Fiat Ducato Extra Locking & Security Devices (1 Viewer)

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
I agree with your summary in general, albeit that I never referred to the cab doors (not that strengthening them circumvents the vulnerability of the windows) but although the transit is probably loaded in insurance terms, the whole issue of M/H security is generally put under the spotlight and everyone pays just that little bit more. It's called spread betting

It makes sense (at least to me) to find out what insurers recommend before spending out too much on what is on the market.

As I said, I'm very sorry for anyone who has suffered though this issue, but until someone can put this into a perspective with actual data, I'm not sure this warrants mass hysteria

At least three of the people (including myself) who have contributed to this thread have had their Ford motorhome stolen. Mine went earlier this year. It has increased my interest in M'home security. It took me a few minutes yesterday to fit a padlock to my seat base. Eddie Vanbitz has done things to the replacement and gave me a cup of chocolate. I will consider any suggestions people print on here. The only data that matters to me is the one about my vehicle. The insurance companies will do as they want and it may be they require extra security on Fords therefore a good discussion of what can be added to both make the vehicle more secure and satisfy the insurance companies can only be helpful.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
It's good to see the interest this has generated?! :unsure: There are always varying points of view - life would be dull if we all thought the same even though the banter on here is sometimes a bit full on! Hope this doesn't put those off who might have something to post about security devices...
We currently own a Ford Transit chassis coachbuilt & are looking into buying a Fiat chassis PVC but would happily buy a Transit again if the convertor gave that option. We don't pay a higher insurance premium for having a Transit as all vans including the Fiat Ducato have the same security issues hence why we will be adding these to the Ducato & looking for the equivalent or better than we have on the Transit.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
As always its a decision for each owner as to the risk one is prepared to take.

Personally I take the view that the more security I have the less likely my van will be the one chosen to steal if its parked up with others at a site or an aire etc.

I bought second hand and it came with a Thatcham Sigma alarm but nothing else.

I have personally added with my own labour an extra hab door dead lock, cab door proplates, heosafe cab dead locks, window alarms, a safe, personal attack alarms fitted to the roof lights, locking wheel nuts to protect the alloy wheels and a catalytic converter catloc on the advice of my garage.

I think the Thatcham alarm was the only thing of interest to the insurers in terms of premium reduction but my fittings and their cost give me greater peace of mind than without. The price and the aggravation and inconvenience of theft, especially if on holiday made me feel it was all justified.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I hear the points made, and I'm not sure there is much more that can be done in terms of security than hasn't already been mentioned here.

Believe me, I am not against any additional (sensible) security measures, I merely reacted to (if I am blunt) the plain idiocy of gumming up the OBD port and trashing the van as part of that process. I also think some traders in some of the more exotic security measures (not talking any alarms mentioned here) tend to stir up a bit of a frenzy in a bid to shift their products. Eddie has a terrific reputation (and no, I have a customised Sigma, but I wished I'd gone to him instead). The seat lock idea is brilliant, The additional door locks are great, provided that you can get out quickly in the event of fire and many of the other measures are useful, if not perhaps a bit extreme. Perhaps I have been lucky, but I have never had a wheel nicked in my life, neither have I lost a catalyst or suffered a vehicle break in save the theft of a cassette unit 25 years ago, but I never take security for granted

And I am desperately sorry that some of you guys have suffered so many problems. Rather unimpressed at Ford, if I am honest, and shame on them for not reacting to this in a level headed and responsible manner. Kind of takes all the joy out of something to have all that worry

Last edited:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I had a set of alloy wheels nicked off a ford Capri Ghia in a Reading town centre car park back in the 1980's at about 8:30pm and always fitted locking wheel nuts since. They just left it partly on bricks and partly on it's hubs. It's just a huge inconvenience and you lose your excess on your insurance for the sake of buying some locking wheel Nuts!

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
pyro,
Don't forget security can be a lot about gadgets; lots of us like searching for good gadgets. So, turning a bad situation into a slightly more positive one I am on a gadget hunt. Don't let the bar stewards grind you down and all that!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

elfish

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
london
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Over the years i've always gone for armaplates on each locks (saved a fortune on bodywork when i had my mercedes sprinter & had them fitted to my adria twin (fiat ducato). Also have those bolt locks on all the doors (the kind that builders vans have). This is in addition to alarm immobiliser.

I've had no problems (although, when in carpark, car next to me's window got broken into).

I've a set of lovk m out locks for all the windows. Not used them yet - but i know i'll use them religiously when i get my new van.

The security/alarms requested by the insurance companies are, to me, just that - to satisfy the knsurance companies. I've always added more.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back