Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Techno help please, I have disconnected egr on 2.5 Renault after continuous limp mode, now runs as normal. Anyone in Leeds area do re mapping or is their any other way of fooling ecu

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Techno help please, I have disconnected egr on 2.5 Renault after continuous limp mode, now runs as normal. Anyone in Leeds area do re mapping or is their any other way of fooling ecu
I've had my ecu remapped to delete the egr function... its still in place but permanently shut and disconnected...
That's on a transit mk7...
Have a Google for van tuner... speak to Martin. .
Andy.
P's. . Don't think there is another way with electronically actuated egr valves if you want it blanked..

Cooking by gas

Free Member
Dec 8, 2016
Aberdeen, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747
Exp
Newbies, since November 2016
Hello,
I'm pretty new here but just wanted to say that I have just fitted the EGR blanking plate and TAFMET cheat box - seems to work perfectly. A rather fiddly job though to to my hands being too big!
I was sent down this route by needing to replace the throttle body and found both it and the inlet manifold really crapped up, so to make the throttle valve last longer and to stop my engine breathing in it's own dirty waste products, I went ahead and fitted the blanking kit.
No discernible change except much less smoke on cold start-up - I'm looking forward to increased reliability but I don't really expect anything else from the mod.
Mine is a 3.0 Iveco engine in a Fiat Burstner 747 (2007). Thankfully I don't have a DPF to worry about.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Just finished reading this whole thread , and wow...
Anyway I've now decided to add the task of blanking off the erg valve.
Ours is a 2007 Fiat 2.3 Ltr 130 Multi jet which has about 15k on the clock.
Once I install the blank of plate do I need to do anything else ? Like with the ecu ?
This is the correct part isn't it?

Also can anyone rec a cheap decent reader to read / reset any engine codes

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Just finished reading this whole thread , and wow...
Anyway I've now decided to add the task of blanking off the erg valve.
Ours is a 2007 Fiat 2.3 Ltr 130 Multi jet which has about 15k on the clock.
Once I install the blank of plate do I need to do anything else ? Like with the ecu ?
This is the correct part isn't it?

Also can anyone rec a cheap decent reader to read / reset any engine codes
Someone who has your van will be more help but as a guide...if you have an electronically activated egr valve as opposed to a mechanical then you may have issues if you just blank it off... they have feedback to the ecu and that can generate fault codes...
There has been talk that a small hole in the blanking plate copes with this problem but that solution is lost on me...
If you've read the thread you will know I had the function removed from the ecu by way of a remap . (On a mk7 transit )
On the code reader front have a Google. .. I'd prefer one that had some fiat software on in your case rather than just an obd 11 reader..
I got one from gendan that had the ability to read ford fault codes as well as the generic obd codes and was able to read Brake (abs )and the restraint system like air bag and seat belt codes... an obd will only do the power train module...
Hope that helps..
Andy.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks Andy , I'm sure someone here that owns a 2.3 ltr 130hp multi jet is bound to of blanked of their erg valve.

Aug 11, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since October 2005
Fiat Ducati 2.3 multijet reg 2010. 29,000 miles.

Eleven months ago (October 2016), I suffered major engine failure due to the auxiliary belt shredding and wrapping itself around the timing belt.
The engine has been rebuilt and the van returned to the repairer some 100 miles from me three times now and I have finally lost all faith in this garage.
The engine appears to run fine and I have no fault codes. After 1200 miles touring around France I estimate that I have consumed 12 Ltr of coolant. White/grey smoke could be seen exiting the exhaust after idling at the Toll gates and on occasion under load, black smoke. There is no evidence of emulsified oil in the engine.
Reading all the above I have a feeling it may be my EGR cooler/valve that is causing the problem? What do you guys think? Taking the van back to the repairer is not an option.
Cheers adgy

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010

Eleven months ago (October 2016), I suffered major engine failure due to the auxiliary belt shredding and wrapping itself around the timing belt.
The engine has been rebuilt and the van returned to the repairer some 100 miles from me three times now and I have finally lost all faith in this garage.
The engine appears to run fine and I have no fault codes. After 1200 miles touring around France I estimate that I have consumed 12 Ltr of coolant. White/grey smoke could be seen exiting the exhaust after idling at the Toll gates and on occasion under load, black smoke. There is no evidence of emulsified oil in the engine.
Reading all the above I have a feeling it may be my EGR cooler/valve that is causing the problem? What do you guys think? Taking the van back to the repairer is not an option.
Cheers adgy

I am no expert but sounds like possibly a new head gasket required :(

Jan 4, 2017
beds
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
Last year in Spain my 3.0 Fiat went into limp home mode, but being in the trade I turned the engine on and off 5 times which clears the fault but only for about 10 miles then it cuts in again. I managed to do this all the way home to UK, it was a bit hairy sometimes overtaking trucks.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years

Cheers adgy
Almost definitely the coolant is getting into the engine. If the rebuild involved a head skim, I would be worried that the head is scrap.
It seems that you need to find a good mechanic to diagnose what is happening and then see about trying to reclaim any remedial costs from the place that has failed on three occasions to solve it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree, white smoke in the exhaust usally points towards a warped cylinder head or at the very least a blown head gasket. No point in replacing the gasket without checking the trueness of the head.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Just adding to what has been said really..
There may well be nothing wrong with your rebuild or head gasket...
It does sound like you may have an egr cooler leak.. if it's easy to get at and remove it should be possible to see the evidence if you can remove the valve and have a look when the engine is cool there may well be signs of damp on the sooty walls..
Andy.

Aug 11, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since October 2005
Thanks for the quick replies.
Looks like my fingernails are going to get a bit grubby over the next couple of weeks.
I'll keep you posted.

By the way Ive ordered the blanking plate, Should I fit it when I strip the unit down?

Cheers adgy

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016

Cheers adgy

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/diesel-engine-white-smoke-25ddb4978996a55a

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I had the same on my Vauxhall corsa van with Isuzu engine and it was a cracked cylinder head.

John.

Charlie Farley

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Powys
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I7150
Exp
Just found and read this thread from start to finish...great stuff!

I too would blank off the EGR but not sure if my van has one? its a 1999 2.8 Fiat Ducato idtd....any techies on here know if that engine has an egr?....
@Irishrover I’d say yes, but without seeing the vehicle I can’t say for sure. EGR systems for Diesel engined passenger vehicles, vans etc have been in production pre 1990’s. I had a 1991 2.0 diesel Montego estate fitted with the Prima Perkins Di engine, this had a vacuum egr system. Took me ten minutes to make and fit the banking plate. Sadly the body fell of the engine after 200k miles. I sold the engine & gearbox to a guy who fitted to a Maestro van. Excellent engine. Crap car producer.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
@Irishrover I’d say yes, but without seeing the vehicle I can’t say for sure. EGR systems for Diesel engined passenger vehicles, vans etc have been in production pre 1990’s. I had a 1991 2.0 diesel Montego estate fitted with the Prima Perkins Di engine, this had a vacuum egr system. Took me ten minutes to make and fit the banking plate. Sadly the body fell of the engine after 200k miles. I sold the engine & gearbox to a guy who fitted to a Maestro van. Excellent engine. Crap car producer.
Mine is a 2005 version that doesn't have one.

Aug 11, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since October 2005
Further to my earlier post in this thread:

Cheers adgy

I bit the bullet on this one and after contacting the garage they agreed to repair the fault as per their warranty agreement.
This was after I bought a cheap block test kit from ebay which clearly showed exhaust gases were entering the coolant system and providing them with the evidence. Bearing in mind the first time I took it back to them they 'fobbed me off' with its just an injector fault.................. you dont really want to leave it with us for two or three weeks when you can drive it back home and get it fixed locally. Second time I returned it and left it with them for three weeks they gave me it back saying they had replaced the EGR valve.

Anyway whilst driving the 100 mile from 'our house' over the tops, ( I dont want to name and shame the garage just yet!) to the garage the Engine Management Light came on and crawling up The M62 at Max 35 mph in limp mode was a tad embarrasing.

Mentioned the EMl to the garage and left the van again. Three weeks later, a couple of days ago, I returned to the garage to find out that the cylinder head was cracked and they had replaced it.
Two fault codes were pointed out to me............ P0403 (EGR circuit malfunction) & P0638 (Throttle actuator control range, perform blank1). I was informed both of which were not the responsibility of the garage and had not been rectified. Needless to say I had to limp the van back over the top.

As Ive learnt quite alot about diesel engines over the last year and being mechanically minded I have decided to find the fault(s) and rectify them myself ( I love YouTube when it comes to gaining more knowledge), any way I have attached a number of photos of the strip down so far. May help others!

By the way am I looking in the right direction to find the fault? The valve assy looks OK to me.

Cheers adgy

Attachments

• FRONT ON.jpg
    FRONT ON.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 100
  • THROTTLE VALVE ASSY.jpg
    THROTTLE VALVE ASSY.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 95
  • TVA ENGINE SIDE.jpg
    TVA ENGINE SIDE.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 95
  • TVA INLET.jpg
    TVA INLET.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 97
  • TVA OUTLET.jpg
    TVA OUTLET.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 94
  • TVA SIDE 2.jpg
    TVA SIDE 2.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 99
  • TVA SIDE.jpg
    TVA SIDE.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 92
  • TVA SPLIT.jpg
    TVA SPLIT.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 92
Aug 11, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since October 2005
Ever had that 'Eureka moment' and you you thought you were god's gift to diesel mechanics????????? Read on!

Today I managed to remove the EGR cooler and I have to bruises to prove it! (see below)
Hardest part was removing the bottom bolt on the EGR inlet manifold.

Now for that moment! Look carefully at the split in the EGR pipe just after the flange. BINGO I thought this is the problem, I have the cure!
I had initially bought a new EGR cooler assembly from Poland via ebay but unfortunately it dosn't fit, plan B fit the blanking plate.

Only problem now is the Engine Management Light (EML) is still illuminated with the same fault codes and the engine is still in limp mode Successfully deleted the codes using my OBD Check app but they return as soon as the ignition is the switched back on.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Bruise to prove it.jpg
    Bruise to prove it.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 103
  • EGR c&v OLD & NEW.jpg
    EGR c&v OLD & NEW.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 106
  • EGR C00ler and Valve.jpg
    EGR C00ler and Valve.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 106
  • EGR c&v split closer.jpg
    EGR c&v split closer.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 114
  • BLANKING Plate in position.jpg
    BLANKING Plate in position.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 122
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I have a 2007 Relay with 2.2 Tranny engine.Fitted recon motor and old manifold was completely blocked.Blanked EGR off first with plate with hole in then without hole.EML on both times. Got it re-programmed as had 2 new injectors -no light now. Van runs smoother /cleaner/more economical so still better for enviroment.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
ERG valve issues aren't that common in the Ducato Iveco engine. It's the throttle body that screws up that causes the reported ERG fault. Unlike other engines, the Fiat doesn't coke up that much... it has other weaknesses instead.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
i will need to get under the bonnet and have a shifty of where it is.
@Phill D did you ever fit an EGR blanking plate to your 2.3 130 multijet ducato ??
if so just wondered if you ever had any problem ? and if it was dead simple to fit ??

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

Long story, short, Saturday last the EMC came up on the Dash. Called out the RAC, the guy, took some readings :-

Diagnostic Codes

RAC DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM

System Type: ENGINE

Name: EOBD

DTC: P0638,Throttle actuator control (TAC) , bank 1 - range/performance problem

System Type: ENGINE SYSTEM TEST/VALUES

Name: F1AE0481D - BOSCH EDC16C39 CF4 EOBD - 2.3L - 88 (120)

F1AE0481N - BOSCH EDC16C39 CF4 EOBD - 2.3L - 96 (131)

F1AE3481C - BOSCH EDC16C39 CF4 EOBD - 2.3L

F1AE3481D - MARELLI 8F3 CF5/EOBD - 2.3L - 96 (131)

F1AE3481E - DIAGNOSE - 2.3L - 109 (148)

F1AE3481G - BOSCH EDC16C39 CF4 EOBD - 2.3L - 81 (110)

F1AE3481G - DIAGNOSE - 2.0L - 81 (110)

DTC: P0530,AC pressure sensor

DTC: P0638,Throttle control valve

DTC: P0401,EGR valve

Ignore A/C pressure sensor code, its probably just needing some gas.
However, Throttle control valve and EGR, codes are a bit of a worry.
Having read the thread (not all of it) It would appear that at the very least a Physical clean may be required. Before I go down the road of ripping lumps of Engine off, on the driveway in the cold. Has anyone ever achieved success with "Engine Cleaners" i.e. Wynns etc?. Even if it just gets me into the new year and milder weather.
The RAC guy, deleted the codes, and E-Mailed me the printout, The EMC light is back on again, so it looks like it is not a "one off".

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Ignore A/C pressure sensor code, its probably just needing some gas.
However, Throttle control valve and EGR, codes are a bit of a worry.
Having read the thread (not all of it) It would appear that at the very least a Physical clean may be required. Before I go down the road of ripping lumps of Engine off, on the driveway in the cold. Has anyone ever achieved success with "Engine Cleaners" i.e. Wynns etc?. Even if it just gets me into the new year and milder weather.
The RAC guy, deleted the codes, and E-Mailed me the printout, The EMC light is back on again, so it looks like it is not a "one off".

In my case (Ducato 2.3), the apparent EGR issues were caused by the failure of the throttle body. The EGR system was fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back