DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Good morning all, it was a bit blowy to say the least last night, but no worse than the Monday night as I arrived

It was very odd though in the middle of the night the wind appeared to stop completely, but I could still hear it a bit, but that might have been waves on the beach thinking about it. There must be a certain wind speed where it is high enough to rock the MH

Glad I turned round last night though, even with that it was a real battle with the door last night, then another battle trying to persuade Lola to go out

Today looks quite bright, worst winds are forecast for tonight, I am going to stick it out for another couple of nights, the bar is open on Fridays, still not sure about Chocolate Mountain, going to have a walk to there today to see if open

Some years ago when we came up with our caravan there was a large project to refurbish a large house / hotel right on the beach by the golf course, I am intrigued about that progress, so will walk over and have a look. It would make a beautiful location but very exposed to the elements although in a bit of a bay. will photograph and report back on their progress, or lack of

Thank you for your interest and concerns for me, if it were really bad I would have moved on (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just hope you don't have a beach up wind of you. I parked for a few hours behind a beach in Cornwall last year, facing into a gale. Later I discovered the entire engine compartment was coated in sand. Had to Dyson it all out.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just watched the local Scottish news, looks like areas around Glasgow are really getting battered, it is positively calm up here right now

IMG_0139.JPG

Didn't fancy the golf though

IMG_0145.JPG

I am not the best of players, but this is the first hole up over the hill in front, directly into the wind, I would take a few to get to the ladies tee :LOL:

IMG_0147.JPG

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just hope you don't have a beach up wind of you. I parked for a few hours behind a beach in Cornwall last year, facing into a gale. Later I discovered the entire engine compartment was coated in sand. Had to Dyson it all out.

Nearest sand is about 150 feet below me and thankfully even then up wind, although the wind has moved around through 180 degrees a few times this week already

I think the sand is too wet to get this high anyway :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Nearest sand is about 150 feet below me and thankfully even then up wind, although the wind has moved around through 180 degrees a few times this week already

I think the sand is too wet to get this high anyway
:)
Are you going to confirm that to us in the morning?:)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Just watched the local Scottish news, looks like areas around Glasgow are really getting battered, it is positively calm up here right now

View attachment 51807

Didn't fancy the golf though

View attachment 51808

I am not the best of players, but this is the first hole up over the hill in front, directly into the wind, I would take a few to get to the ladies tee :LOL:

View attachment 51809

Wish I was with you(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Now then, I mentioned a house being redeveloped earlier, we last saw it with scaffold all round about 5 years ago, it had a notice about a hotel development, the sort of thing that when on holiday you think we could do something like this and what a place to do it in

Totally unrealistic thoughts, but I find holidays do that, not only do we have zero hotel running experience, we have nowhere near enough funds to even buy the place let alone do it up

But this is it today

IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0142.JPG

still a beautiful location, but still nearly derelict, just been talking to the site owner, 2 local brothers were doing it and had a massive fall out

When we first saw it I think it was September and relatively warm, seeing it again today I love the wildness, up to a point

and still don't have anywhere near enough money anyway and its not even for sale

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
still a beautiful location, but still nearly derelict, just been talking to the site owner, 2 local brothers were doing it and had a massive fall out

When we first saw it I think it was September and relatively warm, seeing it again today I love the wildness, up to a point

and still don't have anywhere near enough money anyway and its not even for sale

That looks almost habitable - it has a roof on at least!

Hotel work is hard work - even on the management side it's a 24 / 7 job.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We once lived in a derelict whilst renovating rebuilding a couple of places. These days we wouldn't have been able to raise a mortgage due to the state of the places but back then it was easier to borrow even against places that weren't really habitable.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
1:00 am update

well I have never really been sea sick, but to be honest don't think I have ever been on a boat and rocked around quite as much as we are right now, feel decidedly queasy right now

Just checked the BBC weather, wind is peaking around now till 2:00, so hopefully will calm down soon, I don't think we are in any danger. I got lucky with realignment, we are absolutely head on into the wind, if not I dread to think how much rocking we would be doing

Much less wind from tomorrow and some more snow forecast, definitely had enough wind for one trip now, starting trip south on Saturday, presuming not snowed in :D(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
(y)#
Morning - have the pair of you survived intact?;)

Good morning all, just getting up, a long night, but apart from queasiness and severe buffeting, nothing to report

Today will hopefully be a day when I get some photos of rough sea, but probably only shots I can take without going out, so get ready for several similar views

I have today found out I was pointing my iBooost at the wrong booster mast, apparently I winter they only use the one on the office, internet speed had been amazing anyway really, considering my location, but in theory will be better now

Just done a test got 6.5Mb/sec download 71 Mb/sec upload, I have no idea what that means, but considering it is a wifi signal, it seems to work well ;)(y)

It is 2C here with strong breeze still, occasional snow / hail and still not fully light so no photos for a while yet

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Morning David, as I said in PM serious stuff for Thurs into Fri. Windspeeds expected for you 70 + . On a nautical theme 63 - 73 Violent storm, anything over 73 - Hurricane :Eeek:

Take your pick ! and in the dark it seems to multiply things.

I would have gone up close to the toilet blocks to break the brunt of it, not sure about how long your hook up cable is.
Anyway a lot of snow South of you ie. between you and Inverness, The East coast route thro Elgin Aberdeen might be a safer route for a retreat. Been floods here in Dumfries, your parking spot 3ft of water yesterday. If you do want a stop round here, plenty of room on my drive, hook up, hot showers and Bunnahabvain available:whistle2:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Just done a test got 6.5Mb/sec download 71 Mb/sec upload, I have no idea what that means, but considering it is a wifi signal, it seems to work well
They will be the other way around David and yes that is as good as home broadband. It will be much slower with more people online at once though.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Hey David - have only just caught up on your trip - and have decided you are the Bear Grylls of the motorhome!
Enjoy the cold and stay safe - and keep the pics coming. Stunning trip - not bad for an old retired bloke on his own:p
.........be time for you to become a blogger soon!
BD & J.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning David, as I said in PM serious stuff for Thurs into Fri. Windspeeds expected for you 70 + . On a nautical theme 63 - 73 Violent storm, anything over 73 - Hurricane :Eeek:

Take your pick ! and in the dark it seems to multiply things.

I would have gone up close to the toilet blocks to break the brunt of it, not sure about how long your hook up cable is.
Anyway a lot of snow South of you ie. between you and Inverness, The East coast route thro Elgin Aberdeen might be a safer route for a retreat. Been floods here in Dumfries, your parking spot 3ft of water yesterday. If you do want a stop round here, plenty of room on my drive, hook up, hot showers and Bunnahabvain available:whistle2:

Morning Allan

Thanks for your concerns, site only has electrics connected to the posts along the fence, all the others have been isolated for winter, I have decided that a mains connection out trumped the buffeting, todays winds are predicted 20+ mph less than last night and positively calm by tonight, which is my last night here

You are right that in the dark it does seem an awful lot worse

Saw your floods on the news, I thought it was our car park in the pictures, amazing how it can come up so high there

Great offer of a pitch (y) really appreciate that, but am going down A1, got a business call to make, but might try and get out of it, will let you know on that next week

Will be looking at my route options later, I came up via Ullapool, which was not too bad, was planning on turning right out of campsite then heading down through Lairg, going back to Grantown for a few nights, still got the Crested Tit to try and see :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
They will be the other way around David and yes that is as good as home broadband. It will be much slower with more people online at once though.

when I was talking to Highland wifi with connection problems he said they only have 4 permanent users in Durness, their market is campers, implying there must be broadband in the village, that's good going if there is, or maybe they just don't need it :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hey David - have only just caught up on your trip - and have decided you are the Bear Grylls of the motorhome!
Enjoy the cold and stay safe - and keep the pics coming. Stunning trip - not bad for an old retired bloke on his own:p
.........be time for you to become a blogger soon!
BD & J.

Cheers Dave :D

Haven't really looked at the blog options yet, I think you are right these long threads may not be welcome on the forum, but I tend not to go into blogs very often, but do read this kind of report

Been sat here for 4 nights now, ready to move on, Aurora options are about zero, even if they happen it is much too cloudy, so heading south tomorrow, new roads, new photos, new possibilities (y)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp

Haven't really looked at the blog options yet, I think you are right these long threads may not be welcome on the forum, but I tend not to go into blogs very often, but do read this kind of report
No no no - they're great on the forum !
Trip reports are my favourite threads.
And it's great to still feel 'connected' and get updates and ideas from the other members, and to know we are enjoying the trip with the author.
A personal blog just allows you to keep your own 'diary' and all in one place is all - I set one up last week in prep for our retirement !
I think you should too! Speak to Gromett(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

As BD says, I think these trip reports are invaluable for giving us ideas for future visits and of course to live the perils others are suffering from the comfort of home! It can also be a two way thing, with suggestions from the congregation, so to speak, for places near you to visit. I found this particularly helpful on my Spanish trip last year.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Been out to take a few photos, got conned into thinking a bit of sun might relate to warmer, or at least not as cold. Now I am going to do some internet research into chill factors, it is still 2C here, blowing pretty well, but as for what the temperature really felt like, many degrees below, survival rate outside really would not be long.

IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0171.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG

A little taster of how rough it is, but as before it looks far more impressive face to face

That platform must be there for summer visitors (and Lola) but a great vantage point

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Lola looks like a dog being told to sit nicely and look pretty for the camera..........and all she wants to do is go back into the warm MH.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back