XGODY 718 Chinese Satnav - WARNING (1 Viewer)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Cheap, No Good
Good, No Cheap

Absolutely, and not even cheap really when you can buy CoPilot which is a top quality product for the same or less, I paid £25.00 in the Xmas sale for full European. Even has RV setting and fantastic route planning which even a top quality GPS would be envious of.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i wonder that if you buy a £35 or so sat nav, that's exactly what you get and that further expenditure may have secured a better quality product. Not being snotty just thinking about the old Chinese proverb
Trouble is they were a lot more than £35 two years or so ago and it appeared that one was buying good quality software/mapping on a cheap tablet, the latter explaining why they were cheaper than other brands.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
well i bought a £70+ tom tom, no good for updates, cost over £200, no settings for large vechiles.

so £35 for a cheap satnav, nothing for updates and all the setting + more than i need.

really , no contest

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
well i bought a £70+ tom tom, no good for updates, cost over £200, no settings for large vechiles.

so £35 for a cheap satnav, nothing for updates and all the setting + more than i need.

really , no contest
If one is content to use pirated software (as discussed elsewhere) :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
i will look into that, need to see what size they allow
How big are the files?
Is it one big file or separate ones for each country?

Mediafire file host basic allows 10gb free.
Of course, the "cloud" is more trendy, like Dropbox but I don't know what the free allowance is

Regards Stephen

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
If one is content to use pirated software (as discussed elsewhere) :)

lets get 1 thing straight, i have never, and i mean never, paid for any software or operating system, nor will i, in my life.

and i will explain,

1:- most software is wrote in china, and costs next to nothing, bill gates then charges you £100+.

2:- some of the software is loaded with spyware(which can be removed)google is the worst

3:- the free software is normally better than the paid for one,and less nosey.

there are other reasons, but i find that breaking the codes and re-writing it to be better , if you are happy to share all your

personal date and thoughts with mircosoft , or who ever, than that is up to you.

but i do not share my data with them,as i never know what they will do with it.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
How big are the files?
Is it one big file or separate ones for each country?

Mediafire file host basic allows 10gb free.
Of course, the "cloud" is more trendy, like Dropbox but I don't know what the free allowance is

Regards Stephen

they will fit on mediafile, ill look in to it

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
lets get 1 thing straight, i have never, and i mean never, paid for any software or operating system, nor will i, in my life.

and i will explain,

1:- most software is wrote in china, and costs next to nothing, bill gates then charges you £100+.

2:- some of the software is loaded with spyware(which can be removed)google is the worst

there are other reasons, but i find that breaking the codes and re-writing it to be better , if you are happy to share all your

personal date and thoughts with mircosoft , or who ever, than that is up to you.

How do you update the software on your satnav or on your mobile or your laptop if you don't use the manufacturers software?

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
How do you update the software on your satnav or on your mobile or your laptop if you don't use the manufacturers software?

plenty of other software out there, most of it written by the same group that writes it for the big groups, but at a cheaper price and with most of the spyware removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

and i will explain,

And the moon is made of green cheese :LOL:

There is a vast difference between free software and pirated software, just as there is between any promotional goods and those which fall off the back of a lorry. However, if it makes you happy so be it :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
i have all the latest ftr files.

they are too big to email, and i cannot post them on the resorces page.

i will be at southport rally and will bring a usb stick so maybe someoe can upload them all

How big are the files?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And lets get 2 things straight
Anyone who thinks Big Bro hasn't already got everything he needs about every body is deluded

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Let's get a third thing straight. I doubt big bro gives a monkeys about my use of my sarnav or my phone or my laptop and I don't need to worry about it unless I am a doing something I should not be.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
each ftr file is approx 48kb, so that is possible if thats the only files you need

If you have the inclination, installing Dropbox on your computer allows you to create a storage system on your computer that also stores files in the internet cloud. You can make a folder(s) public and share the contents with others - other users could download one or more of the update files as they need.

Here is a link to dropbox. If you use this link, it will take you to the download site and give me a small referral bonus to my account (I will get more space). Dropbox starts off by giving 2GB of space - this increases quickly when adding other devices to your account. Eg. Adding a phone to your dropbox account gives something like 500MB more space.

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Just checked mine which arrived today. No ftr files! Bought this specially for our fifth wheel. Watching the thread with interest.

Al

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just checked mine which arrived today. No ftr files! Bought this specially for our fifth wheel. Watching the thread with interest.

Al
I would send it back. The supplier is committing daylight robbery if he is sending out "Truck" sat navs which are simply not up to the job.

The trouble is that it seems that most suppliers of the Noza Tec/Xgody brands simply can't be trusted now.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Mine went to the recycle place last week. Not only was I not happy that the software might be suspect but the battery was shot and the unit got very hot when it was plugged in. Better safe than sorry.

I did take the thing to bits in the hope I would be able to replace the battery. The battery was a cheap looking thing wrapped in foil with no identifying marks which would have allowed me to replace it.

Now I don't know if I should get a cheapish tablet and run an app or get a Garmin or similar.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Mine went to the recycle place last week. Not only was I not happy that the software might be suspect but the battery was shot and the unit got very hot when it was plugged in. Better safe than sorry.

I did take the thing to bits in the hope I would be able to replace the battery. The battery was a cheap looking thing wrapped in foil with no identifying marks which would have allowed me to replace it.

Now I don't know if I should get a cheapish tablet and run an app or get a Garmin or similar.
Definitely wise to dump it rather than risk a fire.
I would go for the Garmin myself.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I've used mine during our 12 week winter trip around France, Spain and Portugal and it performed at least as good and in some instances better than the ones used by our travelling companions who had bought much more expensive ones.
. . . . . . . . and it hasn't caught fire yet either

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The only thing that stopped me using my iPhone abroad in the past was the thought of a large bill.
It's no longer expensive at £4 per day for 500mb. Recent trip to Holland Germany & Belgium proved it to be faultless so no longer any need to spend big bucks on another device.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We've touched on Garmin in other threads. I like the Garmin 660 LMT-D Camper. Can be used for all mohos and caravans and wagons so also fifth wheel. I've used it successfully in my truck saying I'm 44 tonnes, 14' 6" high, 60' long and as a caravan it comes out as articulated. Check Aldi stores as selling between £139.99 and £199.99 depending on managers discretion.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've used mine during our 12 week winter trip around France, Spain and Portugal and it performed at least as good and in some instances better than the ones used by our travelling companions who had bought much more expensive ones.
. . . . . . . . and it hasn't caught fire yet either

Yep, was happy with ours when it was working but last tine we used it it got very hot. It's been fine before.

Having looked at the battery I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did!

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Just bought a replacement as my old one packed up ,had it 3 years so not complaining. New one is a hie ha 8gb unit. Primo maps are 2015 q4 and contain all the ftr files. I'm happy with it bought on eBay from eleacc. Comes with card that says www.eleacc.com. Great communications kept emailing me asking me if I had it yet and if not they'd look into it for me
Think it was £30

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The only thing that stopped me using my iPhone abroad in the past was the thought of a large bill.
It's no longer expensive at £4 per day for 500mb. Recent trip to Holland Germany & Belgium proved it to be faultless so no longer any need to spend big bucks on another device.
Using it every day for a month will come to £120 that seems expensive to me

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back