Durness it is, decision made (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Pondered options for Europe, but have decided the top of Scotland it will be [again]

partly based on this

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/D...9025d4c6a7de07f!2m2!1d0.199556!2d48.00611!3e0

now while I am here, can anybody tell me how I could have shown that as an image rather than a link,

To save you opening it, it is a google route option from home Bolsover to Durness, then I chose a similar distance south from us, it only gets us as far as Le Mans

That finally made my mind up, we love France, but equally love Scotland, to get to France we have the added cost of the tunnel, then a good chance of the weather being more typical of English type miserable weather, whereas top of Scotland will hopefully be cold and crisp, snow on the mountains, proper winter

Add in the temptation of driving further south in search of sunnier weather, it had to be Scotland to retain sensible use of retirement funds before retirement age!!

So setting off on Wednesday for three weeks away, taking motorway route up to Perth, then A9 to Aviemore, for Grantown on Spey for a few nights, a couple of overnights en route not sure where yet

Then on up to Durness for a few nights, the site there [Sango Sands] is closed, but never shut, the owner leys any comers on for free, or £7 with electrics, access to water and dump, what more could you ask for

I will update here with our progress as we get going and hopefully some stunning photographic views

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
now while I am here, can anybody tell me how I could have shown that as an image rather than a link,

save as a screen shot with snipping tool, then upload to Fun or an on-line host

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    728.7 KB · Views: 32

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Remember to top up with fuel (Inverness?) before heading on northwards. Believe one of the current cheapest options for diesel is Morrisons in Milburn Road about 1/2 mile off A9 at Raigmore however this is taking you towards the town centre.
Tesco Extra at West Seafield is probably (from memory) a bitty easier but a penny, or so, dearer.
upload_2015-1-4_14-34-47.png

Price can be "excessive" the further north you go.
Have a great time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Remember to top up with fuel (Inverness?) before heading on northwards. Believe one of the current cheapest options for diesel is Morrisons in Milburn Road about 1/2 mile off A9 at Raigmore however this is taking you towards the town centre.
Tesco Extra at West Seafield is probably (from memory) a bitty easier but a penny, or so, dearer.
View attachment 50910
Price can be "excessive" the further north you go.
Have a great time.

Thanks for the reminder, we go up past Inverness most years and I always have to remember to turn left before the bridge, usually go to a BP garage down there a bit

Remember once [first time] I think, when tugging trundled past Inverness, then there was nothing for miles and miles

Then once on return, computer on car said 120 miles, enough for Perth, by the top of the hill out of Inverness the fuel light was on, fuel is not easy to find once past Aviemore

Much more cautious now, but also older / wiser :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Jim and Andy, will have a go at it myself next time

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Now what do you make of this, as Bev is still working I was going on my own, but Bev fancied having a few days away at either end of the three weeks, looked at public transport options

Fly Inverness to Manchester £42

Coach Aviemore to Chesterfield £16

Train Aviemore to Chesterfield £162

Bit of added transport hassle with the flight option but only 90 minutes

As for the train, what are they on, but for that matter how can you drive a bus 400 miles for the money, I have never seen one even half full

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can of course add images this way: http://goo.gl/maps/g5SQk
Which wasn't the question but it shows the destination! Or more specifically the Durness Information Centre.

There is also a way of embedding maps using the Google API generator, but this is a bit beyond me although I got the map below to display - but I wouldn't claim to be an expert. You can add routes etc to the image as well.

staticmap

Last edited:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
When you get to Inverness go down the slip road before the bridge A96 to Elgin and a few hundred yards you will come to another roundabout and large Tesco diesel £1.147 litre from memory then just head back in round the 1st round about snd you are back on the A9

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Madness ain't it?
I had to get up north urgently a couple of years ago from Cornwall (Him Indoors ended up being Him In Hospital on Skye) and by far the cheapest way was to fly to London then to Inverness. (3 days on a coach wasn't really an option...)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
By the way... Have a brilliant trip!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi
When you get to Inverness go down the slip road before the bridge A96 to Elgin and a few hundred yards you will come to another roundabout and large Tesco diesel £1.147 litre from memory then just head back in round the 1st round about snd you are back on the A9
That's the one I was thinking on rather than Morrisons. Used to fill up there when up in Nairn.

aandj

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic Campervan
Exp
If using the A9? Always remember to tank up in Stirling or Perth too, as there aren`t any fuel stations on the A9, its a special agreement the scottish councils and goverment have with the villages to help businesses in villages along the A9. The agreement is that there will never be any motorway style services along the A9 between Perth and Inverness.
On a side note, part of the delays for the large new Tescos in Aviemore was that they wanted a fuel garage, but they refused it to protect the current garage in the village, Tesco gave up i believe and are starting it now. Otherwise they would have another derelict closed garage in the village overnight.
Plenty in villages on the A9 along the way if you know where to find them? but only open daytimes.
Actually found plenty of fuel past Inverness and ironically cheaper than at home? ha
Great one down the road at Achilitibuie stores just past Port a Baigh campsite at Altandhu.
We always set off in the early hours and do the M6 and the lakes in the dark and get past Glasgow before traffic, then stop at Perth, at the last roundabout we get breakfast at Tisso outdoors shop on the left of the last roundabout where you join the A9 north.
We get fuel either at Stirling or Perth.
If heading west then again set off and head west on the A84/85 from Stirling past Crieff and Calendar to Cranlarich and the Green welly stop avoiding Glasgow and Loch Lomond, its 30 miles further but actually quicker as you can cruise better and faster and not get stuck behind trafic and buses round Loch Lomond.
Green welly stop is the last fuel again before Glencoe or head west towards Oban and take the scenic coast road up to Glencoe and Fort William?
So many choices and routes.
Andy

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Now what do you make of this, as Bev is still working I was going on my own, but Bev fancied having a few days away at either end of the three weeks, looked at public transport options

Bit of added transport hassle with the flight option but only 90 minutes

As for the train, what are they on, but for that matter how can you drive a bus 400 miles for the money, I have never seen one even half full

Daughter was a student at UHI and based on Lewis for two years. It was always cheaper to fly from Stornoway to either Inverness (some classes there) or to Edinburgh or Glasgow than even bus and ferry as she got a frequent flier discount.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If using the A9? Always remember to tank up in Stirling or Perth too, as there aren`t any fuel stations on the A9, its a special agreement the scottish councils and goverment have with the villages to help businesses in villages along the A9. The agreement is that there will never be any motorway style services along the A9 between Perth and Inverness.
On a side note, part of the delays for the large new Tescos in Aviemore was that they wanted a fuel garage, but they refused it to protect the current garage in the village, Tesco gave up i believe and are starting it now. Otherwise they would have another derelict closed garage in the village overnight.
Plenty in villages on the A9 along the way if you know where to find them? but only open daytimes.
Actually found plenty of fuel past Inverness and ironically cheaper than at home? ha
Great one down the road at Achilitibuie stores just past Port a Baigh campsite at Altandhu.
We always set off in the early hours and do the M6 and the lakes in the dark and get past Glasgow before traffic, then stop at Perth, at the last roundabout we get breakfast at Tisso outdoors shop on the left of the last roundabout where you join the A9 north.
We get fuel either at Stirling or Perth.
If heading west then again set off and head west on the A84/85 from Stirling past Crieff and Calendar to Cranlarich and the Green welly stop avoiding Glasgow and Loch Lomond, its 30 miles further but actually quicker as you can cruise better and faster and not get stuck behind trafic and buses round Loch Lomond.
Green welly stop is the last fuel again before Glencoe or head west towards Oban and take the scenic coast road up to Glencoe and Fort William?
So many choices and routes.
Andy

Thanks Andy. I hadn't realised the reason, just the absence of fuel shops on A9.

I seem to recall the BP garage in Aviemore was shut last January when we last went through.

I have fuel stops in mind, but will fill up at Auchterader then Inverness after stopping at Grantown

Bird watching is one of main reasons for going up, hope to see one of the smallest and biggest, crested tit common [ish] around Grantown, then a decent view of a Golden Eagle and Sea Eagle, hopefully while further up

Really looking forward to it, leave Wednesday morning

and Aurora possibilities are on the up, some recent solar activity with views from Scotland (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
aurora activity.png

and I have copied a picture not just a link

not totally sure quite how but it is a start (y):)

yellow gives small chance of a sighting in the very north and west of Scotland, amber is better, red very rare and I could probably see it from Derbyshire

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
never yet managed a crested tit, we keep trying though

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just watch the wind on the bridges, I think it is forecast to get up a bit later in the week.

You should have a great time.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Have a great time, Granton on Spey definitely on my list to do this year, also hoping to do Sky. I've been to Durness by car when we hired a cottage on Stoer peninsular.(y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have a good time and I hope you have clear skies for any Northern Lights. But take a good torch, only about 8 hours daylight up there at this time of the year!

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Grantown is a great site and a 5 min walk into town and the local chippie will deliver to the site if you fancy a carry out
Enjoy your trip, was planning Grantown this coming weekend but now heading to fortwilliam to hopefully get some decent sun sets them down to Loch Lomond

Devon beekeeper getting lighter all the time

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Grantown is a great site and a 5 min walk into town and the local chippie will deliver to the site if you fancy a carry out
Enjoy your trip, was planning Grantown this coming weekend but now heading to fortwilliam to hopefully get some decent sun sets them down to Loch Lomond

Devon beekeeper getting lighter all the time

we did Grantown last January as well, seriously cold then. but better than rain

I plan a couple of days out at Lossiemouth, looks nice, particularly if Aurora chances pick up could be a good spot

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
You can wild camp on the west beach which is where most go for Aurora or if a member of britstops then beach bar is good and you park behind bar facing north so also ok for Aurora
Sure they would let you stop overnight even if not a member
Let me know if you stop over as only 10mins from mine and if Im about I could drop past and say hello

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
so just doing final packing, went to check emails and got this

AuroraWatch UK amber alert, 2015-01-07 09:26:01UT. AuroraWatchNet. Lancaster #1, England..

--
http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

an amber alert means a pretty good chance of viewing an aurorae from Scotland

It of course presumes 2 things

1. I get there in time, virtually no chance

2. Clear skies, looking at the forecast, virtually no chance

but I am going to three weeks, so heres hoping

Will update later, setting off with no overnight for tonight planned, made a mistake in calling work, they want something dropping off in Kendal, so that determines my route in England at least, should be approaching Tebay when it goes dark, I have heard there is an option there on the Kendal road to 'wild' (free) park

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
good luck with the aurora - piccies required
upload_2015-1-7_10-15-37.jpeg
[this pic stolen from google just to whet your appetite]

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Good luck David, I've always wanted to see the aurora, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you..clear sky's, sunny days.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
WOW that sounds brilliant, will watch to see how you get on , are you taking your beautiful dog with you.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes, have a good time and hope you get clear skies and an aurora. Looking at the weather forecast I suggest not using the awning for the next few days! Force 10 on Friday morning at Durness. :eek:

Coincidently, I've been subscribed to the auroroa website for about 6 months now and this morning got my first e-mail warning of the amber alert. Trouble is I am about umpteen hundred miles too far south!
rolling.png

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
That spectacular night last winter was on an amber alert!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back