Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are changing providers next week from BT to SSE broadband. Anyone know if we can use the BT you view box which records and play back when we switch providers?
The answer from contacting SSE customer service was, They 'think' it can be used but not sure.

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi have look on this forum it may give you the answer, I think any recordings that where part of your BT package will go but free to air should be ok

Phil

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you Phil. Very helpful Just what I was looking for

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Dont you have to return any BT equipment they sent you when you leave ?
They have become more forceful on return of hubs lately even when updating units .

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We paid for the recording box. That was an extra.

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi this is a statement from BT website

Will my YouView box from BT work if I decide to leave BT?

Hi Everyone,
From time to time we see questions coming up on the forum from customers wanting to know if their BT TV box will work, if they cancel their BT TV subscription. We thought it would be useful to create this sticky thread to clear up any confusion.
1. Will my YouView box from BT work if I decide to leave BT?
Yes, Freeview channels will still work on these boxes but any Extra TV channels you signed up to from BT will stop working. You won’t be able to watch any On Demand programmes from BT, but on a YouView box you’ll be able to watch programmes from any of the other On Demand players. Do bear in mind though that if you no longer have a BT TV subscription, anything you watch on your YouView box may count towards your Broadband Usage Limit.
2. Will trick play (fast forward, rewind and Pause) and Record still work on my box after cancelling TV subscription with BT?
Yes, these functions on your box will still work as expected. Cancelling your subscription will not affect these functions.
3. Will I lose all my recordings if I cancel my BT TV Subscription?
You will lose recordings for any of the Extra TV channels from BT. Recordings from Freeview will remain in place.
phil

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I do not think that a BT YouView box, out of TV contract, will allow you to record and watch programs and this is not clear to me from the above statement. Although it does say that Pause, Rewind and Fast Forward will work

BT do a thing called "BT Essentials" which for £5 a month leaves the box working

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
The BT YouView box is basically a Humax box with a bit of extra software for the BT On Demand/BT specific extra channels. Once you stop paying for the BT TV package it works exactly the same as any other Humax box. So recording and pausing programs works exactly the same, the only things that don't work anymore are the BT TV specific options. We cancelled BT TV when the free 18 months ran out but BT didn't ask for the YouView box back so have been using it primarily as a DVR since then.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We’ve got an out of contract BT tv box

Records / pauses / restarts the same as it did when it was in contract

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
As far as I'm aware, the Youbox is yours when you leave BT.

We looked at changing from BT to Plusnet.
Plusnet runs on the back of BT and use all of their lines/equipment up to the house but they told us that our BT Youview box will not work on their Plusnet equivalent package and that we had to buy their viewing box.
When we came to chuck BT and told them that we were going to change to Plusnet, BT lowered the package price, so we ended up staying with BT.
It will therefore be interesting to know if it still does work on a different supplier or whether it's just another way for the likes of Plusnet to get more money out of you.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Up date. BT box works on SSE broadband. As said just like a Humax box Thanks for the advice guys.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back