ;-)

You are right of course but in practice the tanks have a value to anyone needing empties to fill and the refunds on your purchase from Calor/Flo Gas etc are either paltry or non-existent.

Tim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
South West Gas, (Calor Gas) opposite the Cornish Market World (Par Market) does not charge you for bottles :thumb:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Why? How much are they offering? ;-)

You are right of course but in practice the tanks have a value to anyone needing empties to fill and the refunds on your purchase from Calor/Flo Gas etc are either paltry or non-existent.

Tim

So if I rented your motorhome off you and then sold it you'd not be upset? Differnet value but same issue surely?

D.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Not 100% sure but Flo gas don't charge for bottles only gas :Smile: or at least I have never had to pay for them unlike Calor who charge about 30 quid- ish ::bigsmile: plus the gas on your first bottle -never met anyone who got the 30 quid back yet :winky::Smile:
terry

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Flo gas don't charge for bottles, and don't allow you anything back on them, don't know how it works but got loads here

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
first time I have herd of someone trying to sell flow gas bottles:Eeek:
when you can get them for nothing from them :ROFLMAO:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am not suggesting anyone does this, but have seen a few chimnea type log burners made using empty gas cylinders. they remove the valve, cut a hole in the top for a chimney and one in the side for a door. a clever use of cylinders beyond their working life and gives them another use before they become scrap metal

now just waiting for some plonker to ask where to cut their empty calor cylinder with an angle grinder:Eeek:

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
So if I rented your motorhome off you and then sold it you'd not be upset? Differnet value but same issue surely?

D.

I don't think that's a very fair analogy. I must admit that I didn't know that Flo Gas don't charge for their cylinders which does change the picture.

I dislike the way that Calor charge an inflated "deposit" that quickly becomes valueless. If they gave back a full deposit then I'd be only too happy to return a cylinder to them.

Tim

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I am not suggesting anyone does this, but have seen a few chimnea type log burners made using empty gas cylinders. they remove the valve, cut a hole in the top for a chimney and one in the side for a door. a clever use of cylinders beyond their working life and gives them another use before they become scrap metal

now just waiting for some plonker to ask where to cut their empty calor cylinder with an angle grinder:Eeek:
and when they get it wrong BOOOOOOOOM
But best way I have fund is leve valve open turn up side down leve in nice sunny spot for two weeks
after fill with water cut hole with hole maker

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I don't think that's a very fair analogy. I must admit that I didn't know that Flo Gas don't charge for their cylinders which does change the picture.

I dislike the way that Calor charge an inflated "deposit" that quickly becomes valueless. If they gave back a full deposit then I'd be only too happy to return a cylinder to them.

Tim

I think it is a perfectly fair analogy, where Calor is concerned you pay a "deposit" or rental fee when you first take out a cylinder contract with them. If you then sell the empty cylinder you are stealing it from Calor and selling their property. Theft is just that regardless of your reasons, saying you don't like Calor's terms doesn't alter the fact it is theft!

If you hire a tool from an equipment hire company for a day or two does that give you the right to sell that tool when you've finished with it? NO IT DOESN'T, you return it to the hire shop.

As has been pointed out Flogas don't charge a deposit or rental fee on their cylinders which makes it even plainer and simpler that when empty they should be returned to a Flogas agent.

It might also be worth considering that offering hire cylinders for sale on this forum puts the forum owner in a tricky position, by allowing the wdvert to remain in place he becomes implicated in the fraudulent sale of stolen property, how does that make you feel?

D.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It might also be worth considering that offering hire cylinders for sale on this forum puts the forum owner in a tricky position, by allowing the wdvert to remain in place he becomes implicated in the fraudulent sale of stolen property, how does that make you feel?

D.

while technically correct Dave, trading gas bottles has been common practice for as long as I can remember..

in over 40 years of camping/caravanning/motorhoming , I have never hired one from Calor .. I've found them, bought them at boot sales, inherited them.. but never ever signed a contract..

I have a selection behind the shed.. not saying it's right or wrong.. just how it is and I'm sure Calor and every other gas supplier know that it happens.. but at the end of the day, unless it is cut up or scrapped, it is still making money for the rightful owner when it is refilled.. can't see the issue..

A large refundable deposit that could be claimed by anyone would only make them more desirable for the thief.. as it is, you can hardly give them away.. they rarely get stolen..

over 400 gas bottles 'for sale' on ebay .. they don't allow the sale of stolen goods.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3984.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xcalor+bottle&_nkw=calor+bottle&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

D.

True but a little harsh Dave :winky:
terry

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I think it is a perfectly fair analogy, where Calor is concerned you pay a "deposit" or rental fee when you first take out a cylinder contract with them. If you then sell the empty cylinder you are stealing it from Calor and selling their property. Theft is just that regardless of your reasons, saying you don't like Calor's terms doesn't alter the fact it is theft!

If you hire a tool from an equipment hire company for a day or two does that give you the right to sell that tool when you've finished with it? NO IT DOESN'T, you return it to the hire shop.

As has been pointed out Flogas don't charge a deposit or rental fee on their cylinders which makes it even plainer and simpler that when empty they should be returned to a Flogas agent.

D.

Sorry Dave, I still don't agree that your tool hire analogy is similar.

For tool hire you'll pay a time based charge and one way or another, there will be some sort of mechanism (either a large deposit or credit card details) to recover the cost in the event of non-return.

For Calor cylinders there is no time based fee but there is a deposit that rapidly diminishes in value. Your comments have prompted me to go back and check the Ts&Cs though and interestingly I see that the deposit no longer drops to zero so it looks like you do get something back on your cylinders at least now. :thumb: I'm sure it used to drop to zero after 5 years. I rather think that this probably happened when they unilaterally changed their agreement with me to prevent me swapping between all cylinder sizes.

As it happens I wouldn't sell an unwanted cylinder but would happily give one away to save someone else paying the full deposit. This too would of course be against the Ts&Cs. Would you object to this?

Tim

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Sorry Dave, I still don't agree that your tool hire analogy is similar.

For tool hire you'll pay a time based charge and one way or another, there will be some sort of mechanism (either a large deposit or credit card details) to recover the cost in the event of non-return.

For Calor cylinders there is no time based fee but there is a deposit that rapidly diminishes in value. Your comments have prompted me to go back and check the Ts&Cs though and interestingly I see that the deposit no longer drops to zero so it looks like you do get something back on your cylinders at least now. :thumb: I'm sure it used to drop to zero after 5 years. I rather think that this probably happened when they unilaterally changed their agreement with me to prevent me swapping between all cylinder sizes.

As it happens I wouldn't sell an unwanted cylinder but would happily give one away to save someone else paying the full deposit. This too would of course be against the Ts&Cs. Would you object to this?

Tim

Hi Tim, that is all totally beside my point which is the cylinders do not BELONG to you so they are not yours to sell (I'm not meaning "You" personally here, rather using the word in its wider context).

It is not so much that I personally object to it, more that it is simply illegal to sell, or even give away, material or equipment that simply does not belong to "you". If I lend you a screwdriver and you give it away to someone else how would you expect me to feel?

Selling or giving away material or equipment that is the property of someone else, whether they be a private individual or a multi national company is theft, simple as that!

D.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You raise an interesting, valid and correct point David.. Not sure even the bottle suppliers would be too worried as they are after all, the ones gaining gas sales in the long term.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
They all look better like this

Broken Link Removed

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Tim, that is all totally beside my point which is the cylinders do not BELONG to you so they are not yours to sell (I'm not meaning "You" personally here, rather using the word in its wider context).

It is not so much that I personally object to it, more that it is simply illegal to sell, or even give away, material or equipment that simply does not belong to "you". If I lend you a screwdriver and you give it away to someone else how would you expect me to feel?

Selling or giving away material or equipment that is the property of someone else, whether they be a private individual or a multi national company is theft, simple as that!

D.

You're quite right that the cylinder doesn't belong to me. However, if someone sells or gives away the cylinder, it will still be exclusively refilled by Calor so they're not being deprived of the use of it or ownership, just the chance to force a new user into paying a new cylinder deposit. Calor still have full use (and legal ownership) of their "screwdriver" so it's not like me selling or giving away your screwdriver.

If you hired a small mower and were expected to put down a £160 deposit but found that when you took it back you only got £40 back you would I think feel with some justification that you now "owned" the mower, particularly if the mower new cost £120.

Now I don't know what a mass produced cylinder costs but I don't imagine it's a lot of money. I would concede that this too isn't a great analogy because cylinder are not rented from Calor.

Effectively, if you "sell" a cylinder you're not selling the metal & valves etc., they remain the property of Calor. What you're selling is your right to a refund on your deposit.

That doesn't strike me as being that evil or immoral.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Flo Gas don't charge to use their bottles and are only to please to have them returned.........anyone wants to buy some used matches? :ROFLMAO:

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
They all look better like this

Broken Link Removed

That's actually rather good. I could imagine that lasting a lot better that ceramic or cheap cast iron ones.

Tim

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
You're quite right that the cylinder doesn't belong to me. However, if someone sells or gives away the cylinder, it will still be exclusively refilled by Calor so they're not being deprived of the use of it or ownership, just the chance to force a new user into paying a new cylinder deposit. Calor still have full use (and legal ownership) of their "screwdriver" so it's not like me selling or giving away your screwdriver.

If you hired a small mower and were expected to put down a £160 deposit but found that when you took it back you only got £40 back you would I think feel with some justification that you now "owned" the mower, particularly if the mower new cost £120.

Now I don't know what a mass produced cylinder costs but I don't imagine it's a lot of money. I would concede that this too isn't a great analogy because cylinder are not rented from Calor.

Effectively, if you "sell" a cylinder you're not selling the metal & valves etc., they remain the property of Calor. What you're selling is your right to a refund on your deposit.

That doesn't strike me as being that evil or immoral.

Who mentioned "evil or immoral"? Not me, I was simply trying to point out that selling or "giving away" a rental cylinder is not a legal thing to do. Yes Calor may well still get to refill the cylinder and charge for the gas (unless of course the new "owner" chooses to use a dodgy adapter for self refilling in which case Calor have not only been deprived of their property and their "rental fee/deposit" but also the chance to sell gas to the new "owner") but they are also being deprived of their "deposit/rental fee". Whatever you feel about this fee it is there in their T&Cs and selling or "giving away" a cylinder is not legal also that advertising illegal transactions on a website leaves the website owner potentially liable to prosecution for allowing it.

As for the lawn ower rental and deposit, it is up to the individual to choose whether or not to pay such a deposit at the onset of the hire contract, just like it is the individual's right to not take out a gas cylinder contract with Calor if they so wish, they can simply go to a different cylinder supplier or buy their own properly designed refillables.

D.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Flogas bottles for sale

Not Flogas but may be of interest Calor users.

Some time ago I used to be a rep for Camping Gaz and was very involved with Calor Gas. They used distribute Camping Gaz.

I lot of people don't understand or read the small print on the Calor "hire" agreement, when you sign the agreement you are "renting" the bottle from Calor even if you have paid a lot of money for it, if you took it back to them after a few years you would get a fraction of what you hired it for.

That's the legal side, very few take notice of this:ROFLMAO: and bottles are always bought and sold between:Angry: interested parties.

colyboy

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
That's actually rather good. I could imagine that lasting a lot better that ceramic or cheap cast iron ones.

Tim

I'm going to stick my neck out and disagree with you on this as well Tim:winky:. Being steel the cylinder will oxidise quite quickly when subjected to the direct heat of fire inside it, cast iron doesn't oxidise anywhere near as quickly which is why fire bars for steam engines are made from cast iron. I used to be part of a small group who ran pre victorian steam engines, our first engine was the Trevithick "Coalbrookdale" engine which had gas cut steel firebars to start with, they didn't survive a full season of running so were replaced with cast iron bars which lasted for several seasons.

D.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I'm going to stick my neck out and disagree with you on this as well Tim:winky:. Being steel the cylinder will oxidise quite quickly when subjected to the direct heat of fire inside it, cast iron doesn't oxidise anywhere near as quickly which is why fire bars for steam engines are made from cast iron. I used to be part of a small group who ran pre victorian steam engines, our first engine was the Trevithick "Coalbrookdale" engine which had gas cut steel firebars to start with, they didn't survive a full season of running so were replaced with cast iron bars which lasted for several seasons.

D.

The gas bottle chemnea in my back garden is now around 4 years old and shows no signs of fatigue. Get the draught right and the whole thing glows red.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
The gas bottle chemnea in my back garden is now around 4 years old and shows no signs of fatigue. Get the draught right and the whole thing glows red.

And my cast iron chimenea in my back garden is now 6 years old! What does that prove?

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back