York Rowntree - recomendations? (1 Viewer)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Spending a couple of nights at York soon and wondered if anyone could recommend -

A nearby pub with food and real ale;
A Chinese takeaway - delivering would be nice, or under a mile walking;
A sit in Restaurant - seafood or Chinese preferred, under a mile away from the site.

Also, is there a recommended route to the railway museum, I'd rather not take the van, but could do if it were best. Bus / walk?

Thanks! (y) :)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Go out the back entrance to the site there are good pubs and eating places at the top of the road. Real ale pub just around the corner aswell.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
In Rowntree park the whole of York is a short stroll away. All services pubs, Chinese Indian or fish n chips are really closeby. Its one of my favourite sites. Park the motorhome up & forget driving during your stay. Enjoy.
And that includes the Railway Museum (although there is a 'noddy train' into the town centre from right outside)

Also the Norvik museum.

Wyn

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
In Rowntree park the whole of York is a short stroll away. All services pubs, Chinese Indian or fish n chips are really closeby. Its one of my favourite sites. Park the motorhome up & forget driving during your stay. Enjoy.
Thanks, it's definitely walking preferred ;) however I only have a couple of nights, so rather than taking the trial and error approach I thought you might like to recommend one or two?
(y) :)

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Go out the back entrance to the site there are good pubs and eating places at the top of the road. Real ale pub just around the corner aswell.

Thanks Steve, I can see The Swan but it doesn't seem to do food ... know any with food and real ale? (y) :)

Mr Milliemobile

Funster
Sep 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014
don't use the Chinese takeaway on bishoprhorpe road, to the back of site, it is crap. Regency Chinese restaurant by Walmgate Bar is good but they have do have karaoke nights.
Masons Arms on Fishergate does good grub and has real ales.
York Brewery on Walmgate is a must for good Ale, pubs nearby do a good range too.
Never been to railway museum but it isn't far on foot or by bus

Last edited:

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
If you go out the rear of the site
Carry on to the high street and turn right there a great little bar on the left can't remember the name but it's all glass fronted and serves good food and had 3 or 4 decent ales

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
If you go out the rear of the site
Carry on to the high street and turn right there a great little bar on the left can't remember the name but it's all glass fronted and serves good food and had 3 or 4 decent ales

Struggling a little to find that on Google Earth ... found the Swan, The Slip and the Old Ebor.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Rose and crown, good food and ale. Nice walk along the wall, start at weatherspoons just near Clifford's tower :)

http://www.roseandcrownyork.com/

Too many pubs to mention. But here is a few of our favs...
The Hop
The Golden Fleece
The Guy Fawkes pub
Lendal cellars (no phone signal, great when you want a quiet pint without Wifey ;)....)
Both spoons
Any Sam smiths pub if your watching the pennies.....
And many more

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Struggling a little to find that on Google Earth ... found the Swan, The Slip and the Old Ebor.
Found it on Google maps
Angel on the green
Bishopthorpe Road next pub along is the Swan
It's on the right not the left as I said earlier sorry

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Angel on the green used to be a cycle shop.
We didn't rate as a pub, but the food looked ok.
Nice curry house over the road. A few pubs on the road leading up to the railway station too.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Angel on the green used to be a cycle shop.
We didn't rate as a pub, but the food looked ok.
Nice curry house over the road. A few pubs on the road leading up to the railway station too.

Still got the cycle shop next door
Ale wise 3 or 4 trad and a fizzy if I remember
Ales were kept spot on and rotated every 3-4 days food did look lovely

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Yes, cycle shop has downsized, and opened up a new shop just outside the main entrance at York station.
Couldn't comment on the ales as I'm a lager lout :) :)

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Rose and crown, good food and ale. Nice walk along the wall, start at weatherspoons just near Clifford's tower :)

http://www.roseandcrownyork.com/

Too many pubs to mention. But here is a few of our favs...
The Hop
The Golden Fleece
The Guy Fawkes pub
Lendal cellars (no phone signal, great when you want a quiet pint without Wifey ;)....)
Both spoons
Any Sam smiths pub if your watching the pennies.....
And many more

Thanks - that's a fine selection, working my way though the on-line menus now (y) :)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Great site ,but nearly always block booked by the selfish,so difficult to get a spot. ..

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Found it on Google maps
Angel on the green
Bishopthorpe Road next pub along is the Swan
It's on the right not the left as I said earlier sorry

Thanks, it's still a bike shop on Google Earth street view which is probably why I missed it (y) :)

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
We found a little Thai restaurant a couple of streets away. Lovely food and special priced lunch time menu

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Just left the York site. We had fish and chips from the local one really nice. We had some ale in the York Brewery. Great beer. If you go on one of their tours your get 4 x 1/3 pints included. The tour is £8 and £6 for concessions. So good value.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
You should NOT "do" York without visiting the Minster, they have the Norvik centre in the footings of it.
Also visit the Shambles, a little old street where the roofs almost meet across the street. And Cliffords tower where Dick Turnip was executed. A really lovely city to spend a few days in.
Mitch.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Thanks for the Tourist advice, unfortunately we're only there for a couple of days and her choice was RHS Gardens at Harlow Carr. My choice is the Railway Museum, not sure we'll be able to add much to that in the daylight hours. A return visit isn't out of the question though ;)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
R
Thanks for the Tourist advice, unfortunately we're only there for a couple of days and her choice was RHS Gardens at Harlow Carr. My choice is the Railway Museum, not sure we'll be able to add much to that in the daylight hours. A return visit isn't out of the question though ;)
Railway museum is a must do. I live in York, am not an anorak but still enjoy the railway museum. Put your foot down.:D

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Yikes, does it rain like this here every morning?
Screenshot_2017-08-23-11-04-01.png

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Well, back home after a cracking 3 nights away. Went to RHS Garden at Harrogate (free to members) and on to Rowntree where we had fish and chips from the 'Fisherman's Wife' take-away behind the site.

P1010932.JPG

Thursdays we chilled in the morning and went to the Park & Ride to get the bus into the Railway Museum. Entry and parking was free, the bus was 2.90 each return which seemed fair enough.

P1010969.JPG

Friday we chilled out as a massive rainstorm blew over then went for a walk round York. Clifford Tower was £5 each so we admired it from a distance, as with the Nordic centre £16, Minster £10, Brewery £8. But with the £78 we saved we had an all you can eat Chinese Buffet at the Regency and an interesting evening in the Golden Fleece. The Shambles was an interesting stroll, seems to have gone Potter mad though ;)

Thanks again for all the hints and tips (y) :)

P1010995.JPG
P1020002.JPG
P1020011.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back