Are showers in MH's a waste of space? (1 Viewer)

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Would never buy a van where the shower had been used. Yuk!

Deleted User
Have never used on site shower, how many hundreds of people have peed in there before you get in?

That'll be them bloody off duty lorry drivers (having forgotten to take their pop bottles on holiday)

;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't see the point of having a Motorhome without a shower, wouldn't be a proper Motorhome.
When we were choosing the current it van came down to a choice of 3 one with the biggest shower won.

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Interesting views, didn't realise so many motorhomers used their own. When we had our caravan we only used the shower once or twice to try it out. Found it way too cramped as we do with our motorhome shower. Obviously the toilet is a must but only for number 1's (No Exceptions to that one) as is the sink but that's another thread ;).
The facilities on most sites are great, even the tatty ones in Italy we OK. Never, ever used any type of footwear and never had a problem. The last site we were on here we were pitched right next to the shower block so it was like having a 5 star ensuite :). When we were on holiday we used the shower to store all our booze, just seems a waste of space to me, but hey ho everyone to their own :rolleyes:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a shower is essential. when not in use as a shower we store stuff and hang wet coats to drip dry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: JJ
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
The shower in a campsite would have to include a couple of youngish blondes to get me to consider using it...

JJ :cool:

........ This is why I'm using showers on a campsite:whistle::whistle: ....but I do prefer dark skinned and brown haired youngish......MEN..... by all means:p

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Our shower is pretty much as big as the one at home. We love it and will use it if no good site showers. We use it at other times to hang washing in to dry (on the move or in wet weather)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Interesting views, didn't realise so many motorhomers used their own. When we had our caravan we only used the shower once or twice to try it out. Found it way too cramped as we do with our motorhome shower. Obviously the toilet is a must but only for number 1's (No Exceptions to that one) as is the sink but that's another thread ;).

Crikey :eek: Quite frankly I wonder why you bother with a motorhome:eek: Not using the shower? Not pooing in the loo?

Why don't you just use hotels instead? Much nicer than mixing it with all the riff raff ;)

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Crikey :eek: Quite frankly I wonder why you bother with a motorhome:eek: Not using the shower? Not pooing in the loo?

Why don't you just use hotels instead? Much nicer than mixing it with all the riff raff ;)

If that's you're reasoning why do they bother installing showers & toilets in Aires or on sites? With the motorhome being a confined space I don't want to gas everyone once I've had a number 2 :D

Hotels, now there's a thought :rolleyes:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We use our shower for all sorts of things!
Boot & shoe storage, somewhere to hang wet coats/towels, usually cooler than the main van so a good place to keep fruit, ideal for the wet silver screens when travelling, good for hanging wet washing that's dripping.

Oh, forgot, good place to have a shower in!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
If that's you're reasoning why do they bother installing showers & toilets in Aires or on sites?

You have a point there! So to take this debate to a logical conclusion....... perhaps not bother with a loo either.......

Wait a minute.............. it's already been done................ a VW Califonia (or similar) :rolleyes: No shower, no loo, just use the site facilities (y)

It would save dragging around a massive MH ;)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
No wonder you lot have grey water problems, when you fill it with soapy water it has to be dumped somewhere.
The problem I have with showers is that the control is no existent, it is steam clean or freezing cold in rapid succession.
Does anyone actually have a decent temperature control over theirs or do you want to be lobsterised?
Strip washes in a decent sink is better for me and produces a lot less need to search for water sources or laybys with drains.
Why do they all worry about wash water going out anyway,

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
We use ours as a second wardrobe , then when you want a shower it's not to much or hassle move the hanging coats etc.

colyboy

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
As we always use Aires there are not many showers in them so always use our own. Wouldn't buy a mh without one. Even when we used to use sites we used or own. And the toilet. Don't know who sat on them.

Reactions: JJ
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
GWAYGWAY

The shower controls in our Hobby is BRILLIANT and we have total control of how hot/cold we want it.

ps and there is room for two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

colyboy

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Are you nuts, it's one of the vital essentials for a motorhome. You can buy a camper van as they don't have showers, but the beauty of a motorhome is that you have these luxuries....and to shower where complete strangers shower, noooooo thank you, no verrucas for me thanks :)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
much more spacious rather than banging around in our own tiny cubicle

There you have it,

1.Ours isn't a tiny little cubicle

2. I wouldn't wish to use on site facilities regardless of how good they were more than using my own home from home.

3. We prefer the smaller cl / cs type of sites that often don't have any more than water supply and Black waste disposal.

ps only just read the rest of the thread so I'll post a picture of Howie's Queue and the reason camp sites have shower blocks is for the real campers...... in Tents, or the VW Californians or my sons Trident (No Loo)

Shower queue.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
No wonder you lot have grey water problems, when you fill it with soapy water it has to be dumped somewhere.
The problem I have with showers is that the control is no existent, it is steam clean or freezing cold in rapid succession.
Does anyone actually have a decent temperature control over theirs or do you want to be lobsterised?
Strip washes in a decent sink is better for me and produces a lot less need to search for water sources or laybys with drains.
Why do they all worry about wash water going out anyway,
:smiley: Our Swift Bolero has a really good shower and we wouldn't be without it. We use on site facilities if they are ok but quite often choose to use the van, especially if it's a choice of wandering to the shower block on a cold, wet windy day :smiley:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
It would have to be a 5 star site shower facility to tempt me away from my on-board shower!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A Motorhome without a shower is a CamperVan :rolleyes:.
...and limits where, when & how long one can pitch... and cost.
A full facility MH = freedom of choice (y).
Showerless limits freedom.
Dont accept that, have you not come across an external camper van shower. Camper vans have far more freedom use far less earth resources and can be totally stealth if required for free loading. How much personal space do you need when camping in your gin palace......:rolleyes:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
With space being at a premium in a Motorhome do you think the shower is a bit of a waste of space?

As we stick to proper sites with full amenities we always use their showers which are much more spacious rather than banging around in our own tiny cubicle.
Obviously if your into wild camping then it's either a dip in the local river, lake or stream or use your own shower.

I just think the space could be used more efficiently, what do you think :think:

No I don't think it's waste of space, for you, only using sites perhaps it is, its's a question of individual taste but I think you are the exception. Our shower has enough space and I don't want to use site showers or toilets by walking over a field, perhaps in the rain,when I have my own far superior facilities a few away.

People buy their motorhomes with their eyes open, to suit their own requirements, if they don't want to use a shower they buy one with as small shower just to use it for storage, if they want to use the shower they generally, I suppose, make sure its a usable size.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Dont accept that, have you not come across an external camper van shower. Camper vans have far more freedom use far less earth resources and can be totally stealth if required for free loading. How much personal space do you need when camping in your gin palace......:rolleyes:
  1. ...have you not come across an external camper van shower.
    - Err, No :rolleyes:
  2. ...Camper vans have far more freedom use far less earth resources and can be totally stealth if required for free loading
    - Err, how does that work? A MH with an
    internal shower vs a Camper with an external one as far as "earth resources" are concerned. I would have thought someone showering outside their van is hardly 'stealthy' ;)
  3. ...How much personal space do you need when camping in your gin palace
    - Err, as much space as is possible & practicable. If you saw my van, you wouldn't immediately think "gin palace" :cool:
It seems that my opinion that a MH without a shower is a Camper is somehow negative towards CamperVans - it is not.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
@Langtoftlad, disagree with your definition of a camper van v Motorhome. IMHO a camper van is a PVC irrespective of the interior layout, a Motorhome is a coachbuilt or A class vehicle.
I have a camper van with a shower!!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
With space being at a premium in a Motorhome do you think the shower is a bit of a waste of space?

As we stick to proper sites with full amenities we always use their showers which are much more spacious rather than banging around in our own tiny cubicle.
Obviously if your into wild camping then it's either a dip in the local river, lake or stream or use your own shower.

I just think the space could be used more efficiently, what do you think :think:

This is the attitude of the "Travelling Community" where their vans are made without a Toilet or shower. If you only stick to proper sites try buying a Gypsy van. Lots of glass and mirrors.
We use our toilet and shower 24/7/365 as Full timers. We use CLs and Wild Park avoiding the full bells and whistles sites. Therefor No. I don't think they are a waste of space.

Deleted User
It seems fairly obvious to me that people use their motorhomes in different ways and have different needs, hence the huge variety in layouts and facilities. There is no one size fits all and no right or wrong way of doing things.

I have been a tent camper, a caravanner and a motorhomer at various times since childhood almost entirely on site.

Tents and all our early motorhomes and caravans had no showers so we are accustomed to using site facilities, which in the 50's and later were quite often fairly basic.

We sold our house in 2008 and bought a 5'er which is quite spacious and has decent washroom/shower, not huge but adequate and we have used the shower on occasion but as we are mostly on site and the water heater is gas only we obviously use the site facilities.

The 5'er is now sited in Portugal and we bought a Hymer caravan for touring purposes, we bought a continental van because most British vans have washrooms the size of a ballroom and huge ovens that we do not need. It did have a shower attached to the sink tap in the toilet which was replaced with a normal tap when it broke, the space in the washroom would make having a decent shower very difficult anyway.

We are now considering a small PVC and with space at a premium we are even considering doing without any form of washroom and reverting to a portapotty. Finding a layout to suit us is difficult so we may well have to get a van converted to our requirements.

We motorhome and caravan(don't do tents anymore.......too low down:)) as we like as I presume everyone else does and therefore yes I do consider them a waste of space.............for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back