Are showers in MH's a waste of space? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Weinsbergaman

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We managed for 7 years in our old panel van conversion without a shower. OK we didn't live in it, but always managed somehow. If onsite, used site showers, if not had a stripwash in the van. It was only just over 15ft long, so to be honest, the storage offered was more use to us than a shower would have been. It did have a toilet though which was used all the time. Our new to us van does have a shower, but have not tried it as not really enough room to wash/dry yourself.

Hooray, A like minded person at last (y) That's 999 to 2 at the last count :LOL:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i went to buy a caravan once that turned out had been bodged by fitting a house electric shower in the cubicle. apparently they had used it permanently pitched and had their own tap. so the guy wired and plumbed in this shower. they thought it a brilliant idea and couldnt understand why it couldnt be used for touring. they were also surprised when I said no thankyou and walked away

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
We use Udo's shower a lot. For a 23 year-old shower, it's got a really good pressure and flow and is a decent size.

I wouldn't buy any motorhome without one as I love being fully self-sufficient whenever I choose to be.

To be fair, though, whenever we use any site with decent shower facilities then we do tend to use those but having one of our own means we at least have an option.

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Not a waste of time this morning ! Sharp rainshower in South Of France so used the facilities , thank you Bailey for your Whale system !

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
great shower in van have used this oftener in 5 months than i did in the one we had for 5 years. having a separate cubicle really helps. Have used both, often, for grandchildren. could cope if i didn't have one bit a loo is essential

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Always use own shower as we use THS quite a lot in UK and aires whilst on the continent

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Travellers don't use the shower/toilet cubicles in their vans and motorhomes,they say it is unhealthy. But they do crap and pee in the open!!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stelin

Free Member
Jul 29, 2014
Holmfirth, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Definitely prefer our on board facilities, though CC site facilities are reliably good when we opt to stay with them. Wouldn't be without one, one of the reasons we chose our van.

LostOZ1

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Doncaster, South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rimor Coach built
Exp
Im a newbie
Q
A lot of CL's/ CS's don't have shower blocks
BritStops don't offer showers
If you accidentally end up on a site where there's a rally/ school group/ etc then having your own facilities may be the only way you can get near the water (being wrinklies, we never ever ever use a site during school holidays!!!)

We have just been on a rally and the showers where only for tents

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
It is the water points that cause the problems, in France some sites have both water and electric to each pitch which makes all the difference. When we had the boat we had water hookup which was great and we used the onboard shower all the time. With my Motorhome there is no direct hookup, not enough water points onsite and no wasted space as it is not a separate cubicle.

Ken&Carol

Free Member
Jul 12, 2015
Preston
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I would not have a MH if it didn't have a shower or loo, we are new to this and we have been on sites were the facilities are exceptional, but there is nothing better than having your own shower.

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
Why would you want to traipse across a site, strip off , listen to others farting and adding aroma to the atmosphere whilst you shower, then dress, and traipse back across the site to your van when you can have a leisurely shower in your own comfortable surroundings...... I just don't understand why anyone would not want to use their own facilities. Self contained freedom, that's what motorhoming is all about!

efinjohn

Free Member
Jul 23, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Its like having a large engine in your van you don't use it most of the time but it's great to know it's there when you need it.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Self contained freedom, that's what motorhoming is all about!
No... motorhoming is about whatever you want it to be about ..with the added advantage of self sufficiency.
If we're on a site (and it's a nice site with good facilities) we enjoy mixing and being part of it all. Not to nention our water lasts longer and we don't have to empty our waste too often.

If you're ever passing Teversal c&cc site popcorn and check out their facilities btw.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No... motorhoming is about whatever you want it to be about ..with the added advantage of self sufficiency.
I understand each to their own, but I would see self sufficiency as being the most important part of motorhoming, rather than an "add on". Otherwise you may as well have a caravan. We spend many more nights off campsites with facilities than on them, and even more so since we have got the solar panels.

As for mixing that seems to be much better achieved on Aires and CS/CL type places, where everybody seems so much friendlier and chatty, even the French!!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Well I see self sufficiency as being an advantage. We often use sites and we will choose ones that have great facilities ... even abroad. Sites that have swimming pools saunas and gardens would be right up there for us. On the other hand .. moving between places we will use aires/Stellplatz etc and cls in the UK. Sometimes we take a car.. sometimes we don't. We can do exactly what we want and don't feel the need to stay off grid just because we have a motorhome.. but if we want to.. we can. Why on earth would we want a caravan?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Why on earth would we want a caravan?
I am sure you wouldn't. But if you take out self sufficiency then the "balance" between motorhome and caravan gets closer. After all at least with a caravan you have got a car to look around the local sights without having to batten everything down. Especially important when campsites are often further away from those sights than Aires and the like. But, as I said, each to their own.

goneroming

Free Member
Jan 31, 2014
Chester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1999
As we mostly go Wild where posible, at home & away, plus aires, could not possibly do without a shower. Never use sites, yuk!!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I am sure you wouldn't. But if you take out self sufficiency then the "balance" between motorhome and caravan gets closer. After all at least with a caravan you have got a car to look around the local sights without having to batten everything down. Especially important when campsites are often further away from those sights than Aires and the like. But, as I said, each to their own.
Sorry. . I think you're talking &$@# .. we may have to agree to disagree

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
:roflmto::nod::roflmto:
Always use our shower.

Apart from all the good reasons given above my wife has some mobility problems which mean it takes a little time to "get going in the mornings." Being able to step out of bed into a hot shower, without walking to the toilet block, is not a luxury, it's essential!

Ditto de da dit. :whistle:

Plus, when we are away at camp with our Scout group, have you ever used Scout camp showers. :roflmto:

Deleted User
:roflmto::nod::roflmto:

Ditto de da dit. :whistle:

Plus, when we are away at camp with our Scout group, have you ever used Scout camp showers. :roflmto:

A motorhome at a scout camp!!!!!...........old BP will be revolving at a rate of knots:)

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
:rolleyes:it's nice to have the option of showering in the van, but to be honest ours is so small, I doubt there would be enough room for a lady like myself, of ample proportions, to do a very thorough job. If I dropped the soap for example, there would not be room for me to pick it up!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back