2014 - MOROCCO .. All posts here now please.. (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
greencard is free from safeguard but took out breakdown cover with A.D.A.C. i have the phone number if anyone wants it.:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
greencard is free from safeguard but took out breakdown cover with A.D.A.C. i have the phone number if anyone wants it.:thumb:

I read some posts a month or so ago that A.D.A.C. only provides cover for Germans in Europe and us Brits will need to find an alternative breakdown cover.

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I got cover with ADAC for Morocco , i actually phoned them from the phone box outside the campsite in Quarzazate , They gave me the membership number and the breakdown phone numbersfor morocco over the phone then emailed me the policy in English , :Cool:

Just a point if anyone has a policy that has break down cover for Morocco , check that it gives you a contact number to phone in Morocco like ADAC does .

You may find that the cover is :- sort yourself out pay the bill and put the claim in when you get back to the UK ,

Not very handy when you are broken down miles from anywhere .... and i dont think they have yellow pages in Morocco . :roflmto:

Out of interest , i rang round loads of companies and stayed with Safegaurd, has Green card included , 365 days out of UK and unlimited mileage , and best price .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just looking through some pics thought you might like to see taghazoute in its hayday wild camp/freecamp.
you just couldnt count the vans it was about 3,000. that was end of january think 2004.

Attachments

• maroc2003-4 118.jpg
    maroc2003-4 118.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
just looking through some pics thought you might like to see taghazoute in its hayday wild camp/freecamp.
you just couldnt count the vans it was about 3,000. that was end of january think 2004.
I thought there were a lot last winter but there was probably only a couple of hundred. The local economy must be feeling the loss of all those vans. That's a lot of people shopping even just for essentials. Wow!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
then there wasnt so many campsites . i guess there are more now if you count the sites i do know that they reckoned about 40.000 vans went to maroc two years ago . thats moroccan tourist board talking .
i remember in 76 be lucky if there was 30 of us in taga .
think it was 98 there was a big tent on the rough ground by tamrha , they had the model of the buildings hotels etc that was suposed to be happening . we met the old king he actually visited us and invited us over to see .
shame they messed it up.
we used to go up behind taga to a large plateau. but it got ploughed the last year i was there.
its a different world to what it was .
one year the army put a fence up and that was the start of guardian parking .
no super markets , no mc donalds . etc hardly any campsites .
mind bikes and surfboards booked to your entry to make sure you didnt sell them .
those where the days . i,m getting too old . ha ha .
used to have to empty pockets as it was illegal to take dirhams out of the country .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
herte is one of a newyears eve party in the cafes at taghazoute that were knocked down by the beach . we took fireworks the police came and ended up having a beer with us .
there were uk .ditch ,germans ,french plus moroccans all having fun together .

Attachments

• PC310137.jpg
    PC310137.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 57
  • PC310140.jpg
    PC310140.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
herte is one of a newyears eve party in the cafes at taghazoute that were knocked down by the beach . we took fireworks the police came and ended up having a beer with us .
there were uk .ditch ,germans ,french plus moroccans all having fun together .

Thats Hasans Al. Last time I was there I was parked on what used to be his terrace. You are right about that. They were the days of plastic city. Great times were had by all. I used to have a horse brought every morning to ride down the beach from Taga to Banana village to have coffee and a boy used to meet me there on a moped from Agadir with my newspaper.
The plateau is open again as you can see in the last couple of photos, but you wont get your 5er round the first right turn as they have put a big bolder there. Rigids rule :thumb:.

Attachments

• kays favourites 033.jpg
    kays favourites 033.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Morocco 128.jpg
    Morocco 128.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 66
  • Morocco 155.jpg
    Morocco 155.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Morocco 156.jpg
    Morocco 156.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
ok... 2 things here.....

1.. The vetrans may be able to assist with this one..
Thinking about leaving van in / near Marrakech so we can fly home for a week mid February.. Last Year I returned to Spain and flew from Malaga but that cuts our time down in Morocco and leaves us a bit early for the Bella vista meet..
Got some cheap flights with easyjet... Initial idea was leave van at La Relais campsite.
However they pointed out that the person who owns and imported a vehicle cant just leave..
BUT You can declare to customs and sort of have permission to do it...
SO.. any feed back on that one..

2.. In my search on above, I can across this site..
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/morocco/
Aimed more for bike travellers I think, still has some good info that can be of use.
It answers part of my question as someone has left a car at the airport but not sure on motorhomes...

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
ok... 2 things here.....

1.. The vetrans may be able to assist with this one..
Thinking about leaving van in / near Marrakech so we can fly home for a week mid February.. Last Year I returned to Spain and flew from Malaga but that cuts our time down in Morocco and leaves us a bit early for the Bella vista meet..
Got some cheap flights with easyjet... Initial idea was leave van at La Relais campsite.
However they pointed out that the person who owns and imported a vehicle cant just leave..
BUT You can declare to customs and sort of have permission to do it...
SO.. any feed back on that one..

2.. In my search on above, I can across this site..
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/morocco/
Aimed more for bike travellers I think, still has some good info that can be of use.
It answers part of my question as someone has left a car at the airport but not sure on motorhomes...

It can be done and I know someone that has done it in Agadir a few times. You have to contact the Moroccan customs and they will sort out the paperwork. My friend left his van in the customs compound in Agadir. Am not sure now which way round it is, but I think the vehicle can stay for 6 months, even though the owner can only stay for 3 months, so therefore you can get a 6 month trip instead of a 3 month, if you know what I mean.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes. there was a time when they wrapped the vehicle at agadir airport if you left it .
its really meant to be in a bonded compound . i also have heard of a few getting agadir port to allow it .
nigel with the power gliders got home one year when his dad had passed away . his was left at the airport .
i must say i really dont think i would do it . not sure you can trust a morrocan official.
elizabeth, years ago at taga campsite could look after them as well but thats gone now .
think agadir and the port is possibly the best place .
you could get things changed there if they messed your vehicle papers up on entry.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Thats Hasans Al. Last time I was there I was parked on what used to be his terrace. You are right about that. They were the days of plastic city. Great times were had by all. I used to have a horse brought every morning to ride down the beach from Taga to Banana village to have coffee and a boy used to meet me there on a moped from Agadir with my newspaper.
The plateau is open again as you can see in the last couple of photos, but you wont get your 5er round the first right turn as they have put a big bolder there. Rigids rule :thumb:.

yes thats right hasans , you probably know roger and ann, and peter,jan,etc .
all gone and knocked down now . we usually parked up on the old camping ground .
think it was about the last year of it all. i have my back to the camera , in the brown long djelaba .
that place can tell alot of tales i,m sure .

is that manfreds maggi deutz hidden behind the tree?looks like it.

Last edited:

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Leaving your van in Morocco

As mentioned, I am informed (french forum) the best place to leave your motor home is at the airport you go to the customs at the airport check-in, they take your keys and you pay the parking ticket and fill in a document and show your vehicle documents (allowing lots of time) Parking is apparently secured. You then need to go to the Customs Office and they arrange to immobilize your van.

Naturally, I would check all this with their Embassy in the UK and try to get some form of written confirmation from them. When we have emailed them in the past regarding passports they replied the next day.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Just a heads up for folk who are taking their dogs with them to Morocco.

I contacted my vet about the blood test that was needed and was re-directed to DEFRA as the vet was not sure which blood test was needed.

While talking to DEFRA I was advised that Storm's rabies jab had to be less than 12 months and more than 30 days in order to get into Morocco. Morocco do not accept the 3 year rabies jab.

Storm is going for her boosters etc. on Wednesday and will then have her blood test done next month. A bit of bummer, but hey ho - her rabies would have been done 14 months before she travelled! Another £50.00 down the drain, followed by about £80.00 for the blood test.

Just thought you should know!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
morocco dont give a monkeys about the rabies jab . its getting back into spain that you may have a problem . they have in recent years needed a titra result on the blood test papers .
i had my dog rabied jabbed this year for 33,57 that was july .
did you not have the blood test done awhile ago. after the first jabs . mind they may have stopped them by then i suppose.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have never known the Moroccans check a pet passport let alone if they have had there jabs. As Alan says its when you come back into Spain or worse still the UK when the problems may start.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
morocco dont give a monkeys about the rabies jab . its getting back into spain that you may have a problem . they have in recent years needed a titra result on the blood test papers .
i had my dog rabied jabbed this year for 33,57 that was july .
did you not have the blood test done awhile ago. after the first jabs . mind they may have stopped them by then i suppose.

No like an idiot I didn't, not expecting to leave the EU! Then three months later, along came the 2013 Morocco thread, and the rest, as they say, is history!

And can someone tell me how the ferry companies and the chunnel can justify charging for an animal that is going to stay in my van and not put a step outside of it! Grrrr! :swear:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No like an idiot I didn't, not expecting to leave the EU! Then three months later, along came the 2013 Morocco thread, and the rest, as they say, is history!

And can someone tell me how the ferry companies and the chunnel can justify charging for an animal that is going to stay in my van and not put a step outside of it! Grrrr! :swear:

Someone has to pass you the scanner through the window to scan the chip :ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
on the spanish run there are kennels and a walking area . there is a cafe on that deck on one pont avon i think . mind my old dog that had to be put down earlier this year hated the kennels . she just wanted to be left in the truck . well the trailer was her home for most of her life . she would have been 15 in two weeks time . bet not many dogs have raveled as much as she had ,
think it was about 8 yrs ago spain got hot on the blood tests . it was just after an outbreak of rabies in france . untill then they never bothered . mind i have years ago got proper health certificates etc done in maroc . as said blacky left uk before the passport scheme so i didnt want to take any chances . then she had to stay 6 months in europe after leaving maroc before coming back into uk.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Just a heads up for folk who are taking their dogs with them to Morocco.

I contacted my vet about the blood test that was needed and was re-directed to DEFRA as the vet was not sure which blood test was needed.

While talking to DEFRA I was advised that Storm's rabies jab had to be less than 12 months and more than 30 days in order to get into Morocco. Morocco do not accept the 3 year rabies jab.

Storm is going for her boosters etc. on Wednesday and will then have her blood test done next month. A bit of bummer, but hey ho - her rabies would have been done 14 months before she travelled! Another £50.00 down the drain, followed by about £80.00 for the blood test.

Just thought you should know!

We are thinking of doing the Morocco trip too with our dog Jess. I also asked our local vet and was referred to Defra. Jess was blood tested when she was first rabies vaccinated 3 years ago and is due for a booster in December. When I checked with Defra I was told that as long as her boosters were up to date and had not lapsed then the blood test was still valid, so no further blood test required just the rabies booster.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We are thinking of doing the Morocco trip too with our dog Jess. I also asked our local vet and was referred to Defra. Jess was blood tested when she was first rabies vaccinated 3 years ago and is due for a booster in December. When I checked with Defra I was told that as long as her boosters were up to date and had not lapsed then the blood test was still valid, so no further blood test required just the rabies booster.

yes thats right . if you have had a blood test you need a copy of the result . keep it with the dogs passport .
if you havent got it ask the vet they will have .
unfortunately new dogs dont have the test for the eu. but you do need it .just incase they ask . they might not ,it is spain .
remember maroc isnt in eu so its only the maroc /spanish border you will /may need it .

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Will some one put this in plain English
Our mut has
Passport and chip just done
Rabies shot just done
All normal boosters to be done next week
Blood test to be arranged
Travel date 1 jan
Country's
France Spain Morocco Portugal Spain France back to uk end march
What do we need to do next if anything
We can not afford for anything to go wrong as Elaine will linch me

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
at one time all dogs needed a blood test to get into uk. well since 2.000.
6-8 yrs ago spain started looking for a blood test for dogs coming into spain from morocco.
as a uk dog mine had one .
now the uk dont require dogs from eu to have blood tests from other eu countries .
but spain requires them for dogs from morocco as morocco isnt eu.
you may be asked for it at the port tangiers, ceuta or in spain at the port on entry .
certainly i have been asked for it when entering ceuta from morocco.
i havent used the new tangier port .
but be safe get a blood test done have the certificate or a copy . i wouldnt risk it .
if your still confused pm me i will let you have my tel number .

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
Don't think you will need anything more than you've got/getting - my problem is that I didn't have the blood test originally, so have to start at the begining re the rabies jab.

So as long as your rabies jab is not older than 12 months and it was done more than 30 days before you travel, you shouldn't have a problem.

It's a bit of a minefield - just so glad I phoned DEFRA - would have been in a real pickle if I hadn't checked the rabies jab date!

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
the bit about sending forms somewhere with a cheque for $33 is a bit odd. I was not advised that anything more than the passport, valid rabies and a blood test was required.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what do you expect its a yank site . load of rubbish as far as i,m concerned and i have been taking my old dog in and out even before the passport scheme .

booboo

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
slovenia
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
i am a newbie
It may be best to ring/email the embassy just to make sure, laws change all the time, as two of my dogs are banned in certain counties I always ring the embassies first and then get them to email me their response and print it out and carry it with me!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its not getting dogs into morocco thats a problem . its getting them back into spain . lots every year are taken .
but yes get in touch with the embassy if you feel you must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back