Bailey motorhomes. Buying British (1 Viewer)

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
I have been quite outspoken about class leading build quality associated with German motorhomes. But, now find myself considering a Brit built Bailey with Alu- tech body shell. I have read that problems other than water ingress have caused concerns. What do the Bailey owners think?

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Had ours since 2012, no real problems. Very happy with it. Anything else now feels cramped.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donnieban

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
Had ours since 2012, no real problems. Very happy with it. Anything else now feels cramped.

Thanks Vic, I genuinely want to support home grown and I have lapped up the Alu-tech. Did that swing things for you?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Following a conversation - I looked into what Bailey meant by Alutech. It apparently refers to the corner jointing system and doesnt mean its a composite construction. Likewise their 'woodfree' claim meant thet the wooden framework had been replaced with a kind of plastic with white polystyrene as insulation.

this shows the process.

Dont know how good they are but IMO 'Alutech' is misleading.

But you pays your money...........

Jon

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0
OP
OP
donnieban

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
Following a conversation - I looked into what Bailey meant by Alutech. It apparently refers to the corner jointing system and doesnt mean its a composite construction. Likewise their 'woodfree' claim meant thet the wooden framework had been replaced with a kind of plastic with white polystyrene as insulation.

this shows the process.

Jon

Thanks for that. Think the video was poorly judged. Some overalls would have helped their corporate image, cables on floor, not the message they intended surely. Then I looked at the next youtube video featuring death by black mould featuring a 2010 Alu-tech caravan that was developed by spongeybob...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donnieban

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
It was the combination of the Ali tech, Alko chassis, the width and the price.
Thanks Vic. They look really nice, a lovely one in Highland Campers in Nairn, but purchase would involve a post office visit with a balaclava first.

Upvote 0

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Extra width maybe nice inside but outside makes it it look like a shed on wheels just don't look right :LOL:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just watched the Bailey video and whilst I'm no H&S advisor there are so many issues there with how they run the production floor I'm surprised they even let it be published!!! One that really surprised me was the chap at around 6:35 seconds who was using a jigsaw TOWARDS his hand!!!

Upvote 0

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We have had our Bailey for 2.5 years, love it. No major issues - a bit of sealant missing where the shower screen meets the shower tray, the fresh water tank level sensor needed re-calibrating; can't think of anything else. The only issue I do have is the very heavy table but that has been rectified I think in the latest models.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donnieban

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
I've just watched the Bailey video and whilst I'm no H&S advisor there are so many issues there with how they run the production floor I'm surprised they even let it be published!!! One that really surprised me was the chap at around 6:35 seconds who was using a jigsaw TOWARDS his hand!!!
I did say I was surprised that this was judged suitable...

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

this shows the process.

Jon

for those who would like to see an alternative approach

What a difference in workmanship..... I know where I'd rather spend my money...

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We had a Bailey caravan before motorhoming and were very pleased with it. The only issue that does crop up on the forum from time to time is the payload, check this and depending on your licence maybe look at getting chassis replated to higher weight. This is a very simple paperwork excersie and if buying new from a dealer should be able to do it then.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

I'm glad I wasn't the only one, sometime I think I'm over critical having worked with DuPont for over 20 years

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
The width of the latest Baileys amazes me. Our two Autographs were, I believe 2.41m wide which was plenty wide enough to drive (lovely and roomy inside though) but the new ones are 2.49m which is enormous. I don't think there is another popular model on the market that comes close to that width and I worry that people will find them difficult to manoeuvre through narrow villages and country lanes. Or am I worrying about nothing?

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Friends of ours have returned a recently bought Bailey due to massive water ingress to the rear around the o/s corner. The dealers have been brilliant and they pick up their Kontiki tag tomorrow from the same dealer.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
The width of the latest Baileys amazes me. Our two Autographs were, I believe 2.41m wide which was plenty wide enough to drive (lovely and roomy inside though) but the new ones are 2.49m which is enormous. I don't think there is another popular model on the market that comes close to that width and I worry that people will find them difficult to manoeuvre through narrow villages and country lanes. Or am I worrying about nothing?

If the bin lorry and bus can get through then the Bailey does, most owners say they don't notice once they're on the road.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If the bin lorry and bus can get through then the Bailey does, most owners say they don't notice once they're on the road.
Not necessarily ... we found the Chausson we had which was 2.3m wide was too chubby and driving it on narrow roads, with oncoming traffic was not pleasant at times. Also there are some places where the bin lorry doesn't go, or the bus is a minibus, not a full-sized one, especially abroad, so assuming you can get down a road isn't a given.

I seriously question the sense of Bailey to have such a wide MH especially since other manufacturers are now developing narrower ones! I've had a look at the website and it says the width is 4.12m including marker lights which means it may, in reality, be 2.35m (excluding mirrors) so if they have increased the width they aren't mentioning it.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I don't think there is another popular model on the market that comes close to that width and I worry that people will find them difficult to manoeuvre through narrow villages and country lanes. Or am I worrying about nothing?
No, IMV you're not worrying about nothing. What worries me is the people who buy them and then don't know how to drive them safely to take account of the extra width and then end up knocking ruddy mirrors off oncoming traffic as happened to us this year when a MH coming the other way panicked and pulled into our side of the road taking our mirror with him! :(

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
You get what you pay for, and I think the comparisons should be like for like. Lots of difference in cost between M/H and caravans, lots of difference between construction of walls and floors

Bailey don't make a good showing from that, IMO, but I bought French anyway, so what do I know?

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Not necessarily ... we found the Chausson we had which was 2.3m wide was too chubby and driving it on narrow roads, with oncoming traffic was not pleasant at times. Also there are some places where the bin lorry doesn't go, or the bus is a minibus, not a full-sized one, especially abroad, so assuming you can get down a road isn't a given.

I seriously question the sense of Bailey to have such a wide MH especially since other manufacturers are now developing narrower ones! I've had a look at the website and it says the width is 4.12m including marker lights which means it may, in reality, be 2.35m (excluding mirrors) so if they have increased the width they aren't mentioning it.

Of course not necessarily, it's a generalisation often said on Fun. Any sensible driver should check the route beforehand, on streetview if necessary, and not assume everywhere is accessible nor blindly follow satnavs.

If the destination is a campsite or other commercial enterprise we can assume a bus or a dustcart can access it.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Well we've got a Bailey 620 which is slightly wider than some vans but haven't really found the width a problem. We spent three months in France with it this year and experienced no issues.
We drive carefully and the only dangers we've had are from car drivers going too fast and crossing over the central line. In those cases we simply slow down or even stop.
As to the build quality our second hand (2012 van) apart from problems with the habitation door, apparently a frequent issue with Hartal doors on other vans as well, has beeen good. No complaints.

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Our new Carthago is 2.27m wide and the reduction in width over our previous vans is incredibly noticeable. It makes it a joy to thread through a French villages narrow streets, when before I would be worried about every twist and turn.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Totally agree. 2.35 on our Chausson, and chubby is a good description. There's only a couple of inches in them, though.

The maximum permissible overall width is (I believe) limited to 2.55M, which includes some very large vehicles up to 40T (Link Removed extended mirrors make it difficult enough to manoeuvre in tight roads, thankfully the 6M one we have (we don't really need a 1M long "garage" when we are just touring) leaving a sensible overhang, which compensates in terms of manoeuvrability.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back