X290 clutch bleeding - anyone done it? (1 Viewer)

Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
I've got a Sealey pressure bleeding kit for the brakes but not sure about the clutch part. A mate has just had to have a new clutch fitted because the slave cylinder had failed - fluid in the pipes was black and had probably never been changed at 9 years old.

My slave cylinder looks a bit different to earlier versions although it looks to have a spring clip so I assume the procedure might be the same and the pipe will clip back to open the valve. Has anyone done this and how did you go about it? Access looks a bit tight - do you have to remove the airbox?

Van is 3.5 years old and fluid testing in the master cylinder shows less than 1% moisture but the clutch aspect now seems equally important. I've never seen the earlier X250 system but the pipe from my slave cylinder goes in the opposite direction to the master cylinder toward a soft plastic cover on the nearside (covering an ABS unit??) I was going to pressure bleed down from the combined master cylinder but have read about reverse bleeding the clutch part. I have a vacuum pump with a reservoir which would possibly do the job but it doesn't seem a good idea to do this into an ABS unit if that is what it is.

20211109_150437.jpg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Isn't that a rubber cap on the top with a nipple underneath?
mine has a bleed nipple to one side of the pipe inlet.
pressurised wasn't recommended on mine,a transit,.
If you look on you tube at a clutch change for the model you have most just open then pump up the pedal, lock it in down position & then open bleed valve. Shut it, pump it up again half a dozen times, lock down, open valve ,close. etc;etc; some say 20 times. till you get a clutch pedal. Amazingly it actually works

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
put " x290 clutch bleeding" in google gets you yout tube videos on it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Roger20 Resarection time.
Did you remove the air box for better axcess.
a mate did it recently his instructions
"I vacuumed out the reservoir and filled it back up with new fluid before bleeding.
The screwdriver spanner needs a 3/8 of a turn Anticlockwise of the bleed nipple with the vacuum ready set and it pulls the fluid through.
There is no security clip(s) at all, (suggested on other forum posts), note though that you cannot turn clockwise."
Spanner is 13mm
clutchnipple spanner.jpg

PS HIS FLUID WAS BLACK as black can be. only 6 years old

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roger20
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
I certainly didn't remove the bottom of the air cleaner box - far too difficult. I may have just unscrewed the lid to improve access. Don't forget waxoyl or similar on the screw heads - a nightmare if the pozidrive head rusts badly.

I'm pretty sure I just unscrewed the nipple by hand - no need for a spanner.

Reservoir was emptied and refilled as part of the brake bleeding process.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I certainly didn't remove the bottom of the air cleaner box - far too difficult. I may have just unscrewed the lid to improve access. Don't forget waxoyl or similar on the screw heads - a nightmare if the pozidrive head rusts badly.

I'm pretty sure I just unscrewed the nipple by hand - no need for a spanner.

Reservoir was emptied and refilled as part of the brake bleeding process.
Thanks
any wider angle photos.
Ive replaced my top screws with stainless torx head

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
today i had another look for my clutch nipple. its not where yours is .

different gearboxes you have an M40, 130 comformatic same as the 150,180. i have the mickey mouse one 130 engine more lickly to fail.

mine isnt like yours when i removed the MAF sensor connection i got a shock when i seen the clip arangement not the one that uses a spanner. push back clip pull pipe. 30 year old modified screwdriver/spanner not required

Also clean as a clean thing no black fluid.
20231028_151344_resized.jpg
20231028_152722_resized.jpg
20231028_154226_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Roger20
Jun 23, 2017
Shipley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T - 588
Exp
Since 2004
Mine is not Comfortmatic - just a standard manual.

I would want to understand how the clutch arrangement integrates with the manual gearbox in a robototised auto change to be sure that the bleeding process is fundamentally the same.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Mine is not Comfortmatic - just a standard manual.

I would want to understand how the clutch arrangement integrates with the manual gearbox in a robototised auto change to be sure that the bleeding process is fundamentally the same.
If not a 130 comformatic is it a 150 or 180 with the M40 gearbox (2018).
I believe the comformatic of this age has a seperate container to fill/ bleed.(different fluid)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back