2014 - MOROCCO .. All posts here now please.. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thank you lots of good information, just wondering if we will need a Morocco regulator to fit the Moroccan gas bottles and if so can they be purchased when we get the gas.
See you are leaving UK Dover 2/1/14 that is the date we are thinking of going just waiting on the code from the NEC. :Smile:

Hi Carol, Moroccan regulators are the same fitting as UK Calor butane and German bottles. Left hand female fitting. If you have a UK Calor regulator take that, otherwise Moroccan regulators are available everywhere.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
scroll down to 8807,
its the same as the old butane reg uk used . still does on some dumpy bottles i think .
you can buy them allover morocco though .
very similar used in france and germany as well.
best take one though then you have it .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dave ,newer uk butane tend to be a clip on . 20-21mm clip on . calor is the 21mm .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
dave ,newer uk butane tend to be a clip on . 20-21mm clip on . calor is the 21mm .

Sorry Al, I don't understand "new", am old school ::bigsmile:. Have loads of the things here. Just about every regulator ever produced. Am still using a Moroccan bottle to power the oven and fridge in my garage. You know of course that they can be filled here :winky:.
I know that Calor have now got round to putting push on regulators on there bottles, but as far as I am concerned they are a few years too late :ROFLMAO:.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I found this when I was looking last year,,,,
http://www.nomadic-one.com/reflect/spanish-and-portuguese-gas-bottle-system

My understanding is that if you have a bulkhead regulator fitted already on the van using UK Butane bottles, Just unscrew the clip on adaptor from the pigtail and this will screw direct onto the Moroccan bottle. The regulator on the van will sort out the pressure..

I never tried it as we only did a month and never used that much gas...

As the experienced guys have said, no issues you can easily get sorted over there..

This is what I have set up. Carry 1 UK and 1 Spanish bottle.. In theory, unscrew the adaptor and use Moroccan bottle as above....
http://s447.photobucket.com/user/staffs1959/library/Apache 700 mods/Apache 700 gas locker

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must admit i have a few 21mm to old reg adaptors and usually adapt camping gas to it as well. saves keep changing regs .

i use the 21mm and the camping gas adaptor . mind always keep a spare reg .

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I Hope ebay

is the Moroc regulator. Coz I've just ordered one.

That looks like it will fit there bottles Brian. Wont do for me though as I run at 50 millibar. I still have the German regulators.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I have just been reading another post on fun and snow chains came up
If I plan to travel January though France Spain and possibly Portugal into Morocco returning home end march
Will I have to legally or practically need snow chains
Do I need winter tyres
Just trying to think ahead for a change :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have just been reading another post on fun and snow chains came up
If I plan to travel January though France Spain and possibly Portugal into Morocco returning home end march
Will I have to legally or practically need snow chains
Do I need winter tyres
Just trying to think ahead for a change :thumb:

No legal requirement for snow chains. Main roads in France and Spain are kept clear as they are anywhere else in Europe. If the roads are so bad that you need to be chained up, then its safer to park up and wait for the snow plough.

OP
OP
tonka

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If it was my thread about somport tunnel...
2 years ago we travelled down in late January on route to the Marjal rally.
Decided to take the somport as weather seemed ok, as we approached the last 15km to the border / tunnel it was snowing.. Only lightly but enough to make consider about what to do re turning back.. As we passed through one of the small villages there was a roadsign placed out.. My best translation of it, especially as it had a big wheel with a snow chain on it !! was that snow chains were compulsory to carry..

If your sticking to the main route via Biaritz and Irun then should be no issues..

Did you like the picture where the snow was higher than the van :winky: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forget snow chains, pack more bacon....:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bacon and loads more chedder cheese is the answer .
with bacon and chedder you can stop for days .
and annoy all the other folk with the smell of it cooking . ha ha .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I guess everyone knows this site but no harm in looking how other less adventurous folk do it. Some of Ray's maps are on show and he'll not mind you taking a peek.

The music is good !

Link Removed

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Beginning to make plans, just wondering which credit/debit cards to take and are any better than others re. charges etc. or any other suggestions.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Beginning to make plans, just wondering which credit/debit cards to take and are any better than others re. charges etc. or any other suggestions.

Many outlets do not take credit/debit cards and will only take cash. The cheapest way I know of getting cash in Morocco is the Caxton Global traveller, which is a pre load card.
I use the nationwide credit card for purchases that can be made by card as there is no charge on it.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:Smile:Can't help with credit cards Carol. Am sure someone will be along shortly to do so...

but re other suggestions as asked ..... yes, you could take a friend with you and Eddie ......:RollEyes: .... no trouble, house-trained, blonde, 5' 3", etc

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No

Hello Carol,

We used cash mainly and carried Euros to exchange if/when needed at banks. We also used a Lloyds debit card inside a bank (hole in the wall) and it went through as you would expect. Visa, MasterCard are widely accepted in the main towns/cities and Caxton which we pre - load with Euros before we left Spain.

We bought Dirhams as soon as we passed through customs there are a few Bureaux de Changes - you need to check the rates carefully as they vary. If I remember correctly, Bureaux de Changes inside the customs building were a better rate.

Advise your bank or card issuer that you intend to travel abroad so that no block will be put on the usage of your credit cards and give them a 'phone number where you can be contacted abroad if urgent. We also photocopy our credit cards and add urgent telephone numbers. :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you use the Caxton FX Global Traveller, you can pre load with sterling in the UK and get Dirams out of the hole in the wall in Morocco. Caxton charge a 2% handling fee. Do not confuse this card with the Caxton FX Europe Traveller.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i just go into a bank with a credit /debit card . better to go inside as sometimes they eat your card in the hole in the walls . at least if you go in you get the card back. the marjane supermarkets nearly all have change places in them . they give reasonable exchange rates .
you can get dirhams at carlos,s place but usually best not get too many there . but handy to drive on at the border and get fuel.

Arnica

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
Bolton le Sands Carnforth
Funster No
MH
Geist Touring 652 C Class
Exp
Nine years
Cash Flow

Santander Bank issue a Zero credit card which as the name suggests does not charge interest on transactions providing you pay of the balance at the end of the charge period ::bigsmile: This can be used in the major supermarkets you will find in large towns and cities. In other cases you will need cash, particularly at garages for your fuel.

If you have a Zero current account with Santander Bank you can also obtain commission free cash on the Zero Debit card providing your account is in balance ::bigsmile:

Halifax offer a Clarity card which allows you to obtain commission free cash also ::bigsmile:

As mentioned elsewhere be sure to inform your provider of your travel destinations to ensure you have continuity of service. A trolley load of goods and no means of paying for it could be very embarrassing.:Blush:

No pockets shrouds, spend it :thumb:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Quite extraordinary!!

Best part of 3 months to go and this thread is heading towards 10,000 hits...... any offers on how many by the time we all get back ?

Regards, Bryan

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Quite extraordinary!!

Best part of 3 months to go and this thread is heading towards 10,000 hits...... any offers on how many by the time we all get back ?

Regards, Bryan

Don't forget the other 2014 post that I started in February god knows how many on there
I have a sneaky feeling this is going to be big
big

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011

Norwich and Peterborough current account.

When I set it up the requirement was to pay in a minimum of £500 per month. There are no fees for use of the debit card for drawing cash from ATMs or purchases.

I did not close my regular account just set up a standing order to pay myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back