Are showers in MH's a waste of space? (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No wonder you lot have grey water problems, when you fill it with soapy water it has to be dumped somewhere.
The problem I have with showers is that the control is no existent, it is steam clean or freezing cold in rapid succession.
Does anyone actually have a decent temperature control over theirs or do you want to be lobsterised?
Strip washes in a decent sink is better for me and produces a lot less need to search for water sources or laybys with drains.
Why do they all worry about wash water going out anyway,
Not sure how old your motorhome is but things have changed in the last 20 years. We have a mixer tap that is always set to the same temperature (left - right adjustment) and just switch it on or off (up or down). No temperature fluctuations, unless the wife forgets I am in there and tries to fill the kettle! And we use the toilet for both functions.

Another one who believes that shower and toilet are essential. That is one of the issues that sets us apart from the tuggers.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
It seems fairly obvious to me that people use their motorhomes in different ways and have different needs, hence the huge variety in layouts and facilities. There is no one size fits all and no right or wrong way of doing things.

I have been a tent camper, a caravanner and a motorhomer at various times since childhood almost entirely on site.

Tents and all our early motorhomes and caravans had no showers so we are accustomed to using site facilities, which in the 50's and later were quite often fairly basic.

We sold our house in 2008 and bought a 5'er which is quite spacious and has decent washroom/shower, not huge but adequate and we have used the shower on occasion but as we are mostly on site and the water heater is gas only we obviously use the site facilities.

The 5'er is now sited in Portugal and we bought a Hymer caravan for touring purposes, we bought a continental van because most British vans have washrooms the size of a ballroom and huge ovens that we do not need. It did have a shower attached to the sink tap in the toilet which was replaced with a normal tap when it broke, the space in the washroom would make having a decent shower very difficult anyway.

We are now considering a small PVC and with space at a premium we are even considering doing without any form of washroom and reverting to a portapotty. Finding a layout to suit us is difficult so we may well have to get a van converted to our requirements.

We motorhome and caravan(don't do tents anymore.......too low down:)) as we like as I presume everyone else does and therefore yes I do consider them a waste of space.............for us.

We had a huge separate shower in our old mh. Although the shower got used, it was just for Quick shower washing. Bits,pits n tits::bigsmile: The bathroom took up the whole of the back of the van. Plenty space get dressed washed showered toileted etc. ideal with a family of 5 or if you were old infirm , or disabled.
We'd call into a site to do my hair. I only wash it once a week it's thick and takes some time to wash and condition it. There I could stay in the shower for 15 mins or more !
So when we decided to build our own PVC , we decided on a wetroom with a trigger shower. That way we could have more room in the rest of the van. We fitted remmi blinds , so with the window screens up as well, we can walk about the whole van , as a dressing room:blush:
The layout suits us well. Ralph fitted the bench type loo with the drop down sink , and trigger shower. Plenty space for a quick bits, pits n tits. :rofl:
The plus side is on the last day of a trip, who evers in the shower last , can give the bench loo a Good antibax. Then a real good spray down , round the edges with the trigger shower.
See below ( I think ! ) There's a picture of the smaller , but usable space we have.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/page-19

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Does anyone actually have a decent temperature control over theirs or do you want to be lobsterised?

The temperature control on ours is pretty much spot on. Far better than some showers I've used in hotels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
No wonder you lot have grey water problems, when you fill it with soapy water it has to be dumped somewhere.
The problem I have with showers is that the control is no existent, it is steam clean or freezing cold in rapid succession.
Strip washes in a decent sink is better for me and produces a lot less need to search for water sources or laybys with drains.
Why do they all worry about wash water going out anyway,
We've got good pressure and good temperature control too

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
When there were 5 of us in a caravan and an aquaroll , to the shower block !
Now there's 2 of us and 120litres , its the compact but fantastic shower cubicle in our compact van !

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
When there were 5 of us in a caravan and an aquaroll , to the shower block !
Now there's 2 of us and 120litres , its the compact but fantastic shower cubicle in our compact van !

Last week 5 of us in the motorhome, camped in a muddy field at a music festival. Kids were doing a lot of walking backwards and forwards with the Aquaroll (y) We were there for 4 nights and if I remember correctly went through three full 120l tankfuls.

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
We use our MH shower every day when we're away
Great pressure, lovely and hot
Why would you want to share a shower cubicle with other people ?

I normally use a cubicle on my own, more then one and it's a crowd
:LOL:(y),and also wear my crocs, albeit the facilities we have used are on CCsites, and they've always so far been spotless and well looked after, we do use our toilet, but it saves walking to have a pee when we've had a drink or 5, one day we will be part of the roughie toughies brigade, and go it alone.(y)

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
How do you get rid of the steam in a van when you've been showering?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
How do you get rid of the steam in a van when you've been showering?
We wipe our shower down after use with a J cloth then dry it with a microfibre towel. It sounds like a bit of a faff but it takes only moments. Then just ensure it is well ventilated and soon everything is completely dry. In the winter we turn the heater on and this blasts hot air into the loo/shower and soon it it so warm in there you could use it to cure herrings - or something like that.

Deleted User
We had a huge separate shower in our old mh. Although the shower got used, it was just for Quick shower washing. Bits,pits n tits::bigsmile: The bathroom took up the whole of the back of the van. Plenty space get dressed washed showered toileted etc. ideal with a family of 5 or if you were old infirm , or disabled.
We'd call into a site to do my hair. I only wash it once a week it's thick and takes some time to wash and condition it. There I could stay in the shower for 15 mins or more !
So when we decided to build our own PVC , we decided on a wetroom with a trigger shower. That way we could have more room in the rest of the van. We fitted remmi blinds , so with the window screens up as well, we can walk about the whole van , as a dressing room:blush:
The layout suits us well. Ralph fitted the bench type loo with the drop down sink , and trigger shower. Plenty space for a quick bits, pits n tits. :rofl:
The plus side is on the last day of a trip, who evers in the shower last , can give the bench loo a Good antibax. Then a real good spray down , round the edges with the trigger shower.
See below ( I think ! ) There's a picture of the smaller , but usable space we have.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/page-19

I have looked at your thread on the conversion and it is the dogs *********, a top class conversion, I wish that I had the skill and the time to do that.

When we are back in the UK next Summer(?) we will look into the possibility of having a conversion done but the logistics of buying a suitable van and then getting a conversion done in the time available may mean that we have to compromise and buy a ready converted van, been looking at Possl or Globecar but we shall see!!

Deleted User
I wouldn't even think for a nano second about having a motorhome without a shower...

Using a shower that total strangers also use?

Yuuuuuukkkkk.

JJ :cool:

I always use the motorhome shower rather than the campsite, nothing worse than having somebody elses crud between your toes.

spongy

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I have never moved on from a tin bath in front of the coal fire once a week (if I was lucky) to having to shower every day.....

When did having a shower every day begin?

.........and I've never had a shower in a MH..........

strip wash or shower in a 'proper shower'....... 'when necessary'..........:whistle:

Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
Well I am surprised by everyone's comment! I come out on the side of 'I could happily go without one'
And I don't use big sites, I like rallies, aires, small CL.
I've used a shower more to cool down in extreme hot weather than to wash with, I shower every day when I'm working so a weekend away for me is all about not having to bother.
Maybe it's an age thing but we never had showers when I was younger and we managed to stay clean.

Last edited:

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Shower every day when we are away in the van, as I would at home.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Our "camper van" is a 7.2 metre coachbuilt with separate shower almost as big as the one at home, with a very accurate mixer valve and extractor fan. We use the toilet as we do ours at home ( 1's and 2's) and never stay on campsites. We spent years in VW campers using site showers and that convinced us that the next van we had would gave its own shower.
Our camper van ( Motorhome Camping car or whatever) is totally self contained and that's how we like to use it.
But, each to their own

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I always use the motorhome shower rather than the campsite, nothing worse than having somebody elses crud between your toes.

spongy
I'v looked in them & seen enough pubic hair to weave a welcome mat!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
In our van the shower has been used many times its actually very good and has fine tuned controls but we also have an external shower that we haven't used as yet but when the occasion arises I will,:ROFLMAO: albeit with a modesty screen to stop the natives laughing:)will this then count as a grey water issue.?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I have commented on a similar thread recently. And I will say the same, on our recent tour around Europe, there was only one shower block I even considered using. In the end I still opted for our own shower!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I have commented on a similar thread recently. And I will say the same, on our recent tour around Europe, there was only one shower block I even considered using. In the end I still opted for our own shower!

...........Too sensitive by half;)

.....toughen up(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Anybody got a proper BATH in theirs. Good wallow better than any spraying with a garden hose.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Although I don't have the reference to hand;
I believe everyday showering was promoted by a marketing campaign by Lifebuoy Soap... in America (where else).

Showering too much can actually damage your skin.

WHAT? Isn’t the entire point of showering to cleanse your skin? Maybe, but you’re doing it far too often and in all the wrong ways.

Let’s get scientific for a moment: The top layer of your skin is comprised of hard, dead cells (umm, gross) which protect the underlying layers of healthy skin.

The top layer is held together by lipids, aka fatty compounds, that help maintain moisture, so any time you shower and scrub, you are breaking this layer apart.

OK, so how is that bad for your skin? Josh Clark explains, “The more showers you take, the more frequently this damage takes place and the less time your skin has to repair itself through natural oil production.”

I knew I was right !:whistle:

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
We managed for 7 years in our old panel van conversion without a shower. OK we didn't live in it, but always managed somehow. If onsite, used site showers, if not had a stripwash in the van. It was only just over 15ft long, so to be honest, the storage offered was more use to us than a shower would have been. It did have a toilet though which was used all the time. Our new to us van does have a shower, but have not tried it as not really enough room to wash/dry yourself.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if it really bothers you have a cold shower , no steam then .
no windows and no roof vent in my shower but its not a problem.
quick wipe with an old towel its dry.
i do have a full size house size shower cubicle .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back