Bailey motorhomes. Buying British (10 Viewers)

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
I have been quite outspoken about class leading build quality associated with German motorhomes. But, now find myself considering a Brit built Bailey with Alu- tech body shell. I have read that problems other than water ingress have caused concerns. What do the Bailey owners think?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Totally agree. 2.35 on our Chausson, and chubby is a good description. There's only a couple of inches in them, though.

The maximum permissible overall width is (I believe) limited to 2.55M, which includes some very large vehicles up to 40T (Link Removed extended mirrors make it difficult enough to manoeuvre in tight roads, thankfully the 6M one we have (we don't really need a 1M long "garage" when we are just touring) leaving a sensible overhang, which compensates in terms of manoeuvrability.
That's why most RV's are technically "illegal" on UK roads but a blind eye is turned to them.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I seriously question the sense of Bailey to have such a wide MH especially since other manufacturers are now developing narrower ones! I've had a look at the website and it says the width is 4.12m including marker lights which means it may, in reality, be 2.35m (excluding mirrors) so if they have increased the width they aren't mentioning it.
Just realised the measurement above shouldn't have been 4.12m but 2.412m ... must go to Specsavers! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our new Carthago is 2.27m wide and the reduction in width over our previous vans is incredibly noticeable. It makes it a joy to thread through a French villages narrow streets, when before I would be worried about every twist and turn.
Very nice they are too ... we saw them at Malvern and hubby really took a shine to them !!! :love:Thankfully now we've spent our dosh on our new Lodges we don't have any left to buy one ... :D no doubt though in the future if we want to change from our lovely PVC he'll be chomping at the bit to get one!!! o_O

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Bailey don't make a good showing from that, IMO, but I bought French anyway, so what do I know?[/QUOTE]

You should see the Eldiss one that used to be on there. Showing 4 guys nailing - yes nailing - the roof onto a new motorhome.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Don't think the comparison of Bailey (or another mid range supplier) should be measured against N&B. The price of an N&B is double a Bailey and they are also made in much smaller numbers. Would be interesting to see perhaps Knaus or Hymer comparable model v the Bailey....

Upvote 0

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
We have a 765 ,the layout is perfect for us .We have had a few problems since we got it ,luckily we bought it from a dealer that has a good reputation for after sales service and they have sorted it for us.
As for the width ,yes it can be a problem but it's something that's possible to get used too.The one thing that I do dislike is the mirrors ,they stick out just a bit too far,although these are fitted to most of the Sevil based MHs.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have been quite outspoken about class leading build quality associated with German motorhomes. But, now find myself considering a Brit built Bailey with Alu- tech body shell. I have read that problems other than water ingress have caused concerns. What do the Bailey owners think?
Oh boy, have you got problems, stick with a German van you know it makes sence.:ROFLMAO:
Having owned British caravans in the past I would never buy a UK built caravan or Motorhome ever.

Extra width maybe nice inside but outside makes it it look like a shed on wheels just don't look right :LOL:
Agree, it looks like a cut & shunt job, hacked the front off a caravan and dumped it on a chassis cab. Has to be the ugliest Motorhome in current production, I assume they have done it to appeal to their caravan customers.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
You get what you pay for, and I think the comparisons should be like for like. Lots of difference in cost between M/H and caravans, lots of difference between construction of walls and floors

Bailey don't make a good showing from that, IMO, but I bought French anyway, so what do I know?
Exactly !!!

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Oh boy, have you got problems, stick with a German van you know it makes sence.:ROFLMAO:

Agree, it looks like a cut & shunt job, hacked the front off a caravan and dumped it on a chassis cab. Has to be the ugliest Motorhome in current production, I assume they have done it to appeal to their caravan customers.
How did I know that @Lenny HB would be along to pour scorn on British made motorhomes ..

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Our new Carthago is 2.27m wide and the reduction in width over our previous vans is incredibly noticeable. It makes it a joy to thread through a French villages narrow streets, when before I would be worried about every twist and turn.
I know the feeling having gone from a 2.35m wide Hymer to a 2.22m wide one. It is quite surprising the difference it makes threading your way through French medieval villages, greek hill top villages & those roads you never intended to go down when the satnav decides to take a short cut. As for the internal size reduction don't notice the difference at all. For the new van the main reasons we went for the Hymer DL as opposed to the PL was to keep to the 2.22m width.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
How did I know that @Lenny HB would be along to pour scorn on British made motorhomes ..
If they were capable of making a decent product I wouldn't knock them. Bailey appear to hold their own with the rest of them with their water ingress problems & spongy floors.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yay !!! .i agree after seeing what hymers offer for that horrendous price. Roy
Depends where yo buy I don't pay silly UK prices always buy in Belgium where you can buy a Hymer for the same price as an AT or Swift I know what I'd rather have for the same hard earned cash.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
It's not the origin of the flaming hab unit that counts, it's the quality of manufacture.

Germans are very good at window dressing, one look at VW's emission claims will demonstrate that. They are also good at exploiting the market of ostentatious customers. One look at Mercedes or BMW will confirm that

A M/H is only as good as the base vehicle, and the habitation area is only as good as you are prepared to pay. Even with good maintenance to both, the base unit will be in the scrapyard long before the plastic shrouded hab area has decayed beyond redemption. Or is German plastic superior to our own just because it is German?

Frankly, anybody thinking that a veneered MDF cupboard is superior to a solid teak cupboard, or gold taps with crystal heads in their tiny plastic sinks are superior ro chrome taps is either delusional or just has money to burn. It's a marginally more sophisticated caravan on wheels, not a bloody jet aircraft

Last edited:
Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Do you still have to take your van back to have all the panel fixings torqued up as you did with the Alutec caravan ? If they still have to do this then I bet it is a pain with all the fittings in a motorhome

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Don't think the comparison of Bailey (or another mid range supplier) should be measured against N&B. The price of an N&B is double a Bailey and they are also made in much smaller numbers. Would be interesting to see perhaps Knaus or Hymer comparable model v the Bailey....

A bit old but interesting nevertheless (well I think so :D)

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
If anyone fancies a job building caravans and motorhomes, Bailey have always got vacancies.
Might even be able to build your own van :LOL:

Untitled.png

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
One thing I've noticed on my travels around Europe and Scandinavia is that wherever you go, you often see foreign registered 'British' cars, but I've never seen a foreign registered 'British' motorhome.

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
It's not the origin of the flaming hab unit that counts, it's the quality of manufacture.

Germans are very good at window dressing, one look at VW's emission claims will demonstrate that. They are also good at exploiting the market of ostentatious customers. One look at Mercedes or BMW will confirm that

A M/H is only as good as the base vehicle, and the habitation area is only as good as you are prepared to pay. Even with good maintenance to both, the base unit will be in the scrapyard long before the plastic shrouded hab area has decayed beyond redemption. Or is German plastic superior to our own just because it is German?

Frankly, anybody thinking that a veneered MDF cupboard is superior to a solid teak cupboard, or gold taps with crystal heads in their tiny plastic sinks are superior ro chrome taps is either delusional or just has money to burn. It's a marginally more sophisticated caravan on wheels, not a bloody jet aircraft
Now why didn't I just say those few simple sentence's. ..i totally agree.. I do get rather peeved when a poster asks for info on a British built motorhome and these people come along and basically insult their intelligence by suggesting that they should not buy British . Personally fed up with them and if they really want to be foreign anoraks' I am sure there is a forum somewhere designed for them ......gggrr rant over ..

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back