Yes £123,347 as tested. (1 Viewer)

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benimar 202
That’s how much the Rolling Homes VW Crafter as tested by MMM will cost you . A more ‘reasonable’ £99,995 without the extras. That’s a lot of money for a Van Conversion is it not? Or maybe it isn’t 😂

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Ooo I do love a Crafter conversion.

👍👍
IMG_5191.jpeg

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Some folks will willingly pay that sort of money for a new vehicle but then moan about the cost of site fees.

Paul
Yes , I've thought this a peculiar reaction having forked out a lot of money you then moan about site fees.
I sort of get it in the UK where the norm now seems to be about £30/night. Less reason to moan in Europe.
But if you can afford say £75k for a motorhome you can afford £30/night.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Yes , I've thought this a peculiar reaction having forked out a lot of money you then moan about site fees.
I sort of get it in the UK where the norm now seems to be about £30/night. Less reason to moan in Europe.
Pathetic statement.

Who are you or anyone to say what I or anybody can afford and not only that. Whether I want to pay that price.
I spend my money as I wish and that’s not on a £30 plus a night campsite.
This statement “but you have a £75k motorhome “ has nothing to do with what anyone will have to live on and is typically used by councils and clubs to bump up their prices.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's gone mad. I'm just doing some research for an article. I've got a 2019 Magazine with an article about motorhomes you can buy for £50k. Just collating today's prices. The jump in 5 years is incredible. I know things have gone up, but there is some pee taking going on the chain, there just has to be.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Big difference between capital and disposable income.
My conclusion is that many have bought the vehicle on credit, or with a bank loan, re-mortgage, downsizing or from an inheritance but are financially stretched when it comes to running costs and e.g. site fees.
My sister and BIL retired to Spain in a lovely villa with pool, lemon trees etc. which they bought after selling their tiny terraced cottage in Cornwall but had to live very frugally on their U.K. pensions.
Many, including it seems billionaires, are just naturally financially 'careful'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
It's gone mad. I'm just doing some research for an article. I've got a 2019 Magazine with an article about motorhomes you can buy for £50k. Just collating today's prices. The jump in 5 years is incredible. I know things have gone up, but there is some pee taking going on the chain, there just has to be.
Having a walk around the Stratford show today .
I have to say some of the prices were eye watering. Some of the van conversions at almost 100k . Probably “worth” the money to an audience or they wouldn’t be in production.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
A lot of base vehicles are way over £50k now alone. Not talking about anything completely over the top or 4x4 etc, just a normal, nice spec van. Crazy tbh.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Some folks will willingly pay that sort of money for a new vehicle but then moan about the cost of site fees.

Paul
And why not, for us the van is paid for out of life savings, using comes out of our pension so the more free nights the better, certainly wouldn't pay UK site prices even if we were rich.
That’s a lot for any sort of MoHo.
Not many decent ones under £100k these days.
Our new one is costing nearly £120k and it's one of the cheapest Carthagos and its fixed at 2022 prices, also need to spend over £12k on it to bring it up to the spec we want.

But £123k for a PVC is a bit much.
A lot of base vehicles are way over £50k now alone. Not talking about anything completely over the top or 4x4 etc, just a normal, nice spec van. Crazy tbh.
I priced up a Ducato van last year came out at £65k could have put another £5k to £10k of extras on it.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
And why not, for us the van is paid for out of life savings, using comes out of our pension so the more free nights the better, certainly wouldn't pay UK site prices even if we were rich.

Our new one is costing nearly £120k and it's one of the cheapest Carthagos and its fixed at 2022 prices, also need to spend over £12k on it to bring it up to the spec we want.

But £123k for a PVC is a bit much.

I priced up a Ducato van last year came out at £65k could have put another £5k to £10k of extras on it.
We paid just under 100k for our pvc and it was 3 years old.
Top spec IH motorhome on a crafter. Unfortunately quality costs.
But now it has to pay us back so far not had a campsite since we bought the van in November and done around 70 nights so far.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Big difference between capital and disposable income.
My conclusion is that many have bought the vehicle on credit, or with a bank loan, re-mortgage, downsizing or from an inheritance but are financially stretched when it comes to running costs and e.g. site fees.
My sister and BIL retired to Spain in a lovely villa with pool, lemon trees etc. which they bought after selling their tiny terraced cottage in Cornwall but had to live very frugally on their U.K. pensions.
Many, including it seems billionaires, are just naturally financially 'careful'.
I don't think it's anything to do with can't afford, from my perspective anyway it's about having to pay for things that we don't want or need, the way I see it the more you pay for your van the less you want/need to use the site facilities, the electric is 13A "no thanks we have loads of solar and lithium" the shower block is heated "don't need it thank we have a lovely shower and heated towel rail in the van" "we have a full water tank so just need to empty at the end of the week" oh no they say you can't empty your black tank over our nice shiny service point grid, and then to add insult to injury they are usually in the middle of nowhere, give me a car park close to something anytime.

Sep 25, 2021
Burntwood, UK
Funster No
MH
Mclouis fusion 331
Exp
I don't think it's anything to do with can't afford, from my perspective anyway it's about having to pay for things that we don't want or need, the way I see it the more you pay for your van the less you want/need to use the site facilities, the electric is 13A "no thanks we have loads of solar and lithium" the shower block is heated "don't need it thank we have a lovely shower and heated towel rail in the van" "we have a full water tank so just need to empty at the end of the week" oh no they say you can't empty your black tank over our nice shiny service point grid, and then to add insult to injury they are usually in the middle of nowhere, give me a car park close to something anytime.
The beauty of motorhomes is we can all choose to use them how we please. Whether it's a town centre car park, a field in the middle of nowhere or a fully fitted campsite with bar and pool. Each one of us enjoys the experience in our own way.

Paul

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Pathetic statement.

Who are you or anyone to say what I or anybody can afford and not only that. Whether I want to pay that price.
I spend my money as I wish and that’s not on a £30 plus a night campsite.
This statement “but you have a £75k motorhome “ has nothing to do with what anyone will have to live on and is typically used by councils and clubs to bump up their prices.
Cool down tiger🙂

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Nail struck firmly on the head with that Martin, well said. 👍

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
Not that long ago there seemed to be lots of affordable vans at £40k now it’s £60+.
The big killer will be getting people to pay much larger amounts to swap wether they can afford it or not. Value for money will dictate the market.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That's a rather elitist assertion, Lenny HB ;)
Not everyone with a motorhome is 'a motorhomer'.
For 40 years I toured Europe mostly by motorbike with a tent, principally for unplanned adventures into the unknown but I've never considered myself to be a 'camper'. For the past 11 years my 27 yr old 14 grand coachbuilt has reliably fulfilled all my summer aspirations purely for the flexibility plus transport to and accommodation at specific international events: Seafood, Wine and folk festivals, biker rallies and my interest in conservation and medieval history. It owes me nothing.
Mind you, for many years the position of live-in domestic manager has been vacant so I've not had any nagging need to get something 'better'. :giggle:

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's a rather elitist assertion, Lenny HB ;)
Not everyone with a motorhome is 'a motorhomer'.
For 40 years I toured Europe mostly by motorbike with a tent, principally for unplanned adventures into the unknown but I've never considered myself to be a 'camper'. For the past 11 years my 27 yr old 14 grand coachbuilt has reliably fulfilled all my summer aspirations purely for the flexibility plus transport to and accommodation at specific international events: Seafood, Wine and folk festivals, biker rallies and my interest in conservation and medieval history. It owes me nothing.
Mind you, for many years the position of live-in domestic manager has been vacant so I've not had any nagging need to get something 'better'. :giggle:
This thread is about the price of new vans so my post was completely relevant.
Even cheap budget vans are over £60k now.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A lot of base vehicles are way over £50k now alone

Yes but thats on the van forecourt. I doubt the converters will be paying anything like that.

I'm just a layman, I don't even pretend to know what is going on. My best guess is that makers and dealers really took advantage with the Covid shutdown shortages. Yes prices were only going one way, but the rate of the rises was crazy.

Prices rising to meet demand, nothing wrong with that, it makes the world go around. But if you are too greedy where do you go if the demand drops and you're holding loads of stock. I don't think we are there yet. Record sales are still happening so people are paying those prices. But I won't, and lot's of others won't either. If demand drops it will be interesting to see how far prices go with them. Meanwhile Autotrader is listing 11,776 motorhomes for sale.

Jul 29, 2022
Watford, Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 599 S
Having just spent a year touring the USA in our Kon-Tiki 599
310 free nights in chain store car parks, BLM land, forestry land, etc.

The thing that astonished me was the cost of RV's, given the number out there.

Winnabago Solis PVC start @ £118,000
Solis.jpeg

C Class Ekko from £170,000
Ekko.jpeg

Other scary prices:

Our year:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.