Yet another Elektroblock failure… (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
So, my 2007 Adria with a Schaudt Elektroblock 225, has again, for no obvious reason, popped it’s internal fuse and refuses to operate the battery charging side of its job.
This is the second failed Elektroblock in 12 months, I’ve even put an expensive surge protector into the mains and fused the cable leading to it.

My question is, as the Elektroblock appears to have two distinct functions - the 12v side and the battery charging side - has anyone ever replaced the battery charging function and wired in a modern intelligent standalone battery charger?
I have direct access to the heavy duty battery cables in the Block and a convenient mains supply.
It seems like a simple and effective way to resume charging operations without the need for getting this box sent off and fixed again.
I guess I’d need a 10A charger.
Any thought on the subject, especially if you’ve already done this, gratefully received.

OP
OP
The Rolling Stones
Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks Peter,
I can’t see any problems and I’m glad you’ve been able to do this, excellent idea for lithium.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Peter,
I can’t see any problems and I’m glad you’ve been able to do this, excellent idea for lithium.
Its not as simple as you may think. I ended up changing most of the 12v charging systems with new B2B, replacement solar regulator and a fused busbar. Also I bypassed the EBL's split charging relay and removed the 20A fuse for solar charging to the leisure batteries. Got all the information and help to do it from this forum.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Yes it's quite possible to wire in a different mains charger if for some reason you don't want to use the internal mains charger. That's how my system is connected. There are several possibilities. Here's one way. Basically what I did, but my EBL101 is a bit different.

If you pull out the mains plug where it goes into the EBL, that will turn off the internal charger. The EBL will behave as if the EHU is disconnected - all the 12V stuff will work, but no mains charging of the leisure battery or the starter battery.

Next question is how to wire in a different mains charger. There is a 2-pin connector on the EBL front panel labelled 'Additional Charger'. Pin 1 is negative, Pin 2 is leisure battery positive. Also there is a fuse slot labelled 'Add Charger'. Insert a 25A fuse to allow the charger power to go to the leisure battery. While you are there, you could remove the 'Int Charger' fuse just to make sure the internal charger is isolated.

I use a Victron Bluesmart IP65 15A charger, which has different settings including lithium for possible future upgrade, but you may want a 20A charger (the internal charger is 18A). I find that if I have a hookup connection, it's usually for at least 12 hours so plenty of time to fill up the batteries with a 15A charger.

Unfortunately the relay that allows trickle-charging of the starter battery is operated by the internal charger, so that stops working. I have a separate small smart charger to do this. I wired it into the 3-pin connector labelled Solar Regulator. Pin 1 is negative, Pin 2 (centre pin) goes to the starter battery. I use a CTEK MXS5.0, but others use a smaller trickle-charger like an Optimate with an output of about 0.8A.

The 2-pin connector is a Molex Minifit SR (not the more common JR). Available from Apuljack Electronics. The housings (ie the connector plastic shell) and the metal contacts are bought separately. I think a standard NON-insulated crimp tool will probably work OK on these.
The 3-pin connector is a Molex MNL (Mate'N'Lok), also available from Apuljack, but can be found at other suppliers like 12VoltPlanet. From Apuljack the housings and pins are separate, from 12VoltPlanet it comes as a kit, male, female plus crimp pins.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Rolling Stones
Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks Autorouter, that’s very comprehensive, I don’t recall seeing an additional charger option but then I wasn’t looking for it. That will be perfect. Thanks too for the pointers for parts. 👍🏻

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back