Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Hi
The below van caught my eye - owner is sending me vids as well as pics of previous damage. Would you consider a cat N van?

<Broken link removed>

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi
The below van caught my eye - owner is sending me vids as well as pics of previous damage. Would you consider a cat N van?

<Broken link removed>
yes I would if properly repaired and the price reflected the previous cat n. It scares some people, but means you can get a bargain

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Yes, but only if I see previous damage and repair.
Saved about £2000 on a Skoda Roomster for Mum by buying CatD. It really was outer door panels and wing replace down one side. Amazed it was written off as bolt on parts.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Depends on original damage but if nothing major don't see why not at the right price of course. We bought a Cat N scooter last year which had only had cosmetic damage but as it was only 2 weeks old when it happened and we assume the owner had 'new for old' cover it was replaced by the insurer. We got it for a good price and the only insurance stipulation was that we had to have it inspected and MOTed (even though it wasn't even a year old), it passed the MOT without issue and the mechanic signed a letter confirming it was okay from a safety etc point of view, no rise in premium from it being a non-Cat N scooter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have personally had several of them because my first husband repaired cars, and so has he - friends queried it even then. He was always more than happy to drive either. I would much rather have such a vehicle that my OH knows where every minute component belongs and has fitted new/replacement parts knowing he's going to be in it either as driver or passenger any number of times thereafter than one whose history is completely unknown.

I'd probably be driving one now were we still together!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
the longer the time span after the 'write off' the better, you wont get a great price when you sell it on, but as youre getting a great price when buying that shouldnt matter

if you were buying a 'write off' for 40/50k then i may be a bit more concerned (unless stolen recovered) but at the price it is then it seems like a good buy. a lot of people lose that kind of money in depreciation after a couple of years use, yet i bet they have no more fun or adventures that you can in a cheaper MH.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Had a few damaged repairables over 30 odd years, always kept them for a few years. Never had a problem insuring them, running them or selling. Wife drives around in a cat D VW eos. Handles like it’s on rails, and had it 5 years. I’ve got pictures of before and after for my record’s. I’d buy another if the price was right.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A bit different with a car. If like us you tend to keep them quite a long time and theres the normal depreciation resale isn't that big a worry. With a MH the effect when you come to sell on the value needs more consideration

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
any secondhand vehicle you buy could have had worse damage and have been repaired privately and not been subject to an insurance claim and you would not know, so I would not worry about buying a category n as long as the price was right as if it gets written off again your insurance company will substantially reduce what they pay out

OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
the longer the time span after the 'write off' the better, you wont get a great price when you sell it on, but as youre getting a great price when buying that shouldnt matter

if you were buying a 'write off' for 40/50k then i may be a bit more concerned (unless stolen recovered) but at the price it is then it seems like a good buy. a lot of people lose that kind of money in depreciation after a couple of years use, yet i bet they have no more fun or adventures that you can in a cheaper MH.

very good point re depreciation

OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for your input Funsters, the chap has been really helpful and sent lots of vids etc. Unfortunately I’ve not been able to get a proper inspection carried out due to timings. He bought it repaired and has no pictures of previous damage which I would of liked to have seen. He has sent me close ups of the repaired area and said he’s never had issues or damp - his kids sleep up there hence the extra tv’s (though he’s not had a damp meter on it). He’s selling as he’s completing on a house Friday coming and needs the money. Can see the logbook etc in his name in the videos he’s send. Hpi check confirms the catN status (he was told the previous owner caught a branch). See attached pics of repaired area and let me know what you think guys - auction ends later.

OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
Pics of damaged side vs other side...
F7C58323-FB47-41D5-B595-634412C2FAAB.jpeg

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I would be concerned, about the Trim Strip on the alleged damage side. To me, it looks as if whoever did the repair did not have access to proper forming tooling and achieved the curve by a series of cuts. If the cosmetic effect does not phase you then providing it checks out damp wise you should be OK. BUT it may put off any subsequent purchaser should you wish to sell on?.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
You can win the auction but if its not as you expected when you go to collect then walk away. I would send him a message saying your bid is conditional on the van having no damp. He has the option to dismiss your but if he doesn't he has accepted your terms.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
That's interesting, I was also looking at this van (as per my wanted ad in the for sale section).
We didn't make an enquiry as it's 208 miles away and I had already noticed the iffy repair.
I'm certain the headboard in the overcab isn't original, perhaps hiding something behind it?
The fact that it's CatN isn't mentioned on the advertisement. I know that by law they don't need to mention it, but a bit naughty nonetheless. Certainly a reminder to do thorough checks before purchasing!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
its at £12100 now, not sure whether thats a good price for a 2004 used van with previous known issues?

OP
OP
S
Jun 18, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since 2010
That's interesting, I was also looking at this van (as per my wanted ad in the for sale section).
We didn't make an enquiry as it's 208 miles away and I had already noticed the iffy repair.
I'm certain the headboard in the overcab isn't original, perhaps hiding something behind it?
The fact that it's CatN isn't mentioned on the advertisement. I know that by law they don't need to mention it, but a bit naughty nonetheless. Certainly a reminder to do thorough checks before purchasing!

I foolishly went to look at/buy an old Hymer at the weekend in Manchester(from Glasgow). Got there and there was a couple already there that had driven up from Devon, bet me by about half an hour. Needless to say it was a wasted trip?
Yep, always check. Though even with checks there’s always an element of risk, we bought a car last year that turned out to be cloned. We checked the vin numbers visually, as well as on the V5 and online whilst we were there and all matched and came back clear. It wasn’t till a few weeks later it came to light it had been cloned - professional job as even the vin under the windscreen had been cloned and look original

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back