Bailey motorhomes. Buying British (9 Viewers)

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
I have been quite outspoken about class leading build quality associated with German motorhomes. But, now find myself considering a Brit built Bailey with Alu- tech body shell. I have read that problems other than water ingress have caused concerns. What do the Bailey owners think?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This thread started as a 'Bailey' question and here's my input as a Bailey 740 owner which I bought less than a year ago brand new. Went in for its first hab check yesterday.
When I bought it, it went straight into a storage shed which even in the middle of winter I could walk round in shirt sleeves. It has done only a total of 2500 miles and didn't see proper daylight until late April. So VERY disturbed when the hab check revealed FOUR damp areas. Under both lounge seats, the hab locker under the bed and in the cassette area. Also it was discovered that the 'cowling' which joins the hab area to the cab moves and sounds like a regular Bailey problem. The extent of the damp is number 2 on a list of 4, number 1 being no issues, 4 being certain rot. The dealer is also going to replace the Alde control panel which doesn't work properly and we are currently at Cornish Farm and the water pump has packed in. Deep joy.
A bit like this then

Upvote 0
OP
OP
donnieban

donnieban

Free Member
Jun 19, 2016
Highland
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
A newbie
This thread started as a 'Bailey' question and here's my input as a Bailey 740 owner which I bought less than a year ago brand new. Went in for its first hab check yesterday.
When I bought it, it went straight into a storage shed which even in the middle of winter I could walk round in shirt sleeves. It has done only a total of 2500 miles and didn't see proper daylight until late April. So VERY disturbed when the hab check revealed FOUR damp areas. Under both lounge seats, the hab locker under the bed and in the cassette area. Also it was discovered that the 'cowling' which joins the hab area to the cab moves and sounds like a regular Bailey problem. The extent of the damp is number 2 on a list of 4, number 1 being no issues, 4 being certain rot. The dealer is also going to replace the Alde control panel which doesn't work properly and we are currently at Cornish Farm and the water pump has packed in. Deep joy.

And its good night from me and good night from him........sticking to their Sherry!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
our walls are aluminium so if you stick a damp meter in them they will show 100% as it measures conductivity, indeed I know on person who couldn't sell his N+B van because the guy the prospective purchaser employed to check it over told him it was damp "all over" and the seller didn't know to argue, he is happy years later though as the van is still going strong and dry a a bone.
Martin
Interesting but wouldn't that only apply to the probe type damp meters? Shouldn't really be using a probe meter on a Motorhome anyway.
New Hymers have internal Aluminum walls and of course GRP floors.:)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Interesting but wouldn't that only apply to the probe type damp meters? Shouldn't really be using a probe meter on a Motorhome anyway.
New Hymers have internal Aluminum walls and of course GRP floors.:)
Probe type meter yes as it was a few years ago, I dont know how the non invasive ones work.

When did Hymer change from the PUAL construction with the plywood inside?

Martin

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When did Hymer change from the PUAL construction with the plywood inside?

Martin
The new Dynamic Line, most of the 2016 ones are ply but they have now changed to aluminum. Ones we saw in dealers in Germany had ply inner walls, the ones at Caravan Salon were aluminum. I checked to make sure our one will be aluminum and they confirmed all 2017 models are.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The new Dynamic Line, most of the 2016 ones are ply but they have now changed to aluminum. Ones we saw in dealers in Germany had ply inner walls, the ones at Caravan Salon were aluminum. I checked to make sure our one will be aluminum and they confirmed all 2017 models are.

Interesting.

Martin

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think the change was to get the weight down, they had problems and kept delaying the release, desperate to get a B Class in a 3.5t van. We went for 4500kg chassis.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
With an excellent strength/weight ratio, resilience to vibration (no work hardening issues), resistant to corrosion and harmonic resonance, and tried and tested over thousands of years
And stone was highly thought of in the Stone-age.
3304ac456f65d20561a7d825012fabb9.jpg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back