YESSSSSSSSSSS! (1 Viewer)

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
I have hot water in the moho from a working water heater just 371 days after delivery brand new from Glossop. There is no way they could have done the PDI pre collection and delivery to me and soon lost interest after the first couple of phone calls to their workshop achieved nothing. The only option was to book into an Elddis approved workshop for a warranty repair as soon as covid relaxed a bit.
First visit diagnosis and Whale said new circuit board on top of heater was required. Ordered, arrived, booked in, waited for 2 hours - it still didnt work. This time Whale said it was the switch in the control panel. Ordered, arrived, booked in, waited for the 30 mins suggested and a further hour - it still didnt work. Whale said it must be the other circuit board but South Coast Caravans (who are bloody wonderful by the way) did their own research and decided it was a cable or a fuse problem.
Whale told them the space heater and the water heater was on the same 12a fuse and as the space heater works, SCC didnt think it could be a fuse issue so they spoke to the cable manufacturers, sending them pics. While they were waiting for the response, SCC rechecked the fuse and found that the space heater was on it's own 12a fuse but the water heater shared a 5a (??) fuse with the cooker and hob spark igntion and the aerial. They changed the fuse as it had blown and it blew again. They took the water heater out of the circuit and tried the spark ignition - it blew again. Something behind the hob and oven causing electrical fault. Reconnected water heater and took spark ignition out of circuit - hey presto, we have hot water!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSS!
Now have to get Elddis to authorise more warranty work to diagnose the electrical fault which will mean another 50 minute drive in each direction and so will leave it for the time being sticking to the gas lighter ignition.
Now we can overnight if we want to, can wash up and even have a shower if we want to.....the possibilities are endless

Aug 17, 2019
Highlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
5 years
Just had a similar problem with our water heater that decided to stop heating water Elldis CV40 only after it’s first hab check,2 circuit boards later still not working in the end new water heater was fitted problem solved.

OP
OP
Keep Right On
Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Just had a similar problem with our water heater that decided to stop heating water Elldis CV40 only after it’s first hab check,2 circuit boards later still not working in the end new water heater was fitted problem solved.
Was it a Whale?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Keep Right On
Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
In fairness, some of it was down to lockdowns and shielding but even when we were able to get the van in, there was a delay in getting the parts (which Whale misdiagnosed twice) before SCC found something was tripping the fuse behind the cooker. I thought it strange the water heater was on the same fuse as the spark igniter and aerial and was only a 5A

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
In fairness, some of it was down to lockdowns and shielding but even when we were able to get the van in, there was a delay in getting the parts (which Whale misdiagnosed twice) before SCC found something was tripping the fuse behind the cooker. I thought it strange the water heater was on the same fuse as the spark igniter and aerial and was only a 5A
Damn lucky it was a warranty job otherwise on Whale's diagnoses you'd have forked out for two unnecessary circuit boards and a switch - never mind all the labour costs to fit them.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have just traded in our Elddis 125 Accordo, Marquis Majestic enhanced version.

When we saw it on the forecourt it looked great, nicely finished inside and no obvious poor workmanship. The salesman told us that it was a discontinued model, (that should have been a warning), and they only had three left. We bought it and set off on our travels, or so we thought.

At this stage I must say that Marquis, Tewksbury, were great throughout our tribulations. At times they moved heaven and earth to help us. We accept, (unfortunately), that most motorhomes have niggles, compromises and minor faults.

This was our experience.

On collection PDI showed that the rear view camera had failed. Marquis apologised, ordered a new one and we returned to have it fitted three weeks later.

On setting out on a tour the camera failed again. Four weeks later we had a new camera fitted.

On our second trip out we found the carpets wet. We couldn’t find out why.

On returning home We checked and found that the filler pipe to the fresh water tank had been cut too short and water was escaping from the poor joint. Marquis fixed it and improved the original fittings under warranty.

Next trip out, also wet carpets, still no idea why.

Third trip out we arrived on site to find we had no 230v electrics. Found out that the fresh water tank, which is internal, under the dinette seat, had no external overflow. Whilst driving, water had sloshed, (technical term), out of the tank into the locker. Elddis design had decided to put the electrical connector block for the underfloor Whale heater on the floor of that locker. It was under half an inch of water.

The water gauge was worse than useless for estimating how much water was on board.

Deciding to travel with no more than half a tank of fresh water we had two more experiences of exactly the same problem.

Next problem was that the waste pipe from the kitchen sink came adrift, pouring water over the fridge and into the motorhome. That was a “fridge out” job to repair. Marquis managed to fit us in within 24 hours and we had it repaired as “a common fault”. While we were there another 125 Accordo was in the workshop for the same repair and the owners told us that they knew of two other people who had had the same fault repaired.

After about 15 months, including the Covid lockdowns, we realised that we had never been able to achieve more than three nights away without a problem. We now noticed that the toilet door was warping. That was when we decided to cut our losses.

We realise that other Elddis models may be OK but now understand why the 125 was discontinued. I only wish we had picked up on it when the salesman told us that,

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We have just traded in our Elddis 125 Accordo, Marquis Majestic enhanced version.

When we saw it on the forecourt it looked great, nicely finished inside and no obvious poor workmanship. The salesman told us that it was a discontinued model, (that should have been a warning), and they only had three left. We bought it and set off on our travels, or so we thought.

At this stage I must say that Marquis, Tewksbury, were great throughout our tribulations. At times they moved heaven and earth to help us. We accept, (unfortunately), that most motorhomes have niggles, compromises and minor faults.

This was our experience.

On collection PDI showed that the rear view camera had failed. Marquis apologised, ordered a new one and we returned to have it fitted three weeks later.

On setting out on a tour the camera failed again. Four weeks later we had a new camera fitted.

On our second trip out we found the carpets wet. We couldn’t find out why.

On returning home We checked and found that the filler pipe to the fresh water tank had been cut too short and water was escaping from the poor joint. Marquis fixed it and improved the original fittings under warranty.

Next trip out, also wet carpets, still no idea why.

Third trip out we arrived on site to find we had no 230v electrics. Found out that the fresh water tank, which is internal, under the dinette seat, had no external overflow. Whilst driving, water had sloshed, (technical term), out of the tank into the locker. Elddis design had decided to put the electrical connector block for the underfloor Whale heater on the floor of that locker. It was under half an inch of water.

The water gauge was worse than useless for estimating how much water was on board.

Deciding to travel with no more than half a tank of fresh water we had two more experiences of exactly the same problem.

Next problem was that the waste pipe from the kitchen sink came adrift, pouring water over the fridge and into the motorhome. That was a “fridge out” job to repair. Marquis managed to fit us in within 24 hours and we had it repaired as “a common fault”. While we were there another 125 Accordo was in the workshop for the same repair and the owners told us that they knew of two other people who had had the same fault repaired.

After about 15 months, including the Covid lockdowns, we realised that we had never been able to achieve more than three nights away without a problem. We now noticed that the toilet door was warping. That was when we decided to cut our losses.

We realise that other Elddis models may be OK but now understand why the 125 was discontinued. I only wish we had picked up on it when the salesman told us that,
Yes I recognise some of those old chestnuts from our van..

The crap Chinese reversing camera (I just removed it and binned it shortly after purchase 😆)

And the waste fittings leaking on both sink and washbasin, which was because the male/female fittings were upside down 🙄

Not bad vans really for the price, it's just they are assembled by idiots.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Yes I recognise some of those old chestnuts from our van..

The crap Chinese reversing camera (I just removed it and binned it shortly after purchase 😆)

And the waste fittings leaking on both sink and washbasin, which was because the male/female fittings were upside down 🙄

Not bad vans really for the price, it's just they are assembled by idiots.
I’m not condemning all Elddis, simply the 125 Accordo. I believe that the layout led to design flaws that couldn’t be rectified, hence the model being dropped.

However, although we loved the look of the motorhome it appeared that the bean counters had won out. “Shorten a hose by half an inch per unit and it will add up”, ignoring the cost of remedial work thereafter.

It may be that when Hymer bought them out they decided that they couldn’t afford the reputational damage and decided to cut their losses.

I agree, had it been put built by people who had a pride in their work, and the water/electrical problem had been sorted, it could have been a great motorhome for the money.

Regrettably, it was our worst ever buy as a motorhome and we were prepared to lose money to change.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We feel so fortunate as we bought our Accordo 105 from Vehicles 4 Leisure as a dealer special new 3 years ago and the only issue we've had was the fridge not staying on for more than 30 minutes while on gas. I think that's brilliant considering some of the horror stories I've heard from some owners of so called 'better' brands than Elddis. It's been fantastic and wouldn't swap it for anything. (y)
My brother in law had a Dethleffs motorhome from new and sold it after 2 years as he had so many issues. He's only just gone and bought a caravan yesterday such was his disappointment :whistle2:

huck999

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Crewe, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
There is probably more to it, but why are the Whale technicians not actually diagnosing, as SCC did, instead of guessing, wasting time and money and ending up with a bad reputation? Surely 5 minutes with a multi-meter will sort most electrical problems? A switch not working will have 12v on one side but not the other. Circuit board fault will have power in but nothing out etc etc. No 12v at all means a supply fault, e.g. fuse.

WeeBoldDavy - sorry to hear about the Dethleffs. Only fault, so far, on ours is a broken water pump which took about 15 minutes to swap out.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We feel so fortunate as we bought our Accordo 105 from Vehicles 4 Leisure as a dealer special new 3 years ago and the only issue we've had was the fridge not staying on for more than 30 minutes while on gas. I think that's brilliant considering some of the horror stories I've heard from some owners of so called 'better' brands than Elddis. It's been fantastic and wouldn't swap it for anything. (y)
My brother in law had a Dethleffs motorhome from new and sold it after 2 years as he had so many issues. He's only just gone and bought a caravan yesterday such was his disappointment :whistle2:
Yes, there are so many Accordo about that it is obvious that the 125 was an aberration, hence being dropped. It was just our luck to buy that model.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
There is probably more to it, but why are the Whale technicians not actually diagnosing, as SCC did, instead of guessing, wasting time and money and ending up with a bad reputation? Surely 5 minutes with a multi-meter will sort most electrical problems? A switch not working will have 12v on one side but not the other. Circuit board fault will have power in but nothing out etc etc. No 12v at all means a supply fault, e.g. fuse.

WeeBoldDavy - sorry to hear about the Dethleffs. Only fault, so far, on ours is a broken water pump which took about 15 minutes to swap out.
There's good and bad in all models is how I see it, you tend only to hear about the bad ones. in the 5 years I've been on this forum, Swift has taken a bashing (Kon-Leeki) and Auto Trail (Water-Trail) spring to mind most readily, even Hymer took a bit of a bashing last year.
You pay your money, you take your chances which is a sad reflection on the industry.
I worked in the building industry for 7 years til I retired 3 months ago and have seen my share of cost cutting including staffs earnings which has its consequences on it's own (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back