Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Another dogism I have just recalled when chatting to Bev about the day

Stopped at a place called Contin for a leg stretch for us both, it is a Forestry Commission car park, like most they have several walk options with markers, chose a quick one mile option as it looked pretty black above. Got about 3/4 round came across a fallen tree right across the path, Lola went up a bank to the side and came back down, I went up calling her to come, she stood and watched me like I was daft. At the top of the bank I could then see about 10 trees all across the path and intertwined, there was no way through or round.

Now Lola never went high enough to see what I did and could she really make that kind of decision so quickly

Its a bit like having Bev here still, she would have known that without looking :D

So run back the 3/4 mile back to MH, just in time to see it start snowing (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Terry

You would be proud of me Terry, thought my door was broken today, the hab door wouldn't close, a bolt was catching on the frame, found I could push it in enough to push past frame, but that was no good from the inside

I had tried a good slam, but that only dented the frame, (OK so you wont reckon much to that bit) :D

Then realised that the bolt is threaded, did it back up and all fixed, so went from thinking my Hartal door needed replacing, to fixing for free in a few minutes (y)

Just lucky the bolt didn't fall off in the dark, for such a small thing I don't think the door would shut without it :)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
David, glad you got to Durness safely, I have enjoyed reading your posts. Is there any shelter where you are because the forecast is for very high winds on Wednesday.
I do hope you get to see the northern lights, you deserve to after that journey.
Going to Kinlochbervie in May so we might call in to Durness.
Stopped over for a night at Contin last year, little site on the left next to the river.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
M

Madwife

Deleted User
dogs just know!

Glad you got there safely and really enjoyed the pictures today.

kath

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
dogs just know!

Glad you got there safely and really enjoyed the pictures today.

kath

Thanks Kath

I have seen a few references to your travels, sounds like you are having a decent time yourselves

Look forward to meeting up and swapping tales :)

M

Madwife

Deleted User
re the Hartl habitation door - ours does that on a frequent basis - its usually temperature related and a real nuisance. Howie, like you, thought we needed a new door when it first happened but luckily some other funsters told him how to adjust the catches and problem solved until the next temperature change!

Kath

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David, glad you got to Durness safely, I have enjoyed reading your posts. Is there any shelter where you are because the forecast is for very high winds on Wednesday.
I do hope you get to see the northern lights, you deserve to after that journey.
Going to Kinlochbervie in May so we might call in to Durness.

Shelter :D:D:D:D:D

I will add some photos tomorrow, but the local forecast says winds dropping

It had gone quite calm, but blowing up and bouncing us around a bit now and snowing

I am confident :whistle:

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Thanks Kath

I have seen a few references to your travels, sounds like you are having a decent time yourselves

Look forward to meeting up and swapping tales :)

LOL, yes we have had an interesting time! problem with the leisure batteries and both had to be replaced, then fridge stopped working so with aid of another motorhomer and the owner of the site Howie stripped down the burner and got it working again. Now the control panel is telling us that the batteries are not charging and then they are fully charged!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily we have had a lot of sun and the solar panel is working well putting in at least 30 amp hours. Add to that the problem with the satellite and the over tightened cable - I am now hoping that is all the excitement over for this trip!

Kath

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Madwife

you really should have written it down fir us to 'enjoy' with you :LOL:

as already admitted I don't do technical, but 30Amps out of solar panels sounds like an awful lot in winter, even in Portugal, if right that might be a problem (y)

Last edited:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We are enjoying you posts David and the pictures are fantastic. Bringing back a lot of memories for us Thankyou . regards Kate Bill & Amanda

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
David...loving reading this thread (thank you for sharing)...and green with envy at the journey & views! As a newbie Ive still loads to learn..and as Ive already discovered it can sometimes be overwhelming when you're on your own...with you in spirit there..with all my fingers crossed that maybe I'll do the same journey one day! Albeit, if Im lucky, it may be in mh convoy cos I don't think my big girl pants are big enough for the solo journey you're doing just yet:ROFLMAO:...but for all your brave efforts, I do so hope you see the northern lights..enjoy! :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning all

Disturbed night to say the least, really glad I had not got up here for last weekends storms, MH parked with assistance from site owner to minimise the wind effects, facing NNE, with the winds currently coming from the west, at least protects the door when opening

Wind really does come and go a lot though seems to really pick up when it snows or hails as we had a lot of last night, then that does batter the MH

Forecast is for gales but not storm force, snow over the middle of Scotland, so moving here today would probably not have happened, so overall glad I came up yesterday, I don't mind a bit of buffeting, don't mind the snow, don't mind cold (within reason) and presuming the heating is working well, but chill factor

A ship sheltered in the bay last night, gone today, now that is somewhere I would not want to be this week

IMG_0101.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I know I'm a whittle arse but after seeing the next few days forecast I'd have to move the mh further away from the edge :D

Great pics once again(y)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Looks beautiful David, hope you've got plenty of supplies in? Would Lola be any good as a sledge dog?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Woke up at 8 this morning, it was lashing hail down and blowing a hoolie (?spelling) actually we have whatever come next up the scale from a hoolie

Anyway, came down to Lolas end, had a word with her, then opened door, she gave me one of her looks without even moving her head that said you are joking aren't you? and looked the other way :D

She does like walking tin the wind though and did come out with me at 9.30, great bladder control, I envy her

IMG_0108.JPG

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I think you are in the same spot I parked, though better weather :) I can almost hear the wind and wave with you. Enjoy, and hope the weather clears so you have a chance to the aurora Should be a good place to see it from there :)

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Fantastic spot, great photos thanks for sharing, hope you went for a early morning swim. (y)

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Absolutely stunning photographs, feel as if we are there with you. This is on my list to do. Stay safe.

Jay

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning all, nothing much new to report, no where near as windy today and not so much snow / hail over night, in fact only just woken up it has been so quiet

Had a chat with site owner last night, there is a military exercise due on Cape Wrath from Thursday involving several NATO countries, on land and sea, sounds interesting, apparently they have brought our army back from training in Norway as it was tougher here, might be a bit of tongue in cheek there, but it must be tough out there

No new photos as yet, nothing has really changed, small thaw overnight, or the snow has blown away not really sure which, it is 2C this morning, but with chill factor it still feels like minus lots

Actually the sun is looking like it might make it above the mountains, may get some better light today for photos, going to Smoo Cave, will photo that at least

Watching weather, forecast is not brilliant for Thursday, but seems to be worse lower down so might as well sit it out here

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back