WSB (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Don't know if any of you have seen this but yesterdays race was marred by a rider boycott. Out of a field of 19, 1 was out injured and 6 refused to ride due to track safety concerns. Initially only 2 were going to ride but team pressure meant that when the race started there were 12 on the grid. I know some with racing experience will say that riders cannot be pressured by anyone else to race in what they deem dangerous circumstances but this information came from Eugene Laverty and Leon Camier (2 of the riders who didn't race).

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Yes I did.
Difficult! FIA including Gregorio said it was ok. majority Current riders said no. Jonathan Rea changed his mind - but didn’t need to race at all. Bautista leaving current team end season, so no ongoing loyalty required there.
fortunately there were no accidents, although that’s clearly not the point.
money and TV revenue are such Big Things, but I still Find it difficult to believe that manufacturers, the FIA or ex-racers would put lives at risk It is already a high-risk sport. I wonder if the FIA will make a statement - and who will decide what today!
today has been busy - rugby - rugby - f 1 - then WSB
After all this sitting down, i shall be getting thin tomorrow (again) lol

Reactions: Vic
OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Yes I did.
Difficult! FIA including Gregorio said it was ok. majority Current riders said no. Jonathan Rea changed his mind - but didn’t need to race at all. Bautista leaving current team end season, so no ongoing loyalty required there.
fortunately there were no accidents, although that’s clearly not the point.
money and TV revenue are such Big Things, but I still Find it difficult to believe that manufacturers, the FIA or ex-racers would put lives at risk It is already a high-risk sport. I wonder if the FIA will make a statement - and who will decide what today!
today has been busy - rugby - rugby - f 1 - then WSB
After all this sitting down, i shall be getting thin tomorrow (again) lol
Same here except it was the Repsol Cup instead of the rugby.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Very very strange.

I think an FIM inspector that said it was not safe will be looking for new employment.

Clearly big sticks have been used on the riders.

What will today bring ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Very very strange.

I think an FIM inspector that said it was not safe will be looking for new employment.

Clearly big sticks have been used on the riders.

What will today bring ?
[/QUOTE
Racing ?
Today has brought an awful lot of an over-excited Greg Haines - he just does not shut up. Even JAmie Whitham is struggling to get a word in. I know I am old because I like Whitham, but the other one does my ‘ed in. or maybe it is just me

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I know I am old because I like Whitham, but the other one does my ‘ed in. or maybe it is just me

Most of the commentators drive us both mad these days. The useless *&^^% never take a breath. We end up with the volume nearly off. They have a deeply rehearsed patter which they keep up no matter what the bikes are doing on the basis that occasionally they get it right and the rest of the time people don't notice. How many times have we heard "he wants to win this race" to which we shout at the TV "they all do that's why they are riding you brain dead moron".

But Whitham, Burnicle, Parrish, Ryder. They know when to talk and know when to give us a rest.

I once sent an email to Parrish "how can you put up with that knob head you are working with ?" and he came back with "well I've had three wives". I hope you've seen his MAD show, it's excellent.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Most of the commentators drive us both mad these days. The useless *&^^% never take a breath. We end up with the volume nearly off. They have a deeply rehearsed patter which they keep up no matter what the bikes are doing on the basis that occasionally they get it right and the rest of the time people don't notice. How many times have we heard "he wants to win this race" to which we shout at the TV "they all do that's why they are riding you brain dead moron".

But Whitham, Burnicle, Parrish, Ryder. They know when to talk and know when to give us a rest.

I once sent an email to Parrish "how can you put up with that knob head you are working with ?" and he came back with "well I've had three wives". I hope you've seen his MAD show, it's excellent.

agree agree agree
ref Parrish, I am tempted to ask Whitham the same question
trouble with the frantic nonstop screeching drivel is that when something really interesting/exciting happens, we miss it because the sound is too low or we have lost the will to listen.

do you remember a tv advert (product unknown) where there was a UK and a US commentator side by side at a tennis match.. The American went for it non stop. uk bloke silent throughout, until the end of the rally/volley (whatever) whereupon he said ‘deuce’...
bring him back - he had the right idea - lol

Ps - no I have not seen Parrish’s show... don’t have sky if it’s on there, we swapped to BT to get MotoGP - losing F1 didn’t matter so much ?
pps I have got used to the enthusiasm of Hewen on Motogp ??
Ppps I bought a tin toy motorcycle from Julian at Uttoxeter or maybe Stafford (can’t remember, I have slept since then)
big smile to you both, susan

OP
OP
TheTwoOfUs
Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I must hear different commentaries to you lot, I thought Ryder was awful. What really annoys me is when a rider overtakes someone on the screen then about a lap later one of the commentators tells you that something must have happened because so and so is now in front. Shut your gobs and watch the race.

Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
I must hear different commentaries to you lot, I thought Ryder was awful. What really annoys me is when a rider overtakes someone on the screen then about a lap later one of the commentators tells you that something must have happened because so and so is now in front. Shut your gobs and watch the race.

Well, we are all different, eh!
We love the racing, but not a fan of the non-stop style of commentary.
I have to admit that my Ken does often comment on something that they ( including screechy non-stop man) say shortly afterwards.
:) Susan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Ps - no I have not seen Parrish’s show...

As far as I know it's never been on TV, it's a stage show run by his daughter for "My Adolescent Dad" where he rambles on and on about his life in racing. Naturally involves Barry Sheen and a brothel toilet he blew up.

Keep your eyes open for it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I must hear different commentaries to you lot, I thought Ryder was awful.

There are a lot of them about. I listen to a MotoGP subscription, a Eurosport subscription and I just bought a tail end cheap WSB subscription because Eurosport thought someone playing with their balls was more important then WSB.

You've mentioned Ryder in the past, you really don't like him but I found he had a really good knowledge of mechanicals and talked at a nice pace, I think he has to now, it's sounded like he has chest problems for years.

I should add Shakey Byrne he knows what he's talking about. Does he actually commentate ? Not sure.

Steve Parrish had a good laugh Australian sidekick once, nice dry humour once I understood him.

Back to actual OP post. The track was poor but did it warrant a mutiny, they could have just gone slow.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back