Your thoughts please (1 Viewer)

Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
Your experienced thoughts on this please, My son is getting married mid sept near Montfort Sur Argens in the south of France.
We have a recently purchased PPVC and although we spent five weeks and 2500 miles on a NC500 trip have not done a European trip as yet, we are both retired so no time restraints at all really, so can spend max time allowed if required on this road trip.
Option 1= Drive there and back, door to door = 838 miles direct goggle maps route + tolls then wind our way back home closer to the coast.
Option 2 = Drive to Portsmouth then ferry to Bilbao or Santandar at horrendous cost then drive to Montfort Sur Argens = 739 / 790 + tolls then wind our back home closer to the coast.
Any comments much appreciated as currently thinking drive it both ways.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I would not do Option 2 if you want to enjoy France. We kept our boat in Montpellier for over eight years and regularly drove down taking just two days from Portsmouth/Le Havre. Your destination is East of there, but you should have no problems taking a leisurely three or four days.
I would come back westward through Languedoc and up via the Lot Valley.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Holly's mum

Funster
Jan 29, 2017
nr Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Absolutely agree with David and Sally. Take the Chunnel and a nice leisurely drive there and back.

We never use the toll roads and take a more scenic route, as we like to enjoy the journey and have often found some lovely villages and attractions that we would never have found if we were on the toll roads.

We came back via the ferry from Santander when we did a trip to France & Spain 4-5 years ago, never again! Over a day stuck on the ferry! We would much rather drive back through France and come back via the Chunnel.

Which ever way you choose, I am sure you will have a lovely time 😺

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
We've stayed here a few times. English owned and you can catch your supper in the lake and they will cook it for you!
Idyllic.
<Broken link removed>

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
If you are a member of the Camping and Caravan club, you can get 10% off the tunnel.

Holly's mum

Funster
Jan 29, 2017
nr Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If you shop at Tesco, you can get 3 times the value of your clubcard vouchers to use against the tunnel crossing. That's we use our Tesco vouchers for most of the time (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
france is just so easy get the apps on a phone search for sites park4 night camper contact you will never be more than 20 kms away from a place to stay Traffic is far less than here so its comfortable to just meander , you need refilable gas as you cant exchange english bottles in europe
Only planning you need is a ferry or tunnel booking

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you've not driven in Europe before, I would be a bit less ambitious the first day or so, until you get used to it. It's easy, but you have to think about it, especially if not on toll roads, driving through the centre of towns and villages.

OP
OP
Feb 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
PPVC Autocruise Alto
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for the additional comments very much appreciated, I fitted underslung LPG last winter with much help on here from Two on Tour and hopefully solar before sept, LeMans trips in the past so no issue with driving on wrong side / right side of the road.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back