X290 Motorhome chassis Air bag instead of bump/solid unit? (1 Viewer)

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
Has any one had experience of a Dunlop/Airide or similar air suspension instead of the current solid bump stops.
We fitted a inflated air module to our previous Hymer Ford van (airide perhaps) and it reduced significantly the thumping of the suspension.
Our current van is a Dethlefs Trend T6717 and we hope it will be quieter with such a system.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I fitted Dunlop air assist to our 2015 X290 and find the improvement very noticeable rides better and quieter. Sharp bends result in less lean and cross winds and truck slip stream reduced hugely. Easy D I Y fit if reasonably confident.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
X250 to x290 was just a bit of a bodywork facelift (but I stand to be corrected).
Loads of rear air bag kits on the bay and probably hundreds on here have done this upgrade themselves.
That little magnifying glass symbol in the top banner is your friend.;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We had rear air assist fitted by Dave Newell to both our Autotrail and IH.

Totally transforms how they drive, especially the Autotrail with its high stance and long rear overhang.

It was probably the best money I have ever spent on an extra for the motorhome.

There are a few pictures of the install in my media.

Reactions: EMS
OP
OP
E

EMS

Jan 8, 2010
Hants Sussex border near
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low
Exp
Started 2009!
Thanks,
I will have a go at installing a system when we return from holiday.
Thanks Mike I have looked at your photos very good.
I will probably go for a simple unit that I can use a footpump to adjust pressure, we had this on our old unit and it was no problem as it did not require to be altered very often.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I would not buy an on-board air compressor again. Thought it would be a good idea but as long as you have no leaks and once you have found a good pressure to run at.

You never touch it again.

Push bike hand pump would suffice. :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I often alter my pressure. In Belgium I’m drop down low as the roads are so bad, on the French German motorways I put it up high. I raise lower the rear to level the van when parking. Raise it when going on ferries, or rough ground to gain clearance.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
We had rear air assist fitted by Dave Newell to both our Autotrail and IH.

Totally transforms how they drive, especially the Autotrail with its high stance and long rear overhang.

It was probably the best money I have ever spent on an extra for the motorhome.

There are a few pictures of the install in my media.
Hi Mike, where did you get the fitted panel from that goes into your dashboard cut-out ?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've fitted EasyTop to my x250, I suspect the x290 will be pretty much identical:

I adjust the airbags all the time. When we're parked up and the van is a bit on the wonk, half the time I can just drop the pressure from one or both airbags to get closer to level. It doesn't make a massive difference, but it's enough most of the time so we don't use the ramps. Particularly useful on Aires or wild camping. I've not bothered with a compressor, I've just got the gauges coming up next to the driver's seat and a bike pump velcro'd to the seat frame. It's not a massive volume of air or a very high pressure, so it only takes about a minute to pump it back up again.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
My gauge and switches.
1117D1C7-265F-437F-BCBB-9C724251D5A5.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.