Are showers in MH's a waste of space? (1 Viewer)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Waste of space for us, always on site, can't do without the toilet though:)

Don't really understand the reluctance of some to use a shower that someone else has used if it is clean, what exactly are you going to catch, use flip flops if worried about foot born infections.

Obviously if not using sites then using your own shower would be difficult to avoid.
There was a recent post about a funster catching legionnaires disease from a shower on the continent ,in the UK there is less risk as there are laws in place that should protect from legionella

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
A Motorhome without a shower is a CamperVan :rolleyes:.
...and limits where, when & how long one can pitch... and cost.
A full facility MH = freedom of choice (y).
Showerless limits freedom.
have you never heard of a strip wash or rag wash. saves loads of water . plus a cap full of cheap disinfecant in the water cleans scratches stings and keeps mozzies away. very usefull in some countries like india or africa . or even by the side of a french /spanish /portugese lake at times .

Deleted User
There was a recent post about a funster catching legionnaires disease from a shower on the continent ,in the UK there is less risk as there are laws in place that should protect from legionella

I would think about the same probability as being struck by lightning:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
We have a separate shower cubicle which is a must because with 2 kids one is bound to want a pee 2 mins after I want a shower .
Never fancied a wet room style one although others may differ.
When travelling it can act as a store room and we just move stuff as and when we use it

Vlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
have you never heard of a strip wash or rag wash. saves loads of water . plus a cap full of cheap disinfecant in the water cleans scratches stings and keeps mozzies away. very usefull in some countries like india or africa . or even by the side of a french /spanish /portugese lake at times .
Yuk :rolleyes:.
Motorhoming is about "Fun", not simply " survival"

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Yuk :rolleyes:.
Motorhoming is about "Fun", not simply " survival"
and surving is what you may need to know about .
some do venture away from the eu and have an adventure .
get bitten by a infected mozzy anywhere lets see how you survive.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We have a decent shower but Still more cramped than a campsite shower. We check the quality of campsite showers if there are any and then dcide whether to use them or the van. Always always wear jelly shoes in campsite showers though...just to be sure

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
and surving is what you may need to know about .
some do venture away from the eu and have an adventure .
get bitten by a infected mozzy anywhere lets see how you survive.
I've spent my working life travelling the world... and now choose to explore my home nation... in comfort :sneaky:.

Last edited:

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Just back from a weekend camping at Silverstone for MotoGP, we used our shower daily rather than queue for the site facilities, even though a little compact and bijou for my frame. It's an essential for us, especially when at such mass crowd events or on aires etc.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
We use good facilities when available but wild camp without facilities majority of the time so can't do without our own bathroom.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
One of the major issues for me, I don't care how good the rest of the van is, if the shower area is not up to standard then it is off the list!

When I get up in the morning I like to shower and dress not get dressed (albeit partly), trudge across to the shower, get showered and put those use clothes back on to come back to the van and get changed is simply not for me thank you very much. Still, each to his/her own!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I wouldn't be without a shower in the MH. Its a must for me. It wakens me up in the morning.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We bought a van with a shower you could use and stay off campsites .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
get showered and put those use clothes back on to come back to the van

One word, bathrobe.

I enjoy more water that a MH can carry when I shower. Steaming hot, high pressure water. Though I admit some places are lacking but usually better than a MH shower.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Are all you guys that enjoy your mh shower midgets? I have a team of helpers stationed outside mine when I need to use it, a soap picker upper and two people with grease and levers in case I get stuck.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We use site facilities if they are good but at motocross a shower is definite. This glorious Bank Holiday weekend was testament to that....just been towed out by the tractor. Mud glorious mud :D

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We love the shower in the van. If we're not on a site with nice showers. .. or the weather's bad we use the van shower. . It's great

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Definitely not a waste of space! We use ours for storage whilst travelling ( not having a garage means space is a premium) and regularly use our lovely shower! We enjoy a variety of campsites and aires. If the site facilities are good (in Freiburg recently the showers were amazing, I could have stayed there all day! Though it was 40 degrees outside and I was under a cold shower! ) we use them but if not or too far we use our own. Like @Allan & Loren I love being able to go straight from bed to shower and then potter about in a towel in privacy!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Have never used on site shower, how many hundreds of people have peed in there before you get in?

Deleted User
I think the answer to the OP's question is a resounding no (y)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I though these debates about washrooms could only be found in the letters pages of the Caravan Club magazine.
We engage in active pursuits from our van. Not having a shower makes us smelly gits!

We had a house in town once but we never once considered taking out our toilet because there was a public convenience within walking distance!:)

Then again, who needs a cassette toilet when you have empty pop bottles?:reel:

Anyway, what's a site?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
when off site which is always to save water we usually just fill the sink with hot water abut a gallon approx. and strip wash then just rinse off
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back