Wot's a Blog (made of)? (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
What makes a Blog a Blog?

What’s the difference between a Blog and a Web page?

Is there a particular format or standard?

Are they hosted anywhere in particular?

Is there software to produce and maintain one?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
A blog usually contains any crap you want to wright down
No software no server just words you want to apere on the interweeb.
Bill

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Wordpress is the most commonly used blogging software. You can run it on your own server, or get an account at wordpress.com and they will host it for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A blog usually contains any crap you want to wright down
No software no server just words you want to apere on the interweeb.
Bill

Blogs run on servers and software. Yes there is a lot of poor stuff out there but there are blogs that contain some of the best writing to be found in the world today. You can use them to record the trivial or profound. Many motorhomers use them to record their travels so they can share with friends, family or the world.

We have blogs here, you can set them to public, private or only those you allow to see. If you can post in the forum you can blog. The main difference with a blog post and a forum post is that all comments appear below it. Our blogs will be getting a big makeover soon. If you want to blog outside of Motorhomefun there are lots of options.

1. WordPress.org
  2. WordPress.com
  3. Blogger
  4. Tumblr
  5. Medium
  6. Squarespace
  7. Wix
  8. Joomla
  9. Ghost
  10. Weebly

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Blogs run on servers and software. Yes there is a lot of poor stuff out there but there are blogs that contain some of the best writing to be found in the world today. You can use them to record the trivial or profound. Many motorhomers use them to record their travels so they can share with friends, family or the world.

We have blogs here, you can set them to public, private or only those you allow to see. If you can post in the forum you can blog. The main difference with a blog post and a forum post is that all comments appear below it. Our blogs will be getting a big makeover soon. If you want to blog outside of Motorhomefun there are lots of options.

1. WordPress.org
  2. WordPress.com
  3. Blogger
  4. Tumblr
  5. Medium
  6. Squarespace
  7. Wix
  8. Joomla
  9. Ghost
  10. Weebly
:xsad:
I stand corrected I will get my :getmecoat::imoutahere:

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Still trying to work out what the special ingredients are for a blog.
It's just an on-line diary, isn't it?
If I invited comments, I'd have to manage them. So i don't think I'd want to encourage that as I wouldn't want it to become a burden.
I just want to record our travels and share it with others. Maybe control or record who's accessing it, somehow.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Wordpress.com is really easy to use and is free.

I write my blog on the laptop or iPad using the word processor, Pages in my case, then copy and paste to Wordpress when I'm ready to upload it. Photos are reduced in size so that they upload quickly on my slow internet at home.

With a blog the latest upload is usually at the top of the page so that you have to scroll down for earlier posts. It does make the blog seem a bit disjointed if you are reading the blog for the first time or trying to catch up with older posts.
You are able to make the blog public so that all can see it or keep it private and then specify who are able to read it. Comments can be switched on or off.

It's a good way of recording and remembering trips or things that interest you and it can be good to read back through those summer holidays on a dreary winters day.

Have a go and good luck.

Richard.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Thanks, Richard.
I'll do that.
Do you know if you can allow access to identifiable users (e-mail account)?

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
And what about hosting?
I'd rather place mine on my own (firewalled) server using old kit. What are the essentials?
I don't like the idea of losing control or ownership of the material posted.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
And what about hosting?
I'd rather place mine on my own (firewalled) server using old kit. What are the essentials?
Sorry, can't answer that one.
I don't worry about control, after all it's only holiday photos and memories. If anyone wants to copy them I really couldn't care less, in fact I would be pleased that they thought my ramblings or photos were worth nicking. :xgrin:
Of course, if your blog contains confidential material that you need to keep safe it would be different but then, why would you put them in a blog?

Richard.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm thinking of placing more than just a diary up. The diary might be of interest to family & friends.
The other material would be of greater value (How to ...) based on years of experience. I'm happy to share this but want to keep the credit for it.
I don't pay people to do what I can do myself, so want to avoid the cost of hosting if it's unnecessary.
If I wanted to publish to the world and its cousins, I could join FB.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
And what about hosting?
Pdefectly safe on Wordpress servers - you can also add VaultPress which takes continuous backups of your blog in case of disaster. In several years I have never had a problem.

You should also use Akismet which blocks spam messages and the like.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back