Bailey motorhomes. Buying British (6 Viewers)

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
I have been quite outspoken about class leading build quality associated with German motorhomes. But, now find myself considering a Brit built Bailey with Alu- tech body shell. I have read that problems other than water ingress have caused concerns. What do the Bailey owners think?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
This is where I sit.

I wanted to buy an A class for all sorts of reasons, many of which may not apply to others. I ended up with a Hymer. I was also lucky enough to have a reasonable budget (but not @Popeye sized). I looked at other makes (all European because I could not afford any A classes made in the UK) but at the end of the day the one we liked best happened to be a Hymer. Another day and another search and it may have ended up being a Pilote, Rapido, Carthago, Burstner, Laika or any other make of A class.

My own personal view is that the finish on my Hymer is as good and probably better than the British makes I have looked at. To me it looked more like the furniture I would want in my house. Personal choice, but there it is. In addition I think the bonded sandwich construction on European vans (or at least mine!) give a stronger product which is a lot less prone to rot. Again a personal opinion. And I was surprised to learn on this thread that the alutech system that Bailey uses is not really a true bonded system.

I am not knocking anybody on here who has a British van or suggesting their van is somehow "inferior" to mine. And I am also well aware that British vans are often better value for money on a side by side comparison with European ones.

A couple of weeks ago we happened to be in a local dealer to us that was a Bailey agent and we decided to look around some of them (as you do!). We were pleasantly surprised with a couple of them and if we had been looking for a C class we may well have added them to our list. But then they did not strike me as being particularly cheap when it came to price either.

So each to their own. There is no such think a "right" motorhome. There is only a "right" motorhome for YOU.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why oh why do you persist in this vein every time any person asked about British motorhomes . . Sorry @Jim I am out of here ..

Please don't go Khizzie
I'm not making excuses for @Lenny HB, he's big enough to make them for himself.
However having owned a brand new £40k + British motorhome myself, which leaked and had to have major repairs, and having read so many horror stories on Fun about similar British made vans, I can understand totally why some Funsters are totally 'Anti' British built vans.

I agree that any MH can leak or have other problems, but it just seems like some brands are more susceptible to it. Either due to poor quality build, inappropriate materials, or faulty design.

When I owned my British built van I spent a lot of time on their owners forum, and to be honest what I read was a real eye opener.

Edit; Just remembered that my brother in law's first MH was British and that developed damp too, so he had to get rid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why oh why do you persist in this vein every time any person asked about British motorhomes . . Sorry @Jim I am out of here ..
Why? I had a British caravan had to replace over half of the interior walls due to water ingress and poor build quality, just about got it usable and then the complete front end started coming away from the body. At the time I knew 3 other people who bought new British caravans all 3 of then had to go back factory with water inggress problems in the first year. Never had any problems like that with the German caravan I replaced mine with or subsequent German Motorhomes.
It is not an attack on people who buy British it just reflects my experiences and I do not like to see people waste their hard earned cash.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It's tragic really,we dive Germans,Use German Appliances and have a German motorhome oh how I wish they could all be British but unfortunately it can not be.

It's noticeable that the two largest British Motorhome Manufacturers started out manufacturing Caravans and appear to use the same methods!!

Upvote 0

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
One thing I've noticed on my travels around Europe and Scandinavia is that wherever you go, you often see foreign registered 'British' cars, but I've never seen a foreign registered 'British' motorhome.

Big issues prior to 2011, I think, because to register them you would need a Certificate of Conformity in the language where it was to be registered...Not something British manufacturers of MHs or Caravans were geared up for...It wasn't easy getting one in French from a German organisation like Hobby because Hobby France wanted you to buy in France not from Germany and put a block on them or charged a few hundred euros...

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've owned a few British vans, old and new, the last new one was a tag axle Autotrail Arapaho bought in 2006. I've never had a major problem with any of them. Looking back the years of motorhome ownership and asking myself about the most fun I've had in a motorhome and I'm always drawn back to a very old Autotrail Pullman, not a model of superb engineering but we went all round Europe in it a few times and it never put a foot wrong, after all its only camping.

I've owned German vans and a Couple of American vans, I've had problems with both, but nothing major. I once owned a motorhome that cost more than my house, but I don't think I've ever been a snob, (in fact at the time my house was a bit of a dump :) )

I think that I was once a camera snob, I owned a German Titanium Leica M6, with a couple of Titanium Lenses. German is best you know, no one can touch a Leica for quality, except maybe the Swedish Hasselblad and I had one of those too, how well endowed I was :) You could buy a nice motorhome for what the Hassleblad body cost on it's own.

If I recall I'd strut around with these like they were some sort of penis extension, but really, looking back at prints made from the negatives I really can't tell which camera was used, the Leica or the much cheaper Japanese cameras I subsequently owned. It's all academic, because I learned, it's not about the camera its all about the photo, even if they are a bit blurred or out of focus the joy is not diminished when you look back at them

A holiday is what you make of it, its about where you go, who you are with, and what you do. You can have fantastic holidays in a £200k German Bitchoff but you can have just as good or better in a 20 year old leaky Kontiki or come to that, in a tent.

Some love German vans, others don't; and I agree; having someone continually drone on that your choice is wrong is what we have the ignore function for. :)

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I'm on my 4th Van..
I have owned Italian, French, Brittish, and Slovenian. I have friends that have owned Hymers, N&Bs Cathargo and concordes.

Not one of them has been without an issue and some worse than others.

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
oh forgot to say, my brother in law has a new bailey and he has a major issue with it. Not sure what the issue is though I am afraid as it was my sister in law telling Nikki, so convoluted message but it appears to be more to do with the chasis body roll than the actual van.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I have to sort of say thank you, but the music OMG amazed I managed till the end without jumping out the window,.

I did wonder about mentioning the mute button but then thought it might be a bit patronising..........

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just watched a video no how Globecar/Possl vans are put together, interesting but don't know why they included the 3-4 mins of the 'couple' at the end ...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donnieban

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
Does anyone want to comment on the warranty aspect? Bailey offer a 6 year ingress warranty as standard with an option to extend to 10 years. That must involve product confidence. Their pricing is attractive and a good warranty is an obvious selling point.

Its a challenging process getting into motorhoming and I sometimes think easy breaks are the way to go...

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I've owned a few British vans, old and new, the last new one was a tag axle Autotrail Arapaho bought in 2006. I've never had a major problem with any of them. Looking back the years of motorhome ownership and asking myself about the most fun I've had in a motorhome and I'm always drawn back to a very old Autotrail Pullman, not a model of superb engineering but we went all round Europe in it a few times and it never put a foot wrong, after all its only camping.

I've owned German vans and a Couple of American vans, I've had problems with both, but nothing major. I once owned a motorhome that cost more than my house, but I don't think I've ever been a snob, (in fact at the time my house was a bit of a dump :) )

I think that I was once a camera snob, I owned a German Titanium Leica M6, with a couple of Titanium Lenses. German is best you know, no one can touch a Leica for quality, except maybe the Swedish Hasselblad and I had one of those too, how well endowed I was :) You could buy a nice motorhome for what the Hassleblad body cost on it's own.

If I recall I'd strut around with these like they were some sort of penis extension, but really, looking back at prints made from the negatives I really can't tell which camera was used, the Leica or the much cheaper Japanese cameras I subsequently owned. It's all academic, because I learned, it's not about the camera its all about the photo, even if they are a bit blurred or out of focus the joy is not diminished when you look back at them

A holiday is what you make of it, its about where you go, who you are with, and what you do. You can have fantastic holidays in a £200k German Bitchoff but you can have just as good or better in a 20 year old leaky Kontiki or come to that, in a tent.

Some love German vans, others don't; and I agree; having someone continually drone on that your choice is wrong is what we have the ignore function for. :)
Very well said that man!

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
@Khizzie Not everyone thinks the same. To some people, dissention is amusing, they call it "fun", yet to others it is a constant irritation to see threads vandalised or turned into pissing contests at every opportunity. The whole Brexit issue is a good example of all that

I used to care, perhaps it took a bit of misunderstanding on my part following an exchange with Tootles to see step back, to count to 10 when people are in one of their confrontational moods before attacking them back, or instead just moving on. And make no mistake, I was wrong there, and I am grateful to him for helping me though that

Just don't let it get to you mate, one man's amusement is another man's agony

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've owned 1 British Autotrail 3 American RVs and current German 14 year old Hymer.
All good vans in their own way all the best at the time because they suited our needs at a particular time so on that basis the Hymer is currently the best, also the one we've owned longest.

None were bad vans although the newest a 6 month old 2009 did suffer from bad insulation and leaks and we quickly got rid of it and bought the older Hymer as we thought it was better build quality.

The trouble is no one wants to be told they've made a bad choice especially when even secondhand motorhomes cost so much dosh and it's your pride and joy.

The Op did ask about a specific model and got the usual mixed replies.
@Lenny HB replied based on his personal experience of British made caravans and motorhomes which cost him a a lot of money so is justified in passing on his experience to unsuspecting buyers.

Everytime a thread comes up asking for advice on remapping or Mercedes I jump in with my experiences as I have lost thousands and thousands on both so will not recommend either. The reason I do this is not to slag off other peoples choices but to warn others of the risks attached and to tell them how and what happened to me by going down that road.

Not everyone agrees with me on remapping and Mercedes and that's fine because their experience is different to mine, but to be able to make a proper decision you need all the info available good and bad.

(y)(y)

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015

I love all vans. I look at them all, old and new and know each owner loves the life regardless of make or age [ I hope ] and that makes me smile.

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Regarding Bailey, I have a local dealer and would have probably bought one if they did Auto boxes (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The insulation on the Bailey in the film looks like expanded polystyrene, this has about half the insulation value of Celotex/Kingspan, but is cheaper, that alone would put me off.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The insulation on the Bailey in the film looks like expanded polystyrene, this has about half the insulation value of Celotex/Kingspan, but is cheaper, that alone would put me off.
Also surprised me that the wall and roof are not bonded in a vacuum press, so there wouldn't be much strength the walls & roof.
Construction was similar to caravans built 30-40 years ago.

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Also surprised me that the wall and roof are not bonded in a vacuum press, so there wouldn't be much strength the walls & roof.

They could be making them easy to recycle perhaps?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

I refrained from commenting about the Bailey earlier as I didn't want to 'upset' anyone but, regardless of who makes them, whether British or made elsewhere, I would not be happy having just a 'jigsaw puzzle' of bits stuck together like that, especially insulated with what just appeared to be polystyrene!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back