YouTube blocking third-party ad-blockers (1 Viewer)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
Recently YouTube has stopped working if I have an Ad blocker running on my PC / Laptop. I don't use a blocker that prevents the adverts that run during the videos as I'm happy the channel creators get a small reward for my ignoring a short interruption but now YouTube is objecting to any blocker.

"Strangely" I am getting YouTube adverts offering a paid upgrade to become ad free. It feels like they blocked 3rd party ad-blockers in order to push their own chargeable upgrade. Is this allowable under UK (or even EU) law?

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I noticed that yesterday, I was also on another site that said the same.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Recently YouTube has stopped working if I have an Ad blocker running on my PC / Laptop. I don't use a blocker that prevents the adverts that run during the videos as I'm happy the channel creators get a small reward for my ignoring a short interruption but now YouTube is objecting to any blocker.

"Strangely" I am getting YouTube adverts offering a paid upgrade to become ad free. It feels like they blocked 3rd party ad-blockers in order to push their own chargeable upgrade. Is this allowable under UK (or even EU) law?
They're following the lead of various other media channels eg, Spotify, Netflix, etc where it's use it for free (or lower cost) with ads or pay a premium cost for the same content but ad free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
if yiu happen to have Evernote then share the video to Evernote. When played it has no ads

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Funny you should say that, I was watching a photography video earlier and thought that ads popped up far more frequently than previously

OP
OP
dna

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
If you’re watching on Firestick use SmartTube, it blocks everything. TubePro does the same on iPads. May be similar apps for PC.
Interesting, I'll have a look at these to see if there is a PC solution. The Ad blocker I was using is an extension to the browser, maybe the firestick / iOS architectures are different

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
One thing to think about is why providers produce a free add blocking viewer. As I use Gmail I set up a separate Gmail account only used for YouTube viewing, that avoids giving them access to my main Gmail account info. Thereafter I’m depending on Apple’s security features and a VPN.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC

There has been a utube video deriding this action. Has anyone noticed that the frequency of ads appears to be increasing too?

Aug 16, 2018
Wilmslow
Funster No
MH
Coach blt, Swift KTS
Exp
Since 2016
I'm not experiencing this. I have Total Adblock from Total AV. This did happen to me a year or so ago though when my AdBlock s/w had expired.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
In firefox it is worth trying this;
Right click on the video you want to watch then click on "Open link in new private window".
Appears to only affect you if you are logged in????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back